Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
It seems like the first set of ARM macs will be MacBooks. With Apple saying the transition period will take around 2-3 years, when can we expect an ARM Mac Mini? They seem to have neglected it and it is due for an update having only 8th gen CPU atm.

Only other current mac with 8th gen CPU is the base 13 inch rMBP which is speculated to be one of the first ARM macs.
Thoughts?

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
I could imagine, and this is pure speculation of course, that Apple in general will do the transition later with the devices renewed recently.

Therefore, I think:
* Macbook 12“: 2020 (no current model)
* MBA/MBP 13/14“: 2021 as they have been refreshed 2020
* MBP 16: 2020 or 2021 (refreshed 2019)

and so on. In this logic, the Mac mini would be slated for the transition already in 2020, but as the notebook consumer market seems more important to Apple, I would not be surprised if it will be released in 2021. But not as late as 2022.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
The Mac Mini is technically the first ARM Mac with the developer kit. Who knows, they might re-release it for real soon enough.
yeah I meant for consumers. Hopefully it being used for the dev kit is a good sign or it was just the cheapest option.

Reactions: Glmnet1

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I could imagine, and this is pure speculation of course, that Apple in general will do the transition later with the devices renewed recently.

Therefore, I think:
* Macbook 12“: 2020 (no current model)
* MBA/MBP 13/14“: 2021 as they have been refreshed 2020
* MBP 16: 2020 or 2021 (refreshed 2019)

and so on. In this logic, the Mac mini would be slated for the transition already in 2020, but as the notebook consumer market seems more important to Apple, I would not be surprised if it will be released in 2021. But not as late as 2022.
I think they'll go for a thin and light yet extremely powerful mac as the first ARM mac. So something like a MacBook Air or 13-14 inch pro which could outperform the higher end line up. They wouldn't make the first ARM mac super expensive so it won't be the 16 inch first. Around $1000 price point hopefully with buffed graphics.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I’m in the same boat. I’m waiting for the next Mac mini. Unfortunately right now there are no leaks about an AS mini in the pipeline - that doesn’t mean much though, as the mini doesn’t receive a lot of attention from leakers. My guess is the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13” (14”?) and the smaller iMac are going to be the first macs.

Maybe sometime next year though. Apple was VERY aggressive when they switched to intel machines. Essentially from Jan - Sept 2006 Apple launched 11 brand new macs all with intel chips. They did this to show consumers that they were serious about intel and wanted developers to get serious about intel support. My guess is they will do something similar this next year too. I have a feeling next year we are going to see a lot of new macs.

Reactions: Altherekho

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
wishing ASAP, but expecting it from WWDC 2021 onwards.
Don't think it will come before or with the initial "show off" AS macbook & mac.

Reactions: jazz1 and Boyd01

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I know it is all speculation, and the sooner the better of course. But does a later release (vs. other Macs) of the MacMini reflect supply of ARM chips? Or is it just some kind of marketing process? It could be both I suppose.

For me it is going to be hard to resist any first released ARM Mac whatever form it takes! I have to keep reminding myself what do I really need in these Pandemic times? If I was a wise person I'd let them all get released. But, I doubt I will :D

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I know it is all speculation, and the sooner the better of course. But does a later release (vs. other Macs) of the MacMini reflect supply of ARM chips? Or is it just some kind of marketing process? It could be both I suppose.

For me it is going to be hard to resist any first released ARM Mac whatever form it takes! I have to keep reminding myself what do I really need in these Pandemic times? If I was a wise person I'd let them all get released. But, I doubt I will :D
right because we know even tho it's gonna be a 13 inch MacBook first, it will be very powerful so it will be very hard to resist. hopefully they explain their plan for the desktop chips but they probably won't

Reactions: jazz1

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Mac mini , the larger iMac, 16" Macbook pro - next year

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It seems like the first set of ARM macs will be MacBooks. With Apple saying the transition period will take around 2-3 years, when can we expect an ARM Mac Mini? They seem to have neglected it and it is due for an update having only 8th gen CPU atm.

