Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
just a heads up that if you are going to do this, be prepared to drop your life at any given moment. i looked into as another line to my business, but the turnaround times can be as short as 2 days. it's great if you can drop everything, but if you can't (as I couldn't), try not committing to something you can't follow through on.

You are right though...it is big business.

Cheers,
Keebler

how much would you charge, roughly

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
I think "providing the song" means the client says put this song in there because it means a lot to us, not actually writing and playing the music, therefore copyrights must be applicable at some point because you are using a bands song to make you money?

What I was referring to by 'providing' was that the client owns the CD, hands it to me to add to the slideshow, then I return the CD to them and don't keep any copies of the song. This would be no different then the client simply playing the CD during the slideshow, only it is integrated. I believe fair use allows them to make a copy of the music they own, as long as they don't hand out copies of the DVD. This is the way I view it, but IANAL.
I have a side gig making these, and that is the way I have described it to anyone I have made one for. If they don't have a song they want, I have them pay me $2 to purchase it for them and I give the song to them on CD afterwards, and I don't keep a copy. In my opinion that is the same as them buying the song, letting me use the CD, and returning it to them.
My website is:
http://www.iowadigitalproductions.com

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I'm an amateur, but my slideshows are pretty good, and I've got twenty-one one youtube right now.

Link, or it didn't happen! ;) But really, why not show us and we can get an idea of the quality of work you do; artistically speaking. :)

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
What I was referring to by 'providing' was that the client owns the CD, hands it to me to add to the slideshow, then I return the CD to them and don't keep any copies of the song. This would be no different then the client simply playing the CD during the slideshow, only it is integrated. I believe fair use allows them to make a copy of the music they own, as long as they don't hand out copies of the DVD. This is the way I view it, but IANAL.
I have a side gig making these, and that is the way I have described it to anyone I have made one for. If they don't have a song they want, I have them pay me $2 to purchase it for them and I give the song to them on CD afterwards, and I don't keep a copy. In my opinion that is the same as them buying the song, letting me use the CD, and returning it to them.
My website is:

Now is that entirely right, or is this just how you think it should be done?

So if I go and buy an itunes song for $1 and put it on the slideshow dvd, than that means i do not have to pay royalties or anyything?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My website is:

The "read the fine print" in me says that you're probably on the wrong side of the license for personal use they get with the song in providing something they might use for a public performance, or something they've ripped in the way of contributory infringement, but I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on the 'Net. I'd definitely talk to a lawyer and I'd read whatever terms come with wherever you're buying the song to see if you're allowed to relicense or transfer the license. In either case, I'd get good liability insurance because even if you're covering the bases it doesn't mean you won't be sued, just that you'll likely prevail if you are.

pixelgal

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
What I was referring to by 'providing' was that the client owns the CD, hands it to me to add to the slideshow, then I return the CD to them and don't keep any copies of the song. This would be no different then the client simply playing the CD during the slideshow, only it is integrated. I believe fair use allows them to make a copy of the music they own, as long as they don't hand out copies of the DVD. This is the way I view it, but IANAL. ...

I am responding, even though this thread is old, because it still comes up on search engines. There are a lot of misconceptions about the use of other people's music for one's own projects.

"This would be no different than the client simply playing the CD only it is integrated."
Unfortunately, it is different. I can't go into the details because IANAL either.

Here is what *I* have found about using music in a business.

Unless you work by yourself in your office, and have no clients in it, you are supposed to get a license to play music in a business. I am not exaggerating when I say this includes playing iTunes purchased music while showing your photos.

Any time you put music INTO another product like a flash slide show or a DVD, you must obtain rights to do so. Even if you GIVE your customer the product for free, you STILL cannot do this legally. You are enhancing your product with someone's music. If you want popular music, it's going to cost a lot more than just buying a song from iTunes. It is *not* ok to put music in your products without paying for the rights to do so, even if your customer bought the music and handed it to you.

That said... I would recommend taking a look at someone like GMP Music. It's the simplest way to put music on your projects and not having to worry about copyright infringement or the possibility of getting stung by a $120,000 fee. The music is nice for a background to a slide show, and reasonably priced.

Have you ever heard the term "elevator music"? It's inane music that plays in elevators, retail stores, and some lower end restaurants. It sucks because it's *cheap*. But the cost of playing popular music is more than some business are willing to pay. [Actually for quality restaurants I think the fee is reasonable but that's according to my limited understanding of how the fees work]

In closing, this is a complicated subject. To keep it simple, remember that nothing is free, and if you steal it, you are risking a fine. Use music which you have obtained the rights to use.

Pix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.