Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
now, those pictures, well i think you nailed the dashboard one, if it is yours. the rest are clichés that have been done many times and nothing really outstanding or WOW.

I will say this however: looking back at how you struggled with lighting your girlfriend only a few months back, you are either a child prodigy in terms of getting to grasps with photographic concepts that you had 0 clue about, or those pictures are not taken by you.

1. Yes its my picture look at the Exif (timestamp), if you want MORE proof, tell me -.- (I'll post the original not cropped version if you REALY want )

2. Studio Lightning and Avaiable lightning are 2 different things imho. I learned allot in the past couple month/weeks From what Aperture means, How to choose the ISO correctly and all that, I think you can see my progress when looking at my Photostream... I was a total noob a couple of weeks ago, but now i shoot in M mode most of the time , I feel like i NEED the controll :rolleyes: also ALL the kudos go to this Forum

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
what is the point of this thread? Are you not creative enough, that you need advice of what to shoot with a 1Ds3? And you are in Spain!!!

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
what is the point of this thread? Are you not creative enough, that you need advice of what to shoot with a 1Ds3? And you are in Spain!!!

The Point is (apparently nobody figured ) That I would be so kind to Post pictures made with this camera on REQUEST, so that people who are interested in this camera (prospective buyers or just Nerds like me) can see how the Camera acts in any situation they like.

a sort of Interactive Review you could say :cool:

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I've got a challenge for you:

Take a bunch of shots with that 28-135 IS USM at f/8 and see if you can convince your friend that a 1DsIII is just too much camera for that lens (especially at the long end)...

Why? you think the resolution is to High for the Lens or what? :eek:
I'll have to try that though, I think I will make some comparison shot with the 100-400 L ;)

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
2. Studio Lightning and Avaiable lightning are 2 different things imho. I learned allot in the past couple month/weeks From what Aperture means, How to choose the ISO correctly and all that, I think you can see my progress when looking at my Photostream... I was a total noob a couple of weeks ago, but now i shoot in M mode most of the time , I feel like i NEED the controll :rolleyes: also ALL the kudos go to this Forum

So you "found" a 5dMk2 a year ago but all the way until 2 weeks prior, you were a total noob who didn't even know what aperture was... and now you're Mr. Pro shooting M mode all the time? Yeah.

Anyways, the point I think everyone is trying to make is that nobody is interested in having you post "interactive review" picture samples of the 1DsMk3. So if you actually have the camera, go out and take some pictures for yourself and not for us.

Ruahrc

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Most Photographers take years to learn to use everything properly to shoot in M mode, but it takes you 2 weeks.

right.

The exif data etc. from those pics are worth nothing. Your friend is a pro shooter so comparing your last low light pictures , which left a lot to be desired, to the car trails and your other pictures compared to the new ones. I would almost be inclined to say that you uploaded them to your flickr but you did not take them.

I had a Canon 5d mark 2 and felt it was too much of a camera (partly though I switched from nikon to Canon, and now back), so you coming from absolute noobness to mostly manual shooting in 2 months?

brothers and sisters, it's a miracle.. rejoice for the world will witness him walking on water next.

how about giving something meaningful to this forum and not just these funky posts.
If i want to spend 4k on a camera, i don't need an interactive review from a 20 year old who is, by his self declaration, a noob. I need to read reviews from REAL photographers and the internet is full of them. Lastly, i gave you subject matter and you told me that you are busy going on shootings of german celebrities etc. (yea... sure). Now what kind of review is this when you can't shoot anything because you are "on shootings"?

get your facts and stories straight for gods sake, you are digging your hole so deep, you can barely get sunlight down there anymore.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Me thinks that some of you are taking this thread too seriously. Relax a little and enjoy it. The guy is having a good time in Spain, and is being friendly enough in this forum. No need to get so upset :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Wait... why are you criticizing some P&S POS shots? i did not even think about comp. or anything really....

But you are right about the Photographer > Gear :D

Every shot you take is a reflection of you as a photographer. The fact that you feel the need to point out they were taken with a P&S speaks volumes- not one of my criticisms applies to the fact the camera was a P&S. If you have to think about "comp. or anything" then in my book, you're not the person to be taking evaluation shots of a high-end body.

You self-selected these as your "best" shots- sorry, but that speaks for itself.

Paul

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Most Photographers take years to learn to use everything properly to shoot in M mode, but it takes you 2 weeks.

right.

The exif data etc. from those pics are worth nothing. Your friend is a pro shooter so comparing your last low light pictures , which left a lot to be desired, to the car trails and your other pictures compared to the new ones. I would almost be inclined to say that you uploaded them to your flickr but you did not take them.

