Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you ever consider switching to Android?

• Yes

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 61.0%

• Total voters

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
So I've used iPhone since I was a student and don't plan to change anytime soon - although I have a Macbook and several iPhones, I am not a blind Apple fanboy - I am open to change but only if Android can deliver something as good as iPhone.

I like that you can backup and restore on new models, it is a seamless process. The best reason I stay on iPhone is reliability and performance. Apps just perform better, run cleaner, smother on iOS compared to Android.

Android seems a bit more blocky and stuttery compared to iOS.

But if Android ever was to deliver iOS levels of reliability and stability and a smooth experience like iOS - I would love to switch.

What about you, what could make you switch to Android, if anything?

Reactions: Cape Dave

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I already made that choice when the iPhone 7/7+ launched.

Apple doesn't want to change the design element of that big ugly camera bump, they don't get my money.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
depends on which company innovates more and provides an interesting prospect, android and iOS are so close nowadays that the differences become minimal/marginal in terms of differentiation. Obviously iPhones will have the fastest chip available but nowadays I'm seeing the speed difference becoming negligible, android phones did come a long way... and also i'm flexible with android and iOS i can use both easily without much issues as I'm a techie.

c0LdFire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Well designed hardware that doesn't run like trash after 6 months, and guaranteed OS updates for 5-6 years - at least security updates.

OS-wise, I prefer it to iOS (why the HELL can't I change my default browser still, Apple!?), but I enjoy build quality and reliable updates more than the differences are worth to me.

I'd also need a Linux laptop with good build quality (and don't suggest the Dell XPS line, because it blows. Coil whine anybody?). I enjoy the integration with my Mac and would replace it at the same time if I switched.

Reactions: BooBee

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
$1500 entry level iPhone is all what it will take for me to totally switch to Android.

$1100 current price is already too much for the functionality offered. Can’t even bloody torrent on that device.

BooBee

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2018
New York City
I had Android for several years from HTC Incredible (v1) to Samsung S3 and for me while I love what Samsung creates I hate the android OS. I switched to Apple mostly for the security, updates and basically the ease of use; "It just works!" While I do own every Apple product except the dumb speaker I don't consider myself a die hard fanboy I will always give honest feedback to friends and family suggesting either a Samsung flag ship device or Apple. I'll differentiate them as both being great but Samsung is more customizable including user installed expanded memory. I'll even admit Samsung devices often times takes better pictures but that's just my opinion.

So to answer your question directly, I'd never switch back to the Android OS BUT I would go back to a Samsung device if it ran iOS. LOL

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If Android ever became the best overall choice when it came to performance, security, privacy, ecosystem, apps, and support, I would consider it. It would need to be all of those things though, and not just one. Features and specs don’t mean much to me when it comes to a platform choice.

Reactions: jeffg819

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Well designed hardware that doesn't run like trash after 6 months, and guaranteed OS updates for 5-6 years - at least security updates.

OS-wise, I prefer it to iOS (why the HELL can't I change my default browser still, Apple!?), but I enjoy build quality and reliable updates more than the differences are worth to me.

I'd also need a Linux laptop with good build quality (and don't suggest the Dell XPS line, because it blows. Coil whine anybody?). I enjoy the integration with my Mac and would replace it at the same time if I switched.

thats funny. apple asked me did i want to use Google Chrome or safari at one point [but i just stuck to safari since 3d touch works better on safari vs Google chrome for iOS]

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Build quality. The only Android manufacturer that comes close to Apple's build quality is Samsung. But they suck at software. There are two versions of core apps (the Google version + Samsung version), plus they won't let you reprogram their terrible Bixby assistant to the much better Google assistant.

What would it take me to switch? Pixel software on Samsung-level quality hardware.

Reactions: Cape Dave

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
There’s no ecosystem that can compare to Apple’s. Google needs to fix the App Store. It’s so bad. Apps look bad on Android versus iOS. And of course iMessage and FaceTime are deal breakers for me.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I would not move to Android unless Apple no longer existed and there were no other options. I do not trust Google, it is an evil company. I avoid it like the actual plague it is.

boomer11

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Build quality. The only Android manufacturer that comes close to Apple's build quality is Samsung. But they suck at software. There are two versions of core apps (the Google version + Samsung version), plus they won't let you reprogram their terrible Bixby assistant to the much better Google assistant.

What would it take me to switch? Pixel software on Samsung-level quality hardware.

you can easily reprogram the bixby button to google assistant or to open flash light or your camera or anything else you want.

you can also use ANY app you set as default whether its the google or samsung or any other version. so in that sense, its way less limit than google.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
If OnePlus ever got their **** together. I've had two of their devices. The One and the 5. The 5 was lightning quick with the 8gb of ram. And dash charge is something that I still miss very much.

But their updates are very hit or miss. And their cameras have always been subpar, at best. I know for the price you pay, you have to expect compromises though

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
My smartphones have always been iPhones. However, I bought a Nexus 7 tablet five years ago to learn about the Android OS. It was a great tablet in its day, and I still have it. A few months ago, there was a sale on Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 tablets and I bought one of those. I mostly use it for media consumption. Android gives you lots of customization options, and adding storage is cheap.

I have a 2017 iMac, an old Macbook Pro (mid-2009 and still running) and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. All excellent machines. I also built my own Windows gaming desktop.

I'm brand agnostic, and I'll buy whatever meets my needs. The only thing that stops me from trying an Android phone is my Apple watch. I love the watch and I need an iPhone to use all of its functionality.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
I started on iOS, went to windows phone, did a 8 month stint on android and ended a contract early to come back to iOS with the 8+. I tried, I gave it my best shot - but I just didn't like it. I could never get it android to play nice with my car, it took a lot of work to make it play nice with my ipad, and of course, the whole issues with updates and google and their "privacy". I was glad to come back to iOS (though I still wish Windows was a thing.. except for the app gap, i LOVED that platform).

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
The only Android phone I'd seriously consider moving to at the moment would be Google's Pixel line, I like getting updates ASAP. I had Pixel XL for a while before selling it away, but their phones don't feel as premium as iPhones do for some reason. As long as Apple keeps up to date with competition at a reasonable price (albeit slightly overpriced) I'll probably be sticking around.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nothing. And that has nothing to do with any competitor hardware, I just generally don’t like android, what concerns me most is the lack of continued support with android devices for two years versus iOS offers five years typically at minimum.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
over the last 10 years of iPhone ownership I've tried going to android several times. I barely make it a day before I'm putting my SIM back into my iPhone. You'd have to put iOS on it before I could think about switching :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.