Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which notes app do you use?

• Onenote

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Apple Notes

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • Notability

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Good Notes

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Evernote

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Evernote. It works very well cross-platform. When I started out with it, my devices were a couple of Windows PCs, an iPhone, and an Android tablet.

Mercaptan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
I take a lot of work notes that need handwriting recognition and search capability. It's not been easy. So I've been experimenting with two tools.

Nebo
Uses the MyScript handwriting recognition engine and easily converts handwritten notes to typed right on the iPad. Notebook organizational system is a bit primitive and there's no global search capability (you can only search within individual pages). But the handwriting recognition is so good. I suspect someone will soon buy up MyScript. Hopefully they'll integrate it into something useful.

OneNote
I like their notebook and tabbed organization system. Also love their replication across multiple machines and online. There is searchable handwriting recognition, but it doesn't convert to text on the iPad. My handwriting is horrible so good conversion is important to me. I don't like actually taking notes on it as much.

MyScript iOS keyboard
This lets me bring some of MyScript's handwriting recognition power to things like OneNote. It works really well, but you lose things like easy note editing that you have in Nebo.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm using a couple actually. Wish I could just just use one, but ah. Oh well.

I've used and liked notability for years. It's great for marking up PDF and really everything else. The tight iCloud integration make it the perfect device to use between iPhone and iPad. Only problem? Zero compatibility with windows! Wtf man?

That's where I use one note. I can't say how damn cool the organization system is and how it separates things into separate "notebooks" just as you would if you were in school or something. Plus the color options, paper options that look beautifully paper white, text and editing options AND THE FACT THAT IT IS ON EVERY PLATFORM. I can make some notes about stuff on my iPad Pro and then get on a windows pc and boom. It's all right there!

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I have an iPad Pro 9.7 inch. I am a photographer that doesn't like a lot of paperwork. I am trying to find a solution to keeping up with my PDFs. I have client files on my iMac or should I say iCloud Drive. I am trying to locate the best way to annotate and highlight relevant information for wedding details. I currently use Onenote. I have been known to change my note apps from day to day. I used to use Evernote, but I left them earlier this year and hadn't thought of going back. I have used the Apple notes app also. I also have Notability and GoodNotes. I like Onenote because of how easy it is to organize my notes. I can also write notes next to whatever I type. I can even cross things out with the Apple Pencil. But today, I found out that I cannot highlight PDFs. Is there something that I'm missing? Which notes app do you use and why?

If you've got a MacBook or iMac, good notes I'd awe they have a mac app. You can see your notes nas work with them in your mac too with Dropbox or other sync.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Can you highlight PDFs or mark on them?
[doublepost=1479604078][/doublepost]I actually find Apple Notes hard to beat.
It's actually really easy to beat apple notes. Prettty much every notes app out there beats it. Even the simplest ones in terms of functionality and features.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Fact is there is no good app for Mac and iOS. They all have trade offs. its a shame. Still waiting for someone to develop a decent one

LOL, and things are better on Windows?

iOS actually has the best selection of notes apps of any platform, IMO. It's a huge part of the reason I stick with an iPad, despite also owning a Surface Pro.

Reactions: sracer

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i use MacJournal but
this app has not been updated in a while for either macOS or iOS. It has not been working for me on my iPhone5, ios10.1 as it hangs up on dropBox

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
LOL, and things are better on Windows?

iOS actually has the best selection of notes apps of any platform, IMO. It's a huge part of the reason I stick with an iPad, despite also owning a Surface Pro.

No I don't think windows is any better. I agree, the selection is good, there just isn't one that suits me at the moment. Evernote is almost what I want, but I don't really like how they handle documents within notes. I am still at the point where I dont exactly know how the ultimate app would look for me, but I know nothing is really perfect for me at the moment.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Half the replies didn't even read your post.

You should try PDF Expert by Readdle.

If you try PDF Expert, don't forget to download Documents 5. It integrates PDF Expert when you install that, so you get all the pdf expert functions. But it also gives a lot of organisation, file management and integration of cloud services like iCloud, dropbox, webdav and a whole host of others.
Serious good programs together.

Reactions: ardchoille50

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I have an iPad Pro 9.7 inch. I am a photographer that doesn't like a lot of paperwork. I am trying to find a solution to keeping up with my PDFs. I have client files on my iMac or should I say iCloud Drive. I am trying to locate the best way to annotate and highlight relevant information for wedding details. I currently use Onenote. I have been known to change my note apps from day to day. I used to use Evernote, but I left them earlier this year and hadn't thought of going back. I have used the Apple notes app also. I also have Notability and GoodNotes. I like Onenote because of how easy it is to organize my notes. I can also write notes next to whatever I type. I can even cross things out with the Apple Pencil. But today, I found out that I cannot highlight PDFs. Is there something that I'm missing? Which notes app do you use and why?
Have you tried Bear Notes and Outline?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Outline looks interesting. Anyone have any comments?
Outline is basically a 3rd party version of OneNote (at least that is how I used it before Microsoft offered a native version of OneNote for iOS)

But take that with a grain of salt because I haven't used Outline since OneNote became available. Things might have changed with Outline to offer it something above and beyond OneNote.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Apple Notes for quick Jots
Notability for handwritten notes

And though not listed, Quiver for my general note-gathering and persistent notes place.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I use PDF Expert for PDF reading and annotating. I especially like the continious vertical scrolling.

Apple Notes for taking notes. Very easy to use, sync is great since iOS 9 and it has more functionality than expected at first look.

I stopped with handwritten notes, but found Noteshelf the most fluid app for handwriting.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

fivetoedbear

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
I use GoodNotes, because of the MyScript-driven handwriting recognition. The exported PDFs have the text in them, so when I export them to Evernote, they're still searchable.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Still trying out Bear Notes, with mixed feelings. On one hand, I love the added formatting options, but I am still not sure if it's worth an annual subscription.

OscarMontanez

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Bogota
I was using notes plus and I was rather happy with it. It has variety of pens (fountain, ballpoint, even calligraphy pen), the interface is quite nice and it has plenty of options.

That was until a friend of mine was using good notes and showed me the find function. Most functionalities are similar but the deal breaker was the ability in good notes to search for words that have been handwritten. It is quite accurate and it is incredibly useful. Notes plus does not have this unfortunately, so in my opinion the scale goes to good notes. I still like notes plus more, specially for the calligraphy pen, but until they add the possibility of searching I'd still use good notes.

For the search function, it somehow does OCR or handwritten recognition on the go, quite amazing if you ask me.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I was using notes plus and I was rather happy with it. It has variety of pens (fountain, ballpoint, even calligraphy pen), the interface is quite nice and it has plenty of options.

That was until a friend of mine was using good notes and showed me the find function. Most functionalities are similar but the deal breaker was the ability in good notes to search for words that have been handwritten. It is quite accurate and it is incredibly useful. Notes plus does not have this unfortunately, so in my opinion the scale goes to good notes. I still like notes plus more, specially for the calligraphy pen, but until they add the possibility of searching I'd still use good notes.

For the search function, it somehow does OCR or handwritten recognition on the go, quite amazing if you ask me.
IT uses the myscript software. Take a look at Nebo as well, it's magical!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.