I had a Canon 5d mark 2 and felt it was too much of a camera (partly though I switched from nikon to Canon, and now back), so you coming from absolute noobness to mostly manual shooting in 2 months?

brothers and sisters, it's a miracle.. rejoice for the world will witness him walking on water next.

how about giving something meaningful to this forum and not just these funky posts.
If i want to spend 4k on a camera, i don't need an interactive review from a 20 year old who is, by his self declaration, a noob. I need to read reviews from REAL photographers and the internet is full of them. Lastly, i gave you subject matter and you told me that you are busy going on shootings of german celebrities etc. (yea... sure). Now what kind of review is this when you can't shoot anything because you are "on shootings"?

get your facts and stories straight for gods sake, you are digging your hole so deep, you can barely get sunlight down there anymore.

Dude whats your Problem now oO just because some people need years too figure out how ISO/Aperture/Shutterspeed are working together and it took me "only" a couple of month... I you are serious about what you do, you can be a quick learner, but apparently you didn't figure this out....

I took Pictures almost everyday since I first bought the 20D, and yes I came from almost absolute noobness to almost shooting in M mode all the time in maybe 3 Month, simply because it is my biggest hobby now and I really wanted to figure out what all my "modes" on my camera mean and DO. And if you are really passionate about what you do YOU can figure it out yourself -.-

I shoot German Celebrities all the time, my mum works at a huge german magazine, that way I got to know the women who owns the 1Ds(her website image-point.tv ) she is doing mostly paparazzi work, i have taken Pictures of Boris Becker at golf tournaments and Claudia schiffer, but also Dieter bohlen, yesterday Though we had a shooting with a German actor called Martin Semmelrogge, for a soon to be starting TV show on VOX . I was also on German Tv (RTL Explosiv) with her because of this story....

She has no Idea how those cameras work and I just told her wtf aperture means, she just bought the most expensive Gear without even knowing what a Full Frame sensor is -.- (no kidding) she shot in P mode all her Live... (such a waste i know) she is very happy she now knows how to blur the background when she is shooting portraits, and hell she made a VERY good living from it for 15 years now...

If you don't want to know anything about the 1Ds III, why do you bother posting anything here? Maybe some people who are interested in a camera they will (probably) never buy(or would like to buy) would like to see some pictures done with it ?!?!? its like watching Top Gear but with cameras (get it? ) I watch reviews of cars like BMW M5 just because I care about technology that much, And I though hey, I have the opportunity to play around with the rolls Royce of canon cameras, so why not share if anyone cares ?!

Back to the Pictures you said where not mine.

1.Sylvia would never let me Drive her car. never.(hence me sitting next to her)
2.its not that hard to go into Manual mode, set the camera to the Dashboard and play around with Aperture and Shutter speeds until a nice picture comes out -.- It was a 1 Hour Drive from Colonia saint Jordi to Camp de Mar, so I had nothing better to do than mess around (hell I took about 35 or so of those Pictures and only 2 came out nice -.- )
3. you are just jealous -.- :p

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Every shot you take is a reflection of you as a photographer. The fact that you feel the need to point out they were taken with a P&S speaks volumes- not one of my criticisms applies to the fact the camera was a P&S. If you have to think about "comp. or anything" then in my book, you're not the person to be taking evaluation shots of a high-end body.

You self-selected these as your "best" shots- sorry, but that speaks for itself.

Paul
Ok so I was sitting there in the living Room with my G7, and the 1Ds ... and No I Did not try to even make it look nice it was just a sort of Point and shoot so you'll have fast proof of me actually having the camera , all quick and dirty no set-up Lighting whatshowever :eek: and yes those are the best ones that came out because Aviable light was very bad in this room, I know how to take good pictures even with a P&S but this was just for the hell of it -.-

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I give up and I don't have to justify myself to you.
"Dude whats your Problem now oO just because some people need years too figure out how ISO/Aperture/Shutterspeed are working together and it took me "only" a couple of month... I you are serious about what you do, you can be a quick learner, but apparently you didn't figure this out...."

Dude? :)
So, not only do we now have someone who is a Pro in full frame after finding his 5d just a couple of days ago etc. but also people that own and do photo shoots for money, apparently, just buy the most expensive gear and have no clue about it??

Nope, I will not dignify you with any more of my time, I suggest we move on to more pressing matters...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Are we supposed to be impressed? It's a nice camera for sure, but it's not like you're shooting a D3s.
I've just seen McNally shoot with a D3s, D3x, 70-200 VR II (nothing impressive if you've seen the amount of locals who have em) and of course..200mm f/2.0 (now that is a not common lens)!!!!! not to mention Joe's usual number of flash equipments. :cool:

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I've just seen McNally shoot with a D3s, D3x, 70-200 VR II (nothing impressive if you've seen the amount of locals who have em) and of course..200mm f/2.0 (now that is a not common lens)!!!!! not to mention Joe's usual number of flash equipments. :cool:

Where at? I sat in on a shoot with him in Vegas last October, (lighting class) and he used the D3 and 70-200 VR1 for the whole demo. And ellinchrom light equipment.

