Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I can see RT being on phones, that might be nice so they can tie together full windows 8 and let devs do less work.

More like... it's one ARM mobile OS instead of two.

I, for one, hope they don't just drop support for ARM tablets. Imagine the damage it'd do to their already damaged reputation. >_>

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I, for one, hope they don't just drop support for ARM tablets. Imagine the damage it'd do to their already damaged reputation. >_>

Hehe, I can only assume you are being sarcastic. They need to drop ARM like a hot potatoe. Back when they were planning ARM probably looked more appealing than Intel with its horrible netbook single core Atom processor. The dual proc Clovertrail proved more than capable though, and the quad core Baytrail is kicking some major butt. ARM's performance is moot because it doesn't run anything legacy that can be tough on a system like photoshop, etc. It's a dead end, and even if it wasn't it doesn't offer any benefits anyway.

What's interesting is we are starting to see Intel/Atom crossing over to Android tablets and phones. Intel really put in a lot of effort and realized they missed the boat and are now pushing hard.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Hehe, I can only assume you are being sarcastic. They need to drop ARM like a hot potatoe. Back when they were planning ARM probably looked more appealing than Intel with its horrible netbook single core Atom processor. The dual proc Clovertrail proved more than capable though, and the quad core Baytrail is kicking some major butt. ARM's performance is moot because it doesn't run anything legacy that can be tough on a system like photoshop, etc. It's a dead end, and even if it wasn't it doesn't offer any benefits anyway.

What's interesting is we are starting to see Intel/Atom crossing over to Android tablets and phones. Intel really put in a lot of effort and realized they missed the boat and are now pushing hard.

"We were going to support the Surface RT until 2017, but some people on the internet said we shouldn't have a tablet on ARM so we stopped."

I'm sure the millions who have ARM tablets running Windows right now would be so happy. But, hey, they would .. errr... have an atom tablet that could run photoshop! I'm sure that alone would make them feel great about it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
"We were going to support the Surface RT until 2017, but some people on the internet said we shouldn't have a tablet on ARM so we stopped."

I'm sure the millions who have ARM tablets running Windows right now would be so happy. But, hey, they would .. errr... have an atom tablet that could run photoshop! I'm sure that alone would make them feel great about it.

Meh, hey I don't run a multi billion dollar business so I can only armchair quarterback. After that $900 million RT mistake that forced Ballmer to resign I can only boast so much hindsight. Just because they sold some RT tablets doesn't mean it will be a success, or deserves to be a success, eg: MS Zune.

I think we are still getting into the SAME point we always clash on, why bother getting the same priced, same battery life, same size/weight tablet but then ditch the legacy desktop, why hamstring yourself that way for no tangible benefit? No disrespect intended, we see things differently and I respect that, I just have a hard time seeing why someone would waste money like that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Meh, hey I don't run a multi billion dollar business so I can only armchair quarterback. After that $900 million RT mistake that forced Ballmer to resign I can only boast so much hindsight. Just because they sold some RT tablets doesn't mean it will be a success, or deserves to be a success, eg: MS Zune.

I think we are still getting into the SAME point we always clash on, why bother getting the same priced, same battery life, same size/weight tablet but then ditch the legacy desktop, why hamstring yourself that way for no tangible benefit? No disrespect intended, we see things differently and I respect that, I just have a hard time seeing why someone would waste money like that.

Why do people keep repeating that Ballmer was forced to step down because of the RT? Did you even notice that he said he's going to retire because of the fact that they were going to need a leader that was going to be there for more than a few years? Ballmer was retiring around 2017, or so he planned before the big changes started happening that we're seeing.

"Wes' re firing you within the next year sometime ... whenever" sure screams that he was fired. :p

I respect you completely, by the way. Even if I disagree with you on a fundamental issue, you're at least respectful about it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why do people keep repeating that Ballmer was forced to step down because of the RT? Did you even notice that he said he's going to retire because of the fact that they were going to need a leader that was going to be there for more than a few years? Ballmer was retiring around 2017, or so he planned before the big changes started happening that we're seeing.

"Wes' re firing you within the next year sometime ... whenever" sure screams that he was fired. :p

I respect you completely, by the way. Even if I disagree with you on a fundamental issue, you're at least respectful about it.

Well I can't say that's why he was fired, no one outside of the board really knows. IMO it just makes sense. All the news headlines were screaming that it was because of the surface flop, but who knows if they actually know more than we do.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Well I can't say that's why he was fired, no one outside of the board really knows. IMO it just makes sense. All the news headlines were screaming that it was because of the surface flop, but who knows if they actually know more than we do.

Oh, there were many big flops when Microsoft was under Ballmer's lead. That isn't as bad as it sounds, though, because it means at least they're out there trying things.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I'm more concerned with them dumbing down ARM tablets than dropping support. Removing the desktop would be a big step in the wrong direction, IMO, but would be the logical decision if they are merging WinRT and WP8.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Oh, there were many big flops when Microsoft was under Ballmer's lead. That isn't as bad as it sounds, though, because it means at least they're out there trying things.

Yeah there were, true. The surface flop was probably just the last nail on the coffin.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm more concerned with them dumbing down ARM tablets than dropping support. Removing the desktop would be a big step in the wrong direction, IMO, but would be the logical decision if they are merging WinRT and WP8.

