Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My question is simple: today is it possible to install Ventura on Mac Pro 5.1 without problems?

Simply answer: no.

Ventura and Sonoma require AVX/AVX 2.0. Monterey is the last macOS release that works acceptably with a no-AVX/AVX2.0 processor.

Or do we have to make the idea that Monterey is our best option?

Thanks in advance.

Until someone develops a AVX/AVX2 emulator, Monterey is the most recent macOS release that works with hardware acceleration, for example.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
The more serious issue is the NVRAM reset one. I don't want to have to setup OpenCore every time I reset the NVRAM. Is there a way to avoid that?

You will have to re-bless you OC ESP every time you reset the NVRAM. No workarounds for that.

superlativo

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Simplemente responda: no.

Ventura y Sonoma requieren AVX/AVX 2.0. Monterey es la última versión de macOS que funciona aceptablemente con un procesador sin AVX/AVX2.0.

Hasta que alguien desarrolle un emulador AVX/AVX2, Monterey es la versión más reciente de macOS que funciona con aceleración de hardware, por ejemplo.
Muchas gracias @tsialex por tu rápida respuesta. Pregunté por qué estaba confundido, especialmente por la información oficial en el sitio web de Dortania y la instalación mediante un concentrador USB 2.0. Muchas gracias por la aclaración.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Muchas gracias @tsialex por tu rápida respuesta. Pregunté por qué estaba confundido, especialmente por la información oficial en el sitio web de Dortania y la instalación mediante un concentrador USB 2.0. Muchas gracias por la aclaración.

You need a USB hub even with BigSur/Monterey, if you want hot-plug back - no news here, just became increasingly worse with newer macOS releases. My advice for you is to read about the issues, then test the install with a spare disk.

Lot's of people have workflows that are not affected by the issues that arise from the workarounds required to overcome the missing AVX/AVX2.0 support. No one really knows your workflow but you, so, test it yourself and see if it's acceptable.

For me personally, it's definitively not acceptable and my Macs without AVX2.0 will continue to run Monterey.

Reactions: superlativo

superlativo

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Necesita un concentrador USB incluso con BigSur/Monterey, si desea volver a conectarse en caliente; no hay noticias aquí, simplemente empeoró con las nuevas versiones de macOS. Mi consejo para usted es leer sobre los problemas y luego probar la instalación con un disco de repuesto.

Mucha gente tiene flujos de trabajo que no se ven afectados por los problemas que surgen de las soluciones alternativas necesarias para superar la falta de compatibilidad con AVX/AVX2.0. Nadie conoce realmente su flujo de trabajo excepto usted, así que pruébelo usted mismo y vea si es aceptable.

Para mí, personalmente, definitivamente no es aceptable y mis Mac sin AVX2.0 seguirán ejecutando Monterey.
I understood. Since I don't have the knowledge for such an adventure, I will stay in Monterey, which is perfect. In the first version the bluetooth didn't work which was the only thing I missed but that was later resolved and I no longer have any problems. I'm just looking to skip Monterey since Adobe Photoshop recently tells me that some new option is only compatible with macOS 13 or later. Surely I can live without that news haha. Kind regards.

superlativo

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
2bf97267-6e01-426f-b77f-bea2bf1d68e7.png
214369431-e4217e1a-0ab7-48b2-84b8-c7dffdf9327e.png

I don't understand why the Dortania website indicates that my Mac Pro 5.1 is compatible with Ventura, even Sonoma, if there are so many problems and it is recommended to stay in Monterey.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
View attachment 2294151 View attachment 2294152

I don't understand why the Dortania website indicates that my Mac Pro 5.1 is compatible with Ventura, even Sonoma, if there are so many problems and it is recommended to stay in Monterey.

Being possible is very different from being practical or that will even work for you…

Test yourself with a spare disk and see if it's acceptable. Most recent Adobe apps do not even work, like After Effects that now require AVX 2.0:

"Processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support required".

superlativo

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2022
Thank you so much @tsialex for the clarification. Although I don't use After Effects, I wouldn't want to encounter any limitations at the most unexpected moment.

chuco915

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
El Chuco, Tejas
Being possible is very different from being practical or that will even work for you…

Test yourself with a spare disk and see if it's acceptable. Most recent Adobe apps do not even work, like After Effects that now require AVX 2.0:

"Processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support required".
I'm trying to update my 2009 Mac to Premiere v24 but I get message above about (AVX2), anyone know if this has been fixed with a patcher or something?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.50.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.50.41 AM.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.51.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 10.51.14 AM.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 33

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm trying to update my 2009 Mac to Premiere v24 but I get message above about (AVX2), anyone know if this has been fixed with a patcher or something?

This is not patch-able, until someone magically develops a working AVX 2.0 emulator - at this moment my crystal ball tells me that is improbable that this emulator can be accomplished and even if someone solves every problem, the performance penalty will be major - the previous Adobe releases are the last versions that can run on a Mac without processors that fully support the AVX 2.0 instruction set.

chuco915

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
El Chuco, Tejas
This is not patch-able, until someone magically develops a working AVX 2.0 emulator - at this moment my crystal ball tells me that is improbable that this emulator can be accomplished and even if someone solves every problem, the performance penalty will be major - the previous Adobe releases are the last versions that can run on a Mac without processors that fully support the AVX 2.0 instruction set.

Upgraded to newer Mont OS and Resolve Studio is still working great! Guess no more Adobe for me unless I use previous versions like v23

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.56.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.56.35 PM.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.56.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.56.23 PM.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.58.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 1.58.28 PM.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 37

jacekkr

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Simply answer: no.

Ventura and Sonoma require AVX/AVX 2.0. Monterey is the last macOS release that works acceptably with a no-AVX/AVX2.0 processor.

Until someone develops a AVX/AVX2 emulator, Monterey is the most recent macOS release that works with hardware acceleration, for example.
Is this not an emulator that could be used to patch things - I don't know enough to figure this out but maybe one of you rocket scientists can.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Is this not an emulator that could be used to patch things - I don't know enough to figure this out but maybe one of you rocket scientists can.

This is known for a very long time. If someone could make this a workable solution outside the intended software development tests, it would probably being done already.

Besides that, it's useless for anything that runs inside the kernel, like Ventura and Sonoma video drivers that require AVX2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.