Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Because of the T2, I think the SSD will never be replaceable on any Mac.
Not the case fortunately, Apple sells an SSD upgrade kit for the Mac Pro, which has a T2.

Reactions: MevetS

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Not the case fortunately, Apple sells an SSD upgrade kit for the Mac Pro, which has a T2.

Traditional SSD, probably not.
A T2-based controller-less SSD like the in the MacPro and iMac Pro, etc maybe. Soldered to the logic-board - probably. Upgradable ram? Hopefully.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I think the Mac mini will take a backseat until the iMacs are switched over to Apple silicon...so mid 2021? If the A14 can do what it does in an iPhone 12 mini, imagine what an Apple silicon Mac mini could be reimagined to look like?

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
At best you get guesses, more likely you get a wish list.

The mac mini format being used as in the DTK IMHO will have no impact on any product: it probably was just a handy case to put a quick hack for an A12 based motherboard inside. These kits are not anywhere close to what will ship as an Apple Silicon mac as they lack very important interfaces (like thunderbolt) and are based on a CPU that's at least 2 generation older than those that will get put in the shipping products. It's just something that has a basic Apple Silicon basis to allow developers get a head start before the rest of us get production level machines.

I for one hope these same developers will get their production level machines a tad earlier than the rest of us too - would make the 3rd party software all a tad bit more tested - or at least give us a week or two head start on getting a better version of the software.

As to the dates: Apple is probably very, very hard at work to avoid leaks so that sites like this one cannot predict release dates all too well.
The reliable knowledge of such release dates rocks the boat heavily on purchase decisions made by the masses. Two years out would make it far too disruptive for a publicly traded company.

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I believe that the reason Apple chose the Mac Mini chassis for the DTK is that it gave them room to fit in the frankensteined components (I think this also plays into the "no benchmarks", "no dissassembly" clauses of the Developer Agreements for the DTK). There was no need to use a PowerMac/MacPro chassis like they did for the PPC-Intel transition, since Apple Silicon doesn't require a large motherboard (logic board) or massive heat dissipation features that Intel requires. With that being said, I doubt that the DTK itself really unveils anything about the production Macs running Apple Silicon other than it could be built in the existing Mac Mini chassis. The goal of the DTK is to develop applications for Apple Silicon, not to show off the hardware in advance of the official launch.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I bought the current Mini when it was released, so I'm not in the market anytime soon. Yet, for its use case, the Apple Silicon version would work great for me. It is my Macbook Pro that run Windows in a VM. And Crossover.

JeepGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Barrie
Personally I would love to see an AS mini, or maybe a Micro they should be able to make it much smaller like a slightly larger apple tv.

• Love
Reactions: MiniApple

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
So expect 13" Macbook air and 13" Macbook pro to be available in November for customers, with 24 redesign iMac for December

mac min and the rest, next year in fall

Reactions: DHagan4755

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
It seems like the first set of ARM macs will be MacBooks. With Apple saying the transition period will take around 2-3 years, when can we expect an ARM Mac Mini? They seem to have neglected it and it is due for an update having only 8th gen CPU atm.

Only other current mac with 8th gen CPU is the base 13 inch rMBP which is speculated to be one of the first ARM macs.
Thoughts?
Did you buy the Mac mini?

I'm expecting the higher-end Apple Silicon chips, that has been under R&D since as early as 2017, to have a Mac event by March.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Did you buy the Mac mini?

I'm expecting the higher-end Apple Silicon chips, that has been under R&D since as early as 2017, to have a Mac event by March.
yes I got the M1 Mac Mini on day 1. surpassed my expectations. doesn't even get warm, let alone hot. super snappy. Rosetta 2 makes every Intel app work flawlessly.

• Love
Reactions: Hexley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.