Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whats your favorite online photo sharing service (free or pay)?

• Flickr

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • Picasa Online (Google)

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Fotki

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • PhotoBucket

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other (Please post)

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
http://www.23hq.com !!!

Love it!

It's cheap to get a Plus(pro) account and they have lot's of cool features.

For example, it's possible to change the look of an account via CSS.

Aug 6, 2007
huge fan of deviantART, if only for the interface.

as with any art site; there's a lot of rubbish on there. All-in-all, it's pretty good though.

jolton

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
I personally prefer smugmug. They don't compress or downsize photos. Unlimited storage, and really great customer support.

I started out with Flickr, but when I discovered that they resize and compress I ditched them.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I tried a number of photo hosting sites and narrowed my choices down to Smugmug and Zenfolio. Ultimately, I went with Zenfolio because I liked the cleaner interface.

The 12M max file size pretty-much rules out full-sized TIFFs for me, am I going to have that problem no matter what?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
After trying out Smug Mug, its a very nice site. I wish it were cheaper though, around $30.

Have they ever offered a discount or sale?

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Okay then gang, here's a question for everyone. What is the best site to use in order to share thousands of photos among hundreds of group members? As an example, a school reunion attracts 300 people and they each take 50 photos. What's the best site that allows each of those 300 to freely post their own 50 photos, so that all 15,000 could be seen by everybody? Ideally everyone in the group should be able to add their own comments to each photo and rate each photo, so that eventually maybe just 1%-2% would become group favourites?

Does any site currently out there allow this?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Have they ever offered a discount or sale?

I've been with 'em for a little more than a year now, and the answer is no. Of course you have a referral code above, but that's only $5.

I have a referral code/email, but seeing as how someone's already posted theirs, I'm not going to poach.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Someone mentioned earlier that Flickr resizes/compresses photos. I thought that they keep an untouched copy if you have a Pro account. Is this true? Do they allow you to batch download a backup of all of your photos?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I'm a big Flickr fan. I pay for a Pro account, and I've been pleased.

I don't know if the OP had this in mind, but do you sell photos for profit? I do, and I don't think I could live without smugmugs unbeatable customer service and customization. For example, all I had to do was copy and paste stuff from tutorials to get a beautiful page– http://www.nickensphotography.com

And when I needed a print/screen comparison page, I expected to get one at cost. Did they charge anything? NO! I'm forever with smugmug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.