Only other current mac with 8th gen CPU is the base 13 inch rMBP which is speculated to be one of the first ARM macs.
Thoughts?

There are three 8th Gen based Intel Macs still sold new: 2020 2-port 13" MacBook Pro, 21.5" iMac, and the Mac mini.

My guess for the 2020 2-port 13" MacBook Pro is that it will be discontinued whenever either the Apple Silicon MacBook Air or the Apple Silicon replacement to the Intel 4-port 13" MacBook Pro is released, whichever happens first. It will not see an Apple Silicon replacement itself, it will just be discontinued. That should be happening imminently. (My guess is that we'll see the Apple Silicon Air before the Apple Silicon replacement to the current 4-port 13" MacBook Pro, but that's just me.)

My guess for the 21.5" iMac is that the rumored 24" Apple Silicon iMac will be its direct replacement with an all-new design. That should also be happening imminently.

My guess for the Mac mini is that it will either get replaced with an Apple Silicon model sometime in the first half of 2021 or that it will be discontinued outright. I think the former is more likely. I only suggest the latter as Mac mini rumors and speculation seems scant right now. There are rumored timeframes for pretty much every other Mac in the lineup save for it. Intel is eventually discontinuing production on 8th Gen CPUs. So, the current Mac mini model will have to be discontinued before too long one way or the other.

MooffooM

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
My guess for the Mac mini is that it will either get replaced with an Apple Silicon model sometime in the first half of 2021 or that it will be discontinued outright.
IMHO it is extremely unlikely that the mini is discontinued... it is the only mac model left that is practical for use in server farms, and there is a healthy market for service providers that provide Mac environments... Apple even mentions their use in server farms on the Mac mini web page!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I hope they don't end the Mac-Mini. Though my dream is they give us something we can easily add RAM and SSD/HD to! I don't care if it is larger. Not all of us can afford a Pro. I saw one You-Tuber claim to shopping basket a $35.000 Pro! Sure Apple wants to differentiate itself from "cheaper" Intel/Windows boxes, but geez Apple give us back a Mac we can customize after the sale.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Probably the Mac Mini will always be around, as long as businesses and server farms want respectively need them.

I don't know if Apple makes it purposely difficult/impossible to update and add RAM/storage afterwards (so they can sell the higher capacity at "Apple tax" higher price) or if there are technical reasons for it. I think I've read somewhere storage upgrade is an issue because of the T2 security chip.

Personally I'd instantbuy a Mac-"Nano" that is Apple TV or even "PC stick" sized, even if it's just a base model for light tasks.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
I hope they don't end the Mac-Mini. Though my dream is they give us something we can easily add RAM and SSD/HD to! I don't care if it is larger. Not all of us can afford a Pro. I saw one You-Tuber claim to shopping basket a $35.000 Pro! Sure Apple wants to differentiate itself from "cheaper" Intel/Windows boxes, but geez Apple give us back a Mac we can customize after the sale.
I wonder if the fact that it's being used for the DTK will impact it's release timeline.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012

Because of the T2, I think the SSD will never be replaceable on any Mac.

I also think that the 2018 Mini will be the last Mini you can upgrade RAM yourself. That’s my guess.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I wonder if the fact that it's being used for the DTK will impact it's release timeline.

Doubt it. The DTK is a limited-release machine for devs only and apple will stop making it by WWDC 2021. Also the DTK had no impact on current Mac mini production so I wouldn’t be worried about that. What I’m more worried about is RAM and storage upgrades.

My guess is we will see a mini Q1-2 next year as they “updated” the mini this last spring and the mini doesn’t seem to be their top priority for consumers.

As others have said, the mini is really the only option for servers and companies like Mac Stadium purchase thousands of these machines every few years. That’s partly why Apple doesn’t update the mini often because most of their mini customers buy in bulk and they don’t need them every year.

