Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I have a friend who I don't communicate with that often and she lives across the bay and she will always text me if she is going to be in my area for a quick lunch or coffee. I feel much more in touch with her now when I get a tap and see her messages come up on my watch. Managed to meet up with her a few times already as a result where as I have missed her texts on my phone in my purse on more than one occasion before then.

Reactions: gwhizkids

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
My favorite thing? Silent notifications and the convenience of checking those notifications without having to get my iPhone out.

Is it practical? Absolutely... at least for me. It adds so many little conveniences to each day, and every now and then I discover a new way that it is useful that I never thought of (or never needed) before.

Do I regret it? Absolutely not. I would buy one again immediately if something happened to mine. I actually regret not splurging on the Stainless Steel a little. The Sport still looks great, especially when dressed up with a leather band... but the SS is even more attractive. I will eventually sell my Sport and either buy a SS or upgrade to the next model in SS.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I have decided to get one thanks to all of the feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure if I should wait for v2. I don't really want to wait but it would sure suck if I bought one and then a few months later Apple released an ew one.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I have decided to get one thanks to all of the feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure if I should wait for v2. I don't really want to wait but it would sure suck if I bought one and then a few months later Apple released an ew one.
Let's say you bought v1 and you love it.

How would v2 make your v1 worse?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Hey Siri, remind me to do <something important> at <a time I'd likely forget>

Saved my bacon more than once.
Remember when the iMac first came out and Apple's advertising said "There is no 'Step 3'" to connect to the Internet?

Now they've gotten rid of 'Step 2.' ;)

Step 1: Tell Siri.
Step 2: That's it. There is no Step 2.

Reactions: nightcap965

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas

If you like all of the things you read on this thread, there is no reason to wait for V2. Everything on this thread is available now in V1 because no one but Tim knows what will be available with V2. :)

You will not regret buying one now, but you MAY regret waiting for V2 only to find out nothing really changed and you lost 3-4 months of the V1 features. (like the 6P to the 6PS, nothing changed enough for me to regret the 6P)

TxWatch

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ohhhh smart, maybeee 1S
Watch S sounds better than Watch 1S, but I don't think Apple will be using the S naming system with the watches. I think the Watch redesigns will be every 2 years, designed to complement the iPhone redesign. The current watch appears to mimic the screen of the iPhone 6 and 6S where it kinda curves down.

Reactions: tarsins

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Watch S sounds better than Watch 1S, but I don't think Apple will be using the S naming system with the watches. I think the Watch redesigns will be every 2 years, designed to complement the iPhone redesign. The current watch appears to mimic the screen of the iPhone 6 and 6S where it kinda curves down.
I just think Apple really needs to be careful here - I think the Watch (especially the steel and Edition versions) are beautiful time pieces with a fit and finish of a much higher class watch - That is the primary reason I bought it. I love watches and the feature I use most BY FAR, is the watch face - Love it...

But they really need to be careful about the updates of it, and maybe take a cue from Switzerland. Of course they update their products, but they don't do it in a way that makes the current generation obsolete in any way. We all know how fast and good old iPhones work (like crap) and the watches need not to go the same way.... So maybe hold back with major software updates if the watch chip can't handle it.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I just think Apple really needs to be careful here - I think the Watch (especially the steel and Edition versions) are beautiful time pieces with a fit and finish of a much higher class watch - That is the primary reason I bought it. I love watches and the feature I use most BY FAR, is the watch face - Love it...

But they really need to be careful about the updates of it, and maybe take a cue from Switzerland. Of course they update their products, but they don't do it in a way that makes the current generation obsolete in any way. We all know how fast and good old iPhones work (like crap) and the watches need not to go the same way.... So maybe hold back with major software updates if the watch chip can't handle it.
Agreed, but Watch OS is a pretty light OS, and I expect it to stay that way. It's not like iOS which brings heavily implemented features every major release

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Will the next watch be the Apple Watch S? Offering speed improvements.

