Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Doesn't really hitch all that often for me either. There are just rare, random instances where I notice animations with dropped frames. Not all that a big deal and I'm not sure if reducing transparency would actually help.

The only really reliably reproduceable thing is activating the quick action menus in landscape mode on the 6s Plus. Not sure what's up with that and why that's still a thing in iOS 9.3.

Agree with you. sure it hiccups sometimes but overall its pretty smooth.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
As for CPU/GPU load, have notification centre down with a CPU widget. Play a video (or anything that moves) in the background. CPU usage hovers around 60-70% on A7. Disable the blur, and CPU usage drops down to 10-20%

What are the percentages for static content with and without blur?

Is it the blur or simply the fact the video is visible and so still being rendered - iOS might not render if it's obscured (like on OS X)

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Framerate issues aside, from a design/appearance point of view, I hate it. Give me a solid, clean UI any day. Sometimes I still can't believe we have what we have now in comparison to the pre iOS7/Yosemite days.

Remember how good the old dock used to look? Instead we now have this slab of horrible blur.

To be clear, this is not nostalgia, this is a genuine want for a great nice looking UI again.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I love the blur especially on a nice bright and colourful wallpaper

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out when Frames/Second (which was a performance gauge for Video games) suddenly became the performance gauge of UI?

So true. There are people on here who spend a lot of time swiping back and forth in order to assess how much animation lag there is. I couldn't care less personally.

Reactions: I7guy

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
It's not just apple, microsoft have done the same for years with windows. OS X has had it for some time too. The difference with microsoft and windows was that they give options of what features can be enabled, so lets the user pick what's nice for them.

And a major fault in windows 10 is removing a lot of these options, where more traditions looks is needed sometimes for real work rather than just play use.

Reactions: ashindnile

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Some here don't seem to understand. It's not that the blur looks bad. It doesn't. But it IS very taxing and also quite unnecessary, or at the very least not implemented right.
Try Safari landscape on the iPad and in the new tab page, open and close the bookmarks bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.