Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I have three iPads (2 iPad 2's and 2 iPad 3). We are a family of 4. In our most recent car purchase we skipped the DVD player. I decided we'd use the iPads instead since we hasn't used the ones in the car in a long time. Yes I know the projectile risks.

Now, I'm tempted to make the iPads for home and get different devices for taking in the car or restaurants etc... But it seems excessive;). I carry all the iPads in my own bag and keep track of them bc my kids are young. My oldest also wants to start carrying around something for music. My youngest loves the size of my iPhone 5... So I was thinking of the new iPod Touch... One for each of them. They'd be lighter to carry and easier to manage and I think my oldest would love to carry it around listening to music. I've thought about an iPad mini but I think at home it is nice to have the full screen. Any thoughts?

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
No opinions?

You didn't say how old your kids are...but if it were me, I'd get the iPods for traveling anywhere. I have an iPad and an iPod Touch, and I think the Touch is almost like having a mini iPad. It can do everything, and it's certainly portable. My iPad doesn't charge in the car, but my iPod does, when I have it plugged into the USB port. That's another good thing when traveling, especially if the kids are using power by watching videos, playing games, etc. :)

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
My 9 year old has just got my old 4g touch. He's made up as he can play games on, he doesn't much care for the music.
My six year old has a shuffle as she loves listening to music, so different children, different needs!

I don't take my ipad out on family outings, i think it's too big to be honest.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for those two replies. I didn't include their ages bc I'm sure there will be a backlash as many people have opinions... Especially those without kids. My chikdren are 2.5 and 6 years old. I'm thinking IPod touches might be nice. I would have gotten the 2.5 year old an iPad mini if it had been available before... But his refurbished iPad 2 was actually cheaper;).

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Thanks for those two replies. I didn't include their ages bc I'm sure there will be a backlash as many people have opinions... Especially those without kids. My chikdren are 2.5 and 6 years old. I'm thinking IPod touches might be nice. I would have gotten the 2.5 year old an iPad mini if it had been available before... But his refurbished iPad 2 was actually cheaper;).

You can get what ever you feel is good for your kids because you are the parent. However I would recommend if you do get touches that you also get cases like this one http://store.griffintechnology.com/survivor-ipod-touch-5th-gen it will most likely save it more than once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.