If they can remove the need for the desktop on an RT device in the meanwhile?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If they can remove the need for the desktop on an RT device in the meanwhile?
As I've mentioned in the past. I want the desktop on RT devices to not only stick around, but to be further exploited. I think the desktop version of Office on the RT is a benefit not a deficit. I know that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

A Metro-only Surface tablet holds no appeal to me. The 16:9 aspect ratio of the Surface makes using the onscreen keyboard awkward. The Metro UI is overly spread out and so there is lots of "whitespace" and less content than one would expect on a screen that size.

The greatest appeal that the Surface RT has for me is that it can function reasonably well in "tablet mode" provided that little if any keyboard entry is required and works even better in "netbook mode" (using a TypeCover2) and the desktop.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
As I've mentioned in the past. I want the desktop on RT devices to not only stick around, but to be further exploited. I think the desktop version of Office on the RT is a benefit not a deficit. I know that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

A Metro-only Surface tablet holds no appeal to me. The 16:9 aspect ratio of the Surface makes using the onscreen keyboard awkward. The Metro UI is overly spread out and so there is lots of "whitespace" and less content than one would expect on a screen that size.

The greatest appeal that the Surface RT has for me is that it can function reasonably well in "tablet mode" provided that little if any keyboard entry is required and works even better in "netbook mode" (using a TypeCover2) and the desktop.

How would you suggest they further exploit the desktop?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Allow developers to submit desktop apps to the App Store would be a big step forward. If MS' development tools prohibit development of desktop apps for Win RT that restriction would need to be lifted.

Any specific desktop apps you'd like to see, or is it just the idea?

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
On the Pro, pretty much your typical improvements i.e Broadwell based, HD5000, 802.11ac etc. Although i would like to see a iris 5100 for slightly better casual gaming, i would prefer any gains from Broadwell's power efficiency be attributed towards batterry life. Being lighter and changing the aspect ratio to x 1200 are the only other things i would like to see. Probably a better chance of a resolution increase to 2560 x 1440 to make a "retina surface pro".

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
On the Pro, pretty much your typical improvements i.e Broadwell based, HD5000, 802.11ac etc. Although i would like to see a iris 5100 for slightly better casual gaming, i would prefer any gains from Broadwell's power efficiency be attributed towards batterry life. Being lighter and changing the aspect ratio to x 1200 are the only other things i would like to see. Probably a better chance of a resolution increase to 2560 x 1440 to make a "retina surface pro".

I think you mean HD 6000, right? :p

Also, changing the aspect ratio? Why?

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I think you mean HD 6000, right? :p

Also, changing the aspect ratio? Why?

Yeah HD 6000, don't ask me why but for some reason or another i thought intel would utilize the exact same numbering for its Broadwell GPU's.

regarding the aspect ratio, its just preference , the more vertical pixels you have at the same width the less scrolling needed/more you can fit on screen.

Probably wont purchase the next Pro as i'm already looking at the Pro 2. Would love to wait it out but i'm guessing its going to to be released oct/nov time frame at the earliest and a 8/9 months wait is too long. Learn't my lesson from waiting for the Air.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah HD 6000, don't ask me why but for some reason or another i thought intel would utilize the exact same numbering for its Broadwell GPU's.

regarding the aspect ratio, its just preference , the more vertical pixels you have at the same width the less scrolling needed/more you can fit on screen.

Probably wont purchase the next Pro as i'm already looking at the Pro 2. Would love to wait it out but i'm guessing its going to to be released oct/nov time frame at the earliest and a 8/9 months wait is too long. Learn't my lesson from waiting for the Air.

I see. I didn't think about the scrolling issue.

Yea, it's likely to always be released in October/November.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I want them to increase the iGPU power. I know it's a power drain but they already have stuff in the pipeline like the Power Cover to counter this.

I'd like them to make the Metro side first party apps do everything the desktop side can do. IE if I use Metro IE and click Insert Link on this board, it'll tell me to go to the Win 7 desktop. Same goes for Office. Get everything on Metro to have full functionality. Plus fix all the W8 bugs like IE locking up and stuff like that.

Also want them to push their blade concept and open it up to third parties. That easily detachable type cover is great. The fact that it's basically a non-intrusive port that can transfer both data and power in both directions opens up a lot of engineering possibilities. They already created a music controller. They can do a ton more with this.

----------

That 16:9 is needed for multi-tasking snaps

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I want them to increase the iGPU power. I know it's a power drain but they already have stuff in the pipeline like the Power Cover to counter this.

I'd like them to make the Metro side first party apps do everything the desktop side can do. IE if I use Metro IE and click Insert Link on this board, it'll tell me to go to the Win 7 desktop. Same goes for Office. Get everything on Metro to have full functionality. Plus fix all the W8 bugs like IE locking up and stuff like that.

Also want them to push their blade concept and open it up to third parties. That easily detachable type cover is great. The fact that it's basically a non-intrusive port that can transfer both data and power in both directions opens up a lot of engineering possibilities. They already created a music controller. They can do a ton more with this.

----------

That 16:9 is needed for multi-tasking snaps

Forgot to say this before, but wouldn't making the GPU better potentially increase battery life? After all, the GPU is more efficient than the CPU and more can be offloaded to it.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
If Microsoft somehow came out with a Wacom screen that's comparable to a Cintiq on their Surface Pro, even as like a $400 option, I would probably buy it.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Forgot to say this before, but wouldn't making the GPU better potentially increase battery life? After all, the GPU is more efficient than the CPU and more can be offloaded to it.

It would for strict GPGPU applications, but I'd like the graphic capabilities to be improved in general. That would involve sticking more GPU cores on the die or upping the frequency, both of which would drain more power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.