I do think the new “pro” mini from 2018 got a lot of people interested in the mini. I personally never even considered the mini as an option but when the offered a 6-core i7 I was sold immediately. If they can offer maybe a 12-core mini next year with a decent iGPU that can handle 4K video editing I will be the first in line.

Reactions: Tagbert

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Doubt it. The DTK is a limited-release machine for devs only and apple will stop making it by WWDC 2021. Also the DTK had no impact on current Mac mini production so I wouldn’t be worried about that. What I’m more worried about is RAM and storage upgrades.

My guess is we will see a mini Q1-2 next year as they “updated” the mini this last spring and the mini doesn’t seem to be their top priority for consumers.

As others have said, the mini is really the only option for servers and companies like Mac Stadium purchase thousands of these machines every few years. That’s partly why Apple doesn’t update the mini often because most of their mini customers buy in bulk and they don’t need them every year.

I do think the new “pro” mini from 2018 got a lot of people interested in the mini. I personally never even considered the mini as an option but when the offered a 6-core i7 I was sold immediately. If they can offer maybe a 12-core mini next year with a decent iGPU that can handle 4K video editing I will be the first in line.
I myself used a MacBook Pro for 6+ years, but the Mac Mini price point + the upgradeable RAM and the fact that I used my MacBook in clamshell mode with dual monitors anyway, led me to purchase the Mini. From now on I'm only interested in the Mini, because I wanna use my own monitors and peripherals. MacBooks are too expensive to only use in clamshell mode. iMac has ugly bezels, maybe if they redesign I'll be interested but I still want a second monitor. Mac Pro too expensive lol. So the only option left for me is the Mini which is their most neglected product lol. Guess we'll have to wait for Spring/Summer 2021 for an ARM Mini.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I never thought of the T2 chip compliction. So what happens if the SSD/HD dies? I suppose Apple can replace it. I wonder if Apple authorized repair shops could or not?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The Mac Mini is technically the first ARM Mac with the developer kit. Who knows, they might re-release it for real soon enough.

That's my hope...but then my 2nd choice would be a Macbook Air. If i remember, MBA was originally the goal anyway, then it all got mystified.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I myself used a MacBook Pro for 6+ years, but the Mac Mini price point + the upgradeable RAM and the fact that I used my MacBook in clamshell mode with dual monitors anyway, led me to purchase the Mini. From now on I'm only interested in the Mini, because I wanna use my own monitors and peripherals. MacBooks are too expensive to only use in clamshell mode. iMac has ugly bezels, maybe if they redesign I'll be interested but I still want a second monitor. Mac Pro too expensive lol. So the only option left for me is the Mini which is their most neglected product lol. Guess we'll have to wait for Spring/Summer 2021 for an ARM Mini.

Totally agree. I am in a similar boat. I invested in two nice 4K P3 color dell monitors. I don’t want an iMac even if it’s redesigned with thin bezels. My current monitors have razor thin bezels already and I already own them. I just want a head-less Mac but the Mac Pro is also out of my price range. I’m hoping for a 12-core machine with good graphics (currently using an eGPU with Vega 56). Essentially I just want to swap out my current 2018 mini. I still love that machine but I’m pushing it to its limits with rendering and large projects.

Reactions: F23

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
IMHO it is extremely unlikely that the mini is discontinued... it is the only mac model left that is practical for use in server farms, and there is a healthy market for service providers that provide Mac environments... Apple even mentions their use in server farms on the Mac mini web page!

That was before the advent of the Rack Mount version of the 2019 Mac Pro. I'm not saying the Mac mini doesn't have tremendous server farm utility. Just that Apple may have shifted that particular target market focus to the Mac Pro (especially since the Xeons are much closer to what you'd ordinarily find in an actual server farm).

• Sad
Reactions: MiniApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.