Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mav2012

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
My launch day 14 Pro Max is at 86%. In the last couple of months I have really felt it decline.
Would apple warrant this, or is it just considered normal wear and tear?
YMMV but I don't think Apple are going to do anything about it. I've been to the Apple store and spent countless hours on the phone to support asking them to investigate why my 4 month old iPhone 14 Plus' battery has degraded to 93% according to CCBattery/iMazing and 97% according to iOS after just 39 charge cycles, and was handed the usual '80% capacity after 500 cycles' and 'batteries degrade over time' spiel but they refused to offer a plausible explanation for why that would happen for a 'new' battery that was manufactured in Feb 2023, has done less than 40 charge cycles and isn't subjected to extreme temps at all.

• Sad
Reactions: Zippy3505

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
What happens if it’s over 500 cycles and still 87%? Will Apple still refuse?

Mine’s “stuck” at 87% after dropping, what seemed daily, but I’m at 450 cycles now. It’s the worst battery I’ve had, 14 Pro launch, in recent times.

I wasn’t going to upgrade to 15, but might now, as even if I get a replacement battery, it’s probably going to be as bad. Have to hope 15 is better somehow.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Also note, batteries should also wear slower the older they get (this is why you can see super old iPhones with ~80% health despite thousands of cycles).
I think this is the most important aspect of this thread. Not only am I seeing normal cycle counts for the degradation displayed, but they also aren’t even below 80%. And this is discounting the fact that battery health will never be relevant on the original iOS version regardless of percentage (which the 14 series cannot be updated from, yet).

Besides, I find one of our previous conversations very relevant: we had stated that heavy users exhibit a better cycle-to-health ratio because time isn’t as significant of a factor, so that coupled to what you said should end up giving the usually good results regardless of the current situation (and not that 90% health after over 300 cycles is poor in any way).

Using the following post as an example:
View attachment 2257930

View attachment 2257929
View attachment 2257933
Launch day 14 Pro, mainly MagSafe overnight, but also charge in car for CarPlay. Finding myself charging during day more now. Was not planning on upgrading to 15. I wish Apple would address this & offer discounted replacements of battery.
Around 91% after 321 cycles on the original version of iOS has no effect on battery life, and it may stabilise around this point, staying at that health for hundreds of cycles if used moderately heavily.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
I think this is the most important aspect of this thread. Not only am I seeing normal cycle counts for the degradation displayed, but they also aren’t even below 80%. And this is discounting the fact that battery health will never be relevant on the original iOS version regardless of percentage (which the 14 series cannot be updated from, yet).

Besides, I find one of our previous conversations very relevant: we had stated that heavy users exhibit a better cycle-to-health ratio because time isn’t as significant of a factor, so that coupled to what you said should end up giving the usually good results regardless of the current situation (and not that 90% health after over 300 cycles is poor in any way).

Using the following post as an example:

Around 91% after 321 cycles on the original version of iOS has no effect on battery life, and it may stabilise around this point, staying at that health for hundreds of cycles if used moderately heavily.
It does seem that I need to charge more frequently, though. I suppose that is normal .

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It does seem that I need to charge more frequently, though. I suppose that is normal .
It’s highly likely that there’s a different reason for that. Battery health isn’t relevant at all on its original iOS version, let alone at 91% after less than a year.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
It’s highly likely that there’s a different reason for that. Battery health isn’t relevant at all on its original iOS version, let alone at 91% after less than a year.
I did use the chat with Apple support, and did the diagnostic test thing. Didn’t see anything wrong. Scheduled a call for today, but not feeling good today, so I didn’t speak with them.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
14Pro Launch Day - 91%. Pretty sad if I'm being honest. Regardless of that %, I feel as if the batter drains much faster doing the same things in the last 2-3 months. Do we need another class action lawsuit from updates purposefully reducing batter life to increase sales?

AWU still 100% and bought at launch. Wear it every day.

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
A little over 3 months since my last post in this thread and my 14PM still at 100%:

The only thing I’ve done different with this phone is MagSafe charging since day one. I’ve never used the Lightning port. I really don’t think that’s made any difference, just wanted to point it out.
It does sometimes. I have some chargers with the black spots on the lightning - what i observed these black spots do overheat and ruin the battery of any iPhone I connect it to.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Launch day 14 Pro - 93%. This is by far the worst battery I’ve had on an iPhone since I first got one in 2008. Been upgrading every other year (more or less) since then.

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
Launch Day 14 Pro Max - Still 100%
LOL. No it isn't. That's a bug, trust me.
Mine was also showing 100% up until two weeks ago. And after the latest iOS hotfix, the phone showed 99% and after a few days it went down to 97%.

No way your battery is still 100%.

isaac123

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
LOL. No it isn't. That's a bug, trust me.
Mine was also showing 100% up until two weeks ago. And after the latest iOS hotfix, the phone showed 99% and after a few days it went down to 97%.

No way your battery is still 100%.
This is not a bug, it is because the battery would have iniitially had over 100% of the rated capacity when it was new. My 12 pro was still at 100% after around 11 months, now at 34 months, sitting at 88%.

This is also why lots of people report it staying at 100% for ages, and then dropping like a rock, in reality it was always dropping, but started at something like 105%

holyslayerpt

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Mine is at 90% with 559 cycles. Tried to replace it but every store says no replacements available due to it being a new phone still. But i wonder does 90% make that huge impact or is there no point in replacing it?

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
This is not a bug, it is because the battery would have iniitially had over 100% of the rated capacity when it was new. My 12 pro was still at 100% after around 11 months, now at 34 months, sitting at 88%.

This is also why lots of people report it staying at 100% for ages, and then dropping like a rock, in reality it was always dropping, but started at something like 105%
You are correct @isaac123 , this is the way it works @Rivanov . I've seen the same behavior on my Apple Watches.

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands

You are correct @isaac123 , this is the way it works @Rivanov . I've seen the same behavior on my Apple Watches.
Clear! Thanks guys.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
14PM - purchased on contract in February '23.

Reporting as 128 cycles (to date) - only ever used the 20W USB-C charger a couple of times otherwise it's been my USB-A to Lightning using the port in my power socket at home , an 'old' iPad 12W power brick or via the USB socket in my car.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
12 pro max is at 89% still going strong in every way...see what the 15 brings or might wait till 16

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.