Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've been an Apple TV+ subscriber since launch (mostly due to the free couple of years I got with some Apple purchases), but haven't seen a ton of the shows exclusive to the platform. Looking for something new on there to watch but only really looking for recommendations of shows you really love, not shows that are merely 'watchable'.

Out of the shows I've watched, here's what I've liked and disliked:

Servant - ✅
See - ✅
Ted Lasso - ❌
The Morning Show - ❌

Everything else I haven't seen. Not convinced by Foundation based on the reviews but For All Mankind seems to have some good reactions?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I like half of For All Mankind. When épisodes are about the big History with a big H but when on the small history like adoption, racism, alcoholism, dead child, it’s boring.

not at all related but you can try Little America, it’s great except the one with the stupid French girl that is silent.

EDIT: Mysthic Quest is fun to watch, although season 2 is less good.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We quite enjoyed Home Before Dark Defending Jacob, Trying, Mosquito Coast and Tehran.

Dickinson was decent... Physical has shown a bit of potential.

Did not care for For All Mankind, See or Servant ... The Morning Show was meh, and Mystic Quest was pretty mind-numbing, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewBench

GrampaJiiji

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2018
Overlooking The Bay
For me, it depends on the mood I'm in when I start to watch.
I've given up on some of the content midway through an episode, only to go back to it much later and been pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed it.
So my recommendation is, give them more than one shot.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
The big one I expect other people to mention, like Mystic Quest.

Some slightly less talked about ones:
Dickinson was well written, I feel it captured the character well while also being pretty funny.
Calls was one of my favorite things on TV recently. I normally multitask shows while doing other stuff, but Calls was the first thing that totally captured my attention for every episode.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Ted Lasso - ❌
Care to explain why you didn't like Ted Lasso? That way we can make better recommendations for you.

Besides the ones you already mentioned I liked the following:

Dickinson
Mythic Quest

If you are interested in Docuseries:
Tiny World
Earth at night in color

Movies:
Wolfwakers

Documentations:
The Year Earth Changed

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Care to explain why you didn't like Ted Lasso? That way we can make better recommendations for you.
Just didn't find it very funny or engaging. I stopped watching after the first 3 episodes of season one. Maybe I need to give it another chance. My kind of humour is more The Office (US version), Parks and Rec, Borat/Bruno etc.

Reactions: ackmondual

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Will given Dickinson, Calls and maybe Mythic Quest a try.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Morning Show, Truth Be Told, Dickson, Little Voices ( I listen to all the songs a lot), Tiny World (great camera work) same for Earth at Night in Color. For All Mankind.

Could never get into Calls, absolutely hate Ted Lasso, I tried to watch several episodes, not funny to me. I am sick of Apple using the same stupid grin on ATV+ all the time, over hyped and over promoted.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I've been an Apple TV+ subscriber since launch (mostly due to the free couple of years I got with some Apple purchases), but haven't seen a ton of the shows exclusive to the platform. Looking for something new on there to watch but only really looking for recommendations of shows you really love, not shows that are merely 'watchable'.

Servant - ✅
See - ✅
Ted Lasso - ❌
The Morning Show - ❌

Everything else I haven't seen. Not convinced by Foundation based on the reviews but For All Mankind seems to have some good reactions?
I would recommend Acapulco, but for selfish reasons. I started the discussion thread, but it hasn't generated much traction. Haha.

Seriously though, I love a lot of these shows.

For All Mankind
Home Before Dark
Amazing Stories - the first episode and the one with Robert Forster were excellent

I'm watching Acapulco and Foundation right now, and both are very entertaining ... in very different ways.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Sort of disappointed more folks don’t mention See. I think it’s a great show. Hopefully we get a third season. I also love For All Mankind. Can’t wait for the next season. If you are not into sci-fi and haven’t watched Defending Jacob, give that a try. Fantastic drama.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Sort of disappointed more folks don’t mention See. I think it’s a great show. Hopefully we get a third season. I also love For All Mankind. Can’t wait for the next season. If you are not into sci-fi and haven’t watched Defending Jacob, give that a try. Fantastic drama.
I believe they've just finished shooting the third season of See.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
For All Mankind and See are both great shows. Definitely worth paying for a month, if you have to, just to binge them.

The first episode of Invasion bored me though.

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010

Servant - ✅
See - ✅
Ted Lasso - ❌
The Morning Show - ❌

For All Mankind is solid. Foundation is almost over so you should be able to binge it real soon. I am more of a comedy-guy so while you probably wouldn't like most of my recommendations I will agree with For All Mankind being worth watching.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
For myself, I'll be getting Apple TV+ soon and have added to my "watchlist"... The Morning Show, Ted Lasso, Defending Jacob, Central Park, See, and Foundation. These were already brought up.

Also add Central Park and CODA

If movies are in-scope, then I'll add Greyhound (aka "that WW2 film with Tom Hanks)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
For myself, I'll be getting Apple TV+ soon and have added to my "watchlist"... The Morning Show, Ted Lasso, Defending Jacob, Central Park, See, and Foundation. These were already brought up.

Also add Central Park and CODA

If movies are in-scope, then I'll add Greyhound (aka "that WW2 film with Tom Hanks)
Most of us in this forum are tech oriented, so Mythic Quest is relevant and pretty funny. It really has no business being as good as it is, but it really does work. Season 2 features CW in several episodes and they’re the real highlight of the season.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
One of the unique things about Apple TV+ is that their catalog is so new that you literally can watch all of it if you wanted to. It's not like they have a back catalog of 20 years of stuff to sift through.

My advice? Just try them all. You will know if it grabs you or not in short order. The best part is, you aren't relying on someone else's opinion of the show to make choices for you. You may find that the title or mini-writeup is not really indicative of the actual content.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My recommendations are, mainly, the shows I’ve seen so far (because I’ve liked them):

- Foundation
- Severance

And even if it is more “listen to” rather than “watch”, definitely take a look at Calls

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Tiny World is probably the best documentary series I’ve seen on any service. The Earth at Night is also excellent.

Tehran is very good — the only non-documentary that I actually looked forward to — glad they have a second season coming.

WeCrashed so far is great — I wish there were more of these types of shows — dramas about businesses and how they started — lots of material — all of them have drama!

iDaniel88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Norway
I've watched and liked

The Morning Show
Defending Jacob
Lincoln's Dilemma
9/11: Inside the President's War Room

Looking forward to watch Pachinko soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.