Amazing talent there, and he's the one who finally made the process of studio strobe lighting make perfect sense.

SLC

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Where at? I sat in on a shoot with him in Vegas last October, (lighting class) and he used the D3 and 70-200 VR1 for the whole demo. And ellinchrom light equipment.

Amazing talent there, and he's the one who finally made the process of studio strobe lighting make perfect sense.

Yup (did he tossed his SB900 to the audience in Vegas last October?), actually I think he recently upgraded most of his gears to D3s and D3x (no more D300 and D700 there) and to 70-200 VR II (no more VR1).

Actually, he recently had a 1 day workshop (spanning for 5 days!) and a seminar in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I only had the chance to go for the seminar but many whom attended the workshop told me that I missed a great opportunity :(

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
*Sits back and grabs popcorn*

But seriously this thread is like a black cloud! OP I think you may have come across wrong, I agree your not the one to push the body to the edge, but go have fun and enjoy it!

I'm not sure if the messages about manual are sarcastic or not (beauty of the internet) but its not hard. Getting good pictures is, no matter how you achieve it!

Go enjoy, and post some pics of your time in Spain.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I give up and I don't have to justify myself to you.
"Dude whats your Problem now oO just because some people need years too figure out how ISO/Aperture/Shutterspeed are working together and it took me "only" a couple of month... I you are serious about what you do, you can be a quick learner, but apparently you didn't figure this out...."

Dude? :)
So, not only do we now have someone who is a Pro in full frame after finding his 5d just a couple of days ago etc. but also people that own and do photo shoots for money, apparently, just buy the most expensive gear and have no clue about it??

Nope, I will not dignify you with any more of my time, I suggest we move on to more pressing matters...

As entertaining as this thread and the "found 5D" thread have been, I have to agree. Let's stop feeding the troll.

OP - we're all quite forgiving on this forum. You'll notice that even while you post foolishness and insult anyone who dares question your great wisdom and skill, people are still trying to give you good advice.

Why don't you stop posting for a while, and go out and shoot something substantial. Then come back, lose the attitude, and accept legitimate C&C.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yea, so I have the opportunity to use a 1Ds mk III for the weekend while i am in Spain *yea*

I also have some very nice lenses too play with (wide angle Normal zoom, telephoto) They are almost all L lenses (din't look at them too much today since I arrived mere 2 hours ago...)

So what would you do with that camera, anything specific you want me to post?

Let me know :D

Wow, cool, but.....are you any good?

It's not the camera my friend, it is the cameraman. Most people in the enthusiast sector of photography today think that having a nice camera will make them a better photographer, when in reality, they lack raw talent and could not shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Most people think they are much better than they really are.

So.....do you have raw talent? Because that really is all that matters...

Wait, I just looked at links, technically so-so, but no real raw talent in terms of an eye at all.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ok so I was sitting there in the living Room with my G7, and the 1Ds ... and No I Did not try to even make it look nice it was just a sort of Point and shoot so you'll have fast proof of me actually having the camera , all quick and dirty no set-up Lighting whatshowever :eek: and yes those are the best ones that came out because Aviable light was very bad in this room, I know how to take good pictures even with a P&S but this was just for the hell of it -.-

It's odd you have to feel that you must "prove" you have a camera- it's also a little odd that if you had a 5DII you'd shoot with a P&S. If you know how to take good pictures with a P&S, I really, really don't understand the point of not doing so. What would posses a photographer to choose bad pictures to post? What should we all think when these are labeled the *best*?

I know that I wouldn't travel to another country without taking at least a D2x, let alone the D3x along- especially when I was visiting a working photographer who'd want to use their equipment. Heck, I don't travel inside my own state to another photographer's studio without taking my own equipment, so I'm puzzled that anyone who claims to be interested in photography would travel from Germany to Spain carrying a P&S, or that they'd use it instead of a nice FF sensor in sucky available light. Can you not see why people don't put much stock in your words?

I've never felt the need to take pictures of my D3x to "prove" I have it- my images- both good and bad speak for themselves, no matter what equipment I use to make them. I learn more from the bad ones, but I don't think I'd be crowing about my abilities if the *best* I had to select from were the ones in this thread. In fact, I think I'd go have a serving of humble pie and work on my technique- a lot. Can you not see the point?

I've never seen a P&S that didn't have a flash- so I don't understand the "available light was very bad-" but you're taking this out of context- if you can't be bothered to get good shots of the equipment, what's to say you can get good shots WITH the equipment? You're trying to qualify yourself as someone who can take shots that someone contemplating thousands of Dollars/Euros/Marks of equipment can use to evaluate a potential purchase- but you've shown no ability to produce images worth of such a comparison. Can you not see the irony?