You might be on something.
I think Apple might not use AWs with "s", but just call AW 2016, AW 2017.....
And it is possible they could have a new S2 (dual cores???) SiP (System in Package) chip is 100% compatible with AW 2015 in term of form factor and connection to other components, but with faster CPU and maybe some small perform tweak inside SiP.
Casing and component outside SiP change re-design might not happen until AW 2017.
This will allow Apple to attract more new AW user with claim better performance (if go from single core to dual core, it will be HUGE to help reduce/eliminate hang) and old user upgrade.
Cost of implement new S2 with zero change on casing and other components outside of SiP should be minimum other than cost of design/MFG S2.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Agreed, but Watch OS is a pretty light OS, and I expect it to stay that way. It's not like iOS which brings heavily implemented features every major release
Right --

Maybe there's some complex stuff going on behind the scenes in WatchOS, but I don't foresee a lot of features being added to the interface, if any at all. The watch just isn't large enough to make more interactions worth the trouble.

Already, it has two side buttons (thankfully, IMO, off-limits to developers), a scroll/zoom wheel, a swipe-and-tap screen, and Force Touch which can bring up at least four more buttons -- and watch face complications can be tapped for their respective apps, too. As a whole, the watch is already as complicated as I'm willing to put up with.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Right --

Maybe there's some complex stuff going on behind the scenes in WatchOS, but I don't foresee a lot of features being added to the interface, if any at all. The watch just isn't large enough to make more interactions worth the trouble.

Already, it has two side buttons (thankfully, IMO, off-limits to developers), a scroll/zoom wheel, a swipe-and-tap screen, and Force Touch which can bring up at least four more buttons -- and watch face complications can be tapped for their respective apps, too. As a whole, the watch is already as complicated as I'm willing to put up with.
The watch is pretty complicated, and I don't use all the features that are present. If more features are added, they would probably be minor features that wouldn't be useful. I barely use force touch, and the crown is my go to thing for scrolling

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I've been toying with the idea of buying one, but I'd like to know how everybody else feels about their Watch.

What's your favourite thing about your watch? Is it practical? Do you regret it? Should I wait for the 2nd gen?

Thanks for reading.
1. Fav thing - Siri...especially how it is implemented with Apple Music. I also like the Airplay features built into Apple Music.

2. It is more practical than carrying my iPhone around the house when I am only using it for music via AirPlay or waiting for a phone call. At work, it is nice to control volume, skip songs, check notifications / email/ messages/ weather/ time without touching the phone.

3. I got it for Christmas. I just regret not getting one sooner.

4. If I was paying full retail, I would wait. If you can find it for $100 less than retail, then you might want to get it now if that is meaningful to you. If the next model is a lot better, I would just sell this one and get a new one.

Should be interesting to see what changes Apple makes. However, there are still glitches in the software that have nothing to do with the hardware ( like the non-functional AirPlay button in glances).

Reactions: The Clark

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
However, there are still glitches in the software that have nothing to do with the hardware ( like the non-functional AirPlay button in glances).

I agree there are still glitches with OS 2.1, but I have discovered the AirPlay icon does work in the System Settings glance. I have the Plantronics Backbeat Fit BT headphones and when I touch the AirPlay icon from the Glance, I see an option to select the Apple Watch or the headphones as my AirPlay device. You can see the red shadow of my Silent Mode icon behind the Apple Watch bar.

image.jpg

I am not sure why my BT headphones are listed as an AirPlay device, but the Glance button also turns blue when I am listening to music from the Watch.

TxWatch

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I agree there are still glitches with OS 2.1, but I have discovered the AirPlay icon does work in the System Settings glance. I have the Plantronics Backbeat Fit BT headphones and when I touch the AirPlay icon from the Glance, I see an option to select the Apple Watch or the headphones as my AirPlay device. You can see the red shadow of my Silent Mode icon behind the Apple Watch bar.

View attachment 607839

I am not sure why my BT headphones are listed as an AirPlay device, but the Glance button also turns blue when I am listening to music from the Watch.

TxWatch
The problem is that it doesn't find AirPlay devices. The only way that i know to change AirPlay devices ( on the iPhone) is via Apple Music. That icon should give you the same choices you get in the Control Center on iOS. If it is only for Blutooth, they should not have the word "AirPlay" above the options.

Last edited:

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
The problem is that it doesn't find AirPlay devices. The only way that i know to change AirPlay devices ( on the iPhone) is via Apple Music. That icon should give you the same choices you get in the Control Center on iOS. If it is only for Blutooth, they should not have the word "AirPlay" above the options.
That bothers me also, when I connect my Bose Color SoundLink, I know that the AirPlay tab is intended for my speaker, but I have an ATV so I can mix it up sometimes. I would like to see a wifi option in the Watch app on the iPhone, as it will remember networks, but it bothers me that it won't connect sometimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.