Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you ever consider switching to Android?

• Yes

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 61.0%

• Total voters

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
So I can install antivirus?
So I can have Virus and Malware warnings daily?
So I can buy/trade a new phone every few weeks to have the "newest"
So I have to find a UI I like and always have to import it to every new phone?
So i have to root my new phone to install the above UI?
So i'd have to spend a bunch of money to get the same apps I have on the iPhone? (or pirate them)
So I can send MORE personal data to Google? (look it up, Google even sends data when you say NO)

iOS isn't perfect, but it's a Hell of a lot better than Android.

Reactions: Pipper99

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
It would take something very dramatic. I don’t use any Google services outside of search. I just don’t like their business model, so I avoid them as much as possible.

The phone is a pretty personal device. So much of my life is on there, so I feel I really need to have trust in the company that makes it that nothing nefarious is or could come down the road. I don’t have that feeling about Google, so I don’t use their stuff. And that includes Android.

Reactions: TheBacklash

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I tried to switch 3 times: Pixel XL, Galaxy S8+, (both returned), and I currently have a Note 8. Android is nice, but I've never found it as smooth as iOS: scrolling and general navigation seem less fluid and somewhat stutter in my experience. After I customized the heck out of those devices and took a deep dive into learning how to best use the OS, I found that I primarily preferred the defaults. I had to run Device Maintenance fairly often to get performance back to optimal. I prefer Android's Notifications and Always on Display to iOS, but otherwise, iOS is just more enjoyable for me. I haven't found a compelling reason to switch.

Android is a great OS, but I simply prefer iOS.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
I’ve switched to android for a short while in the past. What would it take for me to switch now? Hell to freeze over.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Privacy. It will take privacy at least on par with my perception of Apple.

Privacy should be a fundamental human right. Everything else is negotiable.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Better security and more features built into the OS rather than needing separate Apps.

And the design snob in me says more phones that look like the Essential phone (including the tear drop notch).

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I’ve had many Android phones. Usually by someone else’s recommendation but I always go back to iPhone. My last android experience was the S8+. It’s shocking how Samsung get away with doubling up on every app and don’t get me started on bixby. Either use android or make your own damn OS!!!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't think I could ever switch to Android full time. I have played around with several Android models over the years and none of them have made me want to sell the iPhone I owned at the time. And with my iPad Pro, Apple Watch and MacBook working seamlessly together, it wouldn't make sense for me to move to Android.

cbarnes3121

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
for me to switch to android they would have to pay me 500 a month in cash, include naked pics of every male celeb that i like and pay my phone bill for life

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
For me it’s the price.

I bought my SE for 240€ and i am not willing to pay more than that.

I use my phone primarily for browsing, calls, messages, emails and sometimes banking and YouTube.

So for what I do it simply isn’t justified to pay beginning at 550€ for an iPhone.

I can do that with every Android for below 200€ in the same way.

I will switch to Xiaomi soon. Build quality is excellent and they offer security updates for years.

Bought one for my dad two years ago and last week i checked his phone again. It was speedy like on his first day, no adware or system crashes. My father is 75 and always had problems with his phones, so he bought a new one every two years. But this time he wants to keep it, because everything just works.

I like iOS, but i can’t justify their price politics anymore.

djkinetic

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
To those of u saying Android isn't as smooth as iOS have u tried running Pie on a Pixel 2 XL its just as smooth as iOS 12 the only thing is that Android scrolling seems faster and not as natural due to how it's handled by the OS..alot of ppl who shy away from Android haven't used Android the way Google intended..yes Google has a long way to go with hardware design..I wish u could run stock Android on a Samsung device by default..but the amount of flexibility you have with Android is leaps and bounds better than iOS..I'm a supporter of technology that enriches an individuals life as such I don't have blind loyalty to brands...often I'll carry my pixel 2 XL along with whatever iPhone I have...the only thing I wish is that Google gets their wearable game on track as nothing compares to the Apple watch atm..there are some new Android wearables slated to come out with the new qcom SOC for wearables hopefully that kickstarts the Android wearables market. Bottomline is that each ecosystem has its benefits and cons but don't just blindly dismiss either one..use what fits u and don't trash users of the other side. There's some things Google does better than apple..and apple does some things better than apple..using both affords u the chance to get the best of both.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Build quality. The only Android manufacturer that comes close to Apple's build quality is Samsung. But they suck at software. There are two versions of core apps (the Google version + Samsung version), plus they won't let you reprogram their terrible Bixby assistant to the much better Google assistant.

What would it take me to switch? Pixel software on Samsung-level quality hardware.

You can program the bixby button to anything you want.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I tried going to Android, tried the LG G7 ThinQ, the flow, fluidity and ecosystem is not at the level of iOS. (I have the iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro) I tried replacing everything with Google, it just didn’t work for me.

Mac OS is still superior to Chrome or Windows 10, this is in turn makes iOS more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.