Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
or more generally, is it mandatory to have iTunes (either PC or Mac) in order to use Apple TV?

i find it pretty tempting since it would work nicely with the AEBS, but it would be useless for me if it can't play .avi movies. i have a huge collection of .avi movies which will be a pain if i have to convert all of them to the formats that's playable by Apple TV. not to mention that many of the movies come with subtitle files, which i'm wondering how Apple TV will handle it?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

That's all we know so far. No mention of even what containers (MOV, M4V, ...) it supports.

We'll find out more in March. :(

B

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
from that page you gave me, it looks like all it supports is H.264. then it's too bad for what it can do cause a Xbox (not 360) running XBMC can do a lot more and better than that:confused:

DankoTheHun

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
Chat with Apple

i chatted with whoever mans the Apple chatting function on therir online store and he said "If it plays in Quicktime, it will play on the AppleTV."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.