Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vine-boating

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2017
Bump

can anybody recommend a keyboard to use with the iPhone 8 plus? I am currently using the standard apple keyboard but tbh its pretty basic and coming from android I don't find it easy to adjust to....

How is Gboard on an iPhone? Dp they work well together?

Lawzen

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2017
I've been using Gboard as of late. Runs fairly smooth and it's nice how it has the numbers on the top row of keys. (funny how people were mentioning that early on in the thread)

Reactions: tigerandyx9

vine-boating

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2017
I've been using Gboard as of late. Runs fairly smooth and it's nice how it has the numbers on the top row of keys. (funny how people were mentioning that early on in the thread)
Once you download GBoard how do you set it as your main keyboard and not the apple one?

vine-boating

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2017

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks....
Sorry for the silly questions this is just my first iPhone since I've moved from android!
You know when your browsing on safari do you have to 'clear your history/cache' like every couple of weeks like you do with android or is it not necessary?
Unless you have some personal desire or need for it, there's really no reason you need to do that.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

Same here. Since Gboard is there I switched from Swype (which stopped). Overall it works pretty well although Swype sometimes predicted it better what words I swyped compared to Gboard but it wasn't as stable.

You can also decide if you want to give Gboard full access or not. If you give it full access you can also use GIF, YOuTube, search and voice (Google) from within the Gboard keyboard otherwise you can only swipe words.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
That's really too bad. Dealbreaker in my book.

I almost never use quick reply maybe also due to this. I sure hope Apple comes back from this and will allow it in the near future. A similar thing applies for the use of Siri and third party keyboards. Gboard got around it and is using their own voice feature in their keyboard.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013

Number row? Permanent as well??

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Gboard is fantastic!
Finally a keyboard which simplified a lot everything, because I can use 3 languages at the same time and there is haptic feedback also which is awesome!
and fully customizable, means that is the best thing I have discovered in my life about iOS keyboards, Google won totally the competition here!!!!!
always updated and working like a charm!
I have only disabled the Swype cause I don't like it and the one hand more, cause I feel it is useless

for everything else it is perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.