Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anilu7

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Canada
It’s like that all over here. Someone mentions Toyota and then others say Chevy. Welcome to the internet.

I use both because it makes it easier for people get a hold of me. I’ll have a message on iMessage, WhatsApp, Telegram, and Facebook Messenger all with the same person and 4 different conservations.
That multiple chats drives me bonkers. I have all of the above plus Signal and not FB Messenger but my friend and I decide on one app to communicate and that’s it. iMessage if they’re iPhone users.

chicago19

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
Telegram is so overrated.

There's always the "whatsapp" group when anything is mentioned about iMessage. Now it seems there's the "telegram" group anytime "whatsapp" is mentioned. Use whatever works for you and realize outside the US, whatsapp rules.
While WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in the world, to say that outside of the US WhatsApp rules is also not accurate. WhatsApp is the most popular app in about 60 countries and there's 190+ countries in the world depending on who you ask or what's your source. There's plenty of countries that prefer iMessage, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, WeChat, Kakao.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Still going to uninstall it once RCS arrives in Autumn :cool:

WhatsApp must also implement RCS as they've been designated a gatekeeper under the EU Digital Markets Act antitrust legislation, since they dominate chat in Europe. That means chats should be interoperable between the future RCS versions of both iMessage and WhatsApp.

Reactions: iGeneo

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
That multiple chats drives me bonkers. I have all of the above plus Signal and not FB Messenger but my friend and I decide on one app to communicate and that’s it. iMessage if they’re iPhone users.
Aahh, yes, Signal also. I don’t mind this happening, its all in fun.

Rhhk

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
I’m take glad they’ve focused on the colour of the buttons and not something trivial like an iPad app

Reactions: iBluetooth

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
Which is preferred by the majority. Trust me, I know a marriage that ended because of that feature on iMessage. Had it been WhatsApp they would still be together.
Well I'm no expert, but it seams to me that that particular marriage probabply had issues regardless of any photo meta data, but I might ofc be wrong

Reactions: Da_Shiznit

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
My WhatsApp had an interface change very similar to this a few months ago with the blue and colorful symbols being replaced by green/monochrome ones. Including the icons in Settings. Then after a few weeks it suddenly reverted back to the blue+colorful look. It kept the new attachment tray though.

Last edited:

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
I wish they'd fix the unreliable notifications issue I've been having since the redesign was pushed out. The messages arrive to my phone, I even get a badge, but no tile on the lock screen, nor a sound/vibration. But only intermittently; sometimes it does work correctly, making it hard to reproduce and prove. The worst kind of programming bug.

I'm beginning to look very tardy at responding because I glance at the lock screen, no messages, great... unlock phone, 1 message delivered 30 MINUTES AGO. I can't even claim I didn't receive it yet due to the two ticks. It's making me look so bad through no fault of my own.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Can I just say how ****ing annoying these gradual rollouts are?

I don’t understand how the hell they even do it, how are you locking an entire ass UI behind an arbitrary server side flag and what the point of even doing this ******** is

I hate A/B testing and gradual rollouts so much, if you make a new UI just deploy it for everyone, *******.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam

I don’t understand how the hell they even do it, how are you locking an entire ass UI behind an arbitrary server side flag and what the point of even doing this ******** is

I hate A/B testing and gradual rollouts so much, if you make a new UI just deploy it for everyone, *******.
Unfortunate it triggers such strong feelings in you.

Anyway, you can simply go to WhatsApp in the App Store and update manually to version 24.9.78 to get the new interface.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Nope, it doesn’t work
You download the update but the new UI will appear whenever it feels like lol
That’s weird. In the release notes the new UI is specifically mentioned this time around and it immediately switched mine over after updating. Same goes for some friends I checked with.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
That’s weird. In the release notes the new UI is specifically mentioned this time around and it immediately switched mine over after updating. Same goes for some friends I checked with.
Yeah it was mentioned in the Changelog when I updated but then it also said it was gonna be rolled out “in the following weeks”

Sure enough after updating I still get the same UI

Da_Shiznit

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2021
Yes, the will roll it out over the coming weeks. I'm also still waiting on the new UI. Even after re-installing I didn't get the new UI. I guess it's bound by phonenumber or something like that.

I agree. I really like the new UI but I'm still stuck with the old garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.