These days, almost anyone can rent almost anything- including the H3D-39 or a Sinar with a digital back- but in the hands of someone who's not good, the results won't look good- so again if your point was to provide images anyone could evaluate, I fail to see how you've qualified anything yourself other than "I know someone with one-" worse-yet whom you describe as a typical paparazzi- so you're not even likely to have the person most familiar with the equipment provide you with enough information to show its usage at its best.

You still seem to be stuck on the equipment- as well as perhaps who you shoot- personally though, the images you've posted in this thread don't make me want to spend my time going to another site- people pictures are people pictures, no matter who they're of, and if you can't take a decent image of a camera under your own terms, then I'm doubtful you'll be displaying portraits at a gallery anytime soon (for what it's worth, I find Leibovitz's work to be relatively hackish- I've seen three images of hers that I thought were great images.) If you can't understand the point and have to keep trying to excuse your shooting, then I think you just don't get my point.

Paul

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Finnschi, It's kind of hard to believe your friend is a professional photographer (albeit, a paparazzi...) who actually doesn't have a clue about professional photo equipment, and has to rely on you for your photographic knowledge, yet has been making money for 15 years. It could be true... anything's possible, but it sure stretches the bounds of believability.

Here'a a suggestion: why don't you just post some of your photos in Spain of your own choosing. Use your imagination, and take the kind of shots that you think would be helpful for someone interested in that camera. That shouldn't really be too difficult. Don't ask us to tell you what we want--show us what you want. The ball's really in your court, kiddo. Show us what you got. That's the only way to begin to salvage this thread.

And to Grey Beard, who told me Finnschi was the one in the third photo-- I got that... (goatee, teenboy look.) When I said, "Nice girlfriend, BTW" it was in reference to her letting him "play" with her expensive photo gear like they were toys. :cool:

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
It's odd you have to feel that you must "prove" you have a camera- it's also a little odd that if you had a 5DII you'd shoot with a P&S. If you know how to take good pictures with a P&S, I really, really don't understand the point of not doing so. What would posses a photographer to choose bad pictures to post? What should we all think when these are labeled the *best*?

I know that I wouldn't travel to another country without taking at least a D2x, let alone the D3x along- especially when I was visiting a working photographer who'd want to use their equipment. Heck, I don't travel inside my own state to another photographer's studio without taking my own equipment, so I'm puzzled that anyone who claims to be interested in photography would travel from Germany to Spain carrying a P&S, or that they'd use it instead of a nice FF sensor in sucky available light. Can you not see why people don't put much stock in your words?

I've never felt the need to take pictures of my D3x to "prove" I have it- my images- both good and bad speak for themselves, no matter what equipment I use to make them. I learn more from the bad ones, but I don't think I'd be crowing about my abilities if the *best* I had to select from were the ones in this thread. In fact, I think I'd go have a serving of humble pie and work on my technique- a lot. Can you not see the point?

I've never seen a P&S that didn't have a flash- so I don't understand the "available light was very bad-" but you're taking this out of context- if you can't be bothered to get good shots of the equipment, what's to say you can get good shots WITH the equipment? You're trying to qualify yourself as someone who can take shots that someone contemplating thousands of Dollars/Euros/Marks of equipment can use to evaluate a potential purchase- but you've shown no ability to produce images worth of such a comparison. Can you not see the irony?

These days, almost anyone can rent almost anything- including the H3D-39 or a Sinar with a digital back- but in the hands of someone who's not good, the results won't look good- so again if your point was to provide images anyone could evaluate, I fail to see how you've qualified anything yourself other than "I know someone with one-" worse-yet whom you describe as a typical paparazzi- so you're not even likely to have the person most familiar with the equipment provide you with enough information to show its usage at its best.

You still seem to be stuck on the equipment- as well as perhaps who you shoot- personally though, the images you've posted in this thread don't make me want to spend my time going to another site- people pictures are people pictures, no matter who they're of, and if you can't take a decent image of a camera under your own terms, then I'm doubtful you'll be displaying portraits at a gallery anytime soon (for what it's worth, I find Leibovitz's work to be relatively hackish- I've seen three images of hers that I thought were great images.) If you can't understand the point and have to keep trying to excuse your shooting, then I think you just don't get my point.

Paul

Short answer:

Ryanair makes you pay more for Having luggage.. and my Loewpro bag simply does not have enough space for my Clothes so I didn't take my camera with me :cool:

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
This thread would be a big hit if it was 1Ds mark IV not a 3 years old camera ;)
Big disappoinment for me is that you spent that much time at the front of computer defending yourself, and not enjoying the country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.