Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
The article below references how several Mac OS Monterrey features are not available on Intel Macs and only available on M1 Macs.

Seeing as how they’re cutting out people who made purchases that costed thousands of dollars, only a couple years ago, WHERE are our M1 iPad OS 15 features???

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
A promise to run macOS on iPad, at least an altered versions of it.
Nobody know how far apple has converted iPadOS into macOS, or the other way around.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
The article below references how several Mac OS Monterrey features are not available on Intel Macs and only available on M1 Macs.

Seeing as how they’re cutting out people who made purchases that costed thousands of dollars, only a couple years ago, WHERE are our M1 iPad OS 15 features???

These features aren’t available because I believe they utilise the neural engine in apples own chips which intels chips do not contain.

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
Ask yourself what new hardware the M1 has as opposed to A12Z. None as far as I can see. It is just more powerful version of the same type (CPU/GPU/Neural engine) so why would an M1 have more capabilities than the A12X/Z in the iPadOS?

Except for the 3D map features, all unique M1 MacOS features seem to be linked to the neural engine which Intel lacks.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Tim Cook has opened up the VIP for the M1 gang on Mac. We have paid our way into the PRO price range for an M1 chip. Where are our VIP features, made in Silicon with love, designed for the PRO users?

CinnamonRage

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2015
Scotland
Intel and Apple Silicon are completely different chips.

M1 is basically an A14X, so everything that can run on an A14 should also run on the M1.
Honestly, this.

Everyone seems to forget since the iPad would have been going onto A14X which is kind of what the M1 is, it’s just a normal upgrade cycle and not something radically different.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Lol M1 is an iPad chip. People are so easily fooled. Apple gave an iPad chip to the Mac and named it M1, hurray, it’s much faster than Intel etc - actually, A series CPUs have been faster than equivalent chips of Intel for a long time. So now Apple puts back the iPad chip to the iPad and people now expect the iPad to become the Mac . Funny times.

CinnamonRage

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2015
Scotland
I saw a reviewer compare the iPad Air A14 (latest) to the M1 iPad and it took half the time or less to do the tests he put to it. Guess that’s the Pro bit.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Apple was already using their own chips in ALL of the iPads so there will never be any special features for the M1 iPad Pro.

A simple way to think about it is to just forget that its a M1 chip in there. Think of it as the A14 chip and the upgrade to the A12x chip, because that's really what it is. It isn't some massive leap in technology because Apple was always using their own chip inside ALL of the iPads which is why there is barely a difference in the 2020 iPad Pro and the 2021 iPad Pro.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
You mean "I bought something based on a fantasy assumption that Apple was going to do something that they never said they were going to do" isn't a logical way to make purchase decisions?
I mean, read the very second post on this thread.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You mean "I bought something based on a fantasy assumption that Apple was going to do something that they never said they were going to do" isn't a logical way to make purchase decisions?
That is exactly what I am saying. 2 + 2 has never equaled ‘I expect Apple to live up to the made up rumors floating around in my head mentality.

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
Intel iPads don't exist.
Also I don't understand why someone would wish that certain features weren't available on old iPads; it should be the opposite.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Intel iPads don't exist.
Also I don't understand why someone would wish that certain features weren't available on old iPads; it should be the opposite.

Because it makes some people who unnecessarily upgraded feel like their purchase decision is justified.

Reactions: G46&Fbnth5

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

If the previous iPads were x86 based then perhaps you'd have a point.

Since they were all powered by the same ARM tech as the M1, your complaint is totally and utterly without merit.

As others have pointed out, the M1 is just a souped up A chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.