Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
The article below references how several Mac OS Monterrey features are not available on Intel Macs and only available on M1 Macs.

Seeing as how they’re cutting out people who made purchases that costed thousands of dollars, only a couple years ago, WHERE are our M1 iPad OS 15 features???

You were never promised anything.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Honestly, this.

Everyone seems to forget since the iPad would have been going onto A14X which is kind of what the M1 is, it’s just a normal upgrade cycle and not something radically different.
It's surprising how long this has taken to sink in, considering this was being widely discussed as soon as the M1 Macs were announced. A lot of people even correctly predicted Apple wouldn't make an A14X for the iPad because... they already made it with the M1. I guess it goes to show how influential marketing spin can be, though it seems to have backfired in this case by spiking expectations unreasonably.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the salient point here is the M1 is just like any other ARM processor that apple rolled out and sadly people misunderstood the marketing of this, and assumed that we'd see a flood of iPad Pro exclusives, either in apps, or special OS features.

This is just an assumption, but its my belief that the IPP market share (compared to the other iPads) is so small I'm not sure its worth Apple's investment to roll out specific products just for the iPad Pro.

I mean, as mentioned earlier in this thread, they have a MacBook Pro, (had) an iMac Pro and still have a Mac Pro. None of these got special attention from apple, where they provided special features in the OS or Apps would only run on those "pro" machines. Why would we expect anything different?

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The reality is that iPhone and iPad chips have been “better” than the Intel chips available in the consumer MacBook for years. It’s just that people tend to associate “computer” with “more powerful.” All the M1 did was help the MacBook catch up to the iPad. Having used both an M1 MacBook Air and iPad extensively this week, they perform similarly. When I had a 2018 iPad Pro and an Intel MacBook, the iPad was by far the superior machine. But because of how we view laptops, it was hard to recognize how good those prior iPads were…

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I doubt that there will be anything specific to the M1, but I am hoping that Adobe steps up to offer full functionality on all of the Creative Cloud suite. That would make the power of the M1 really worth it.

lucasajackson

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
I see both sides of the conversation: Apple never promising new "pro" software features and people expecting more from an M1 iPad. I personally thought there'd be more to iPadOS this year, in part, because Apple is now advertising how much RAM is part of the M1 package in the iPad (which is new), and Apple offering 16GB of RAM on higher-end models (I know this isn't new to the iPad; as higher storage models have had more RAM in the past, but never 8GB more... let alone both configurations being advertised). Further, we can actually see Apple silicon's capabilities after being on the more open Mac platform. It's one thing to see synthetic benchmark numbers comparing Intel chips to Apple silicon, but it's completely different experiencing the performance of Mac apps you're familiar with running on the new chip that's similar to the previous iPad Pro processor (A12z/x).

All of that being said, circumstancial evidence suggests there's more to the M1 chip being in an iPad than just running the same old iPadOS. Does anyone know if iPadOS 15 increases the 5GB RAM utilization limit on apps? That could be a key indicator for potential future plans...

Last edited:

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
$4500 for a 2018 MBP and now they're pulling this BS about features only on M1. Yep. I want to hunt down Elon and have him fund me creating a new ecosystem.

Hmm. You know - he may just hate Apple enough to pony up the cash.
It's not Apple's fault that Intel CPUs are expensive trash.

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
It's odd that they are creating this ranking system where Intel-based Macs are now the lesser tier Macs in their respective categories and are gated from certain functionality. However, the iPP which also has the M1 isn't necessarily getting the same treatment. It's likey somewhat iPad OS and somewhat a lack of competition with no Intel-based iPad Pro.

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
The article below references how several Mac OS Monterrey features are not available on Intel Macs and only available on M1 Macs.

Seeing as how they’re cutting out people who made purchases that costed thousands of dollars, only a couple years ago, WHERE are our M1 iPad OS 15 features???

Seriously? That’s greedy. How about those who can’t upgrade their iPads?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Seriously? That’s greedy. How about those who can’t upgrade their iPads?
It's not greedy in the slightest, and no different from anything else.

There's iOS 14 features my iPhone 7+ can't take advantage of because it's not got the relevant hardware.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
It's odd that they are creating this ranking system where Intel-based Macs are now the lesser tier Macs in their respective categories and are gated from certain functionality.

You do know that limiting features to newer Macs has happened several times before often due to lacking HW (like only supporting an older BT version).

Also, all we have seen sofar is the state of 1st non public beta, so just cool of a bit.

Or maybe you did write an angry letter to Steve Jobs for not being able to use Bootcamp when it was released shortly after you dropped 5k on PMac-Quad.......

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
It's surprising how long this has taken to sink in, considering this was being widely discussed as soon as the M1 Macs were announced. A lot of people even correctly predicted Apple wouldn't make an A14X for the iPad because... they already made it with the M1. I guess it goes to show how influential marketing spin can be, though it seems to have backfired in this case by spiking expectations unreasonably.
Yeah, people have to look beyond the marketing. If you look at the Geekbench scores, the M1 iPad Pro is about 9% faster in SC and 74% faster in MC compared to an A14 iPad Air. But if you compare A12X iPads with A12 iPads, the difference is about 3% in SC and 70% in MC. In other words, very similar. So it is safe to say the M1 is to the A14 what the A12X was to the A12.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Honestly, this.

Everyone seems to forget since the iPad would have been going onto A14X which is kind of what the M1 is, it’s just a normal upgrade cycle and not something radically different.
Exactly. The decision to call the chip in the iPad “M1” rather than A14X is purely a marketing decision. In fact they could have called the M1 an A14X from the start but the public reaction would be folks complaining that Apple put a chip from the iPad into their Macintosh line of computers.

Apple’s marketing decision is genius and actually makes people (who don’t know any better) feel impressed that Apple could fit a chip used in a Mac into the iPad Pro. This decision probably gets a more positive reaction compared to putting an “iPad chip” into a Mac.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020

what M1? M1 is just a SoC that can be placed in ipads also, since 10W is low enough for the evelope...Why should apple build another different chip just for the ipad when they have this M1..its good for them and for us,since if someone wants to keep the m1 ipad pro, probably he can hold it for 5-6-7 years
People assumed that M1 was meant to be for the ipad pro..but it was meant to be the best for a lot of their devices and for their profit margins...if they could they would placed this into iphones as well...but iphone needs around 4-7W SoC

Last edited:

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah, people have to look beyond the marketing. If you look at the Geekbench scores, the M1 iPad Pro is about 9% faster in SC and 74% faster in MC compared to an A14 iPad Air. But if you compare A12X iPads with A12 iPads, the difference is about 3% in SC and 70% in MC. In other words, very similar. So it is safe to say the M1 is to the A14 what the A12X was to the A12.
Exactly! The M1 IS the A14X, period!

What is remarkable though is that they put the M1 in the iPad Air. If you look at the different generations of the iPad Air, the first one had an ordinary A7, the second did have an A8X, the third one went back to the A12, the fourth one had the A14 and now the fifth one has the “A14X” instead of the A15.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Exactly! The M1 IS the A14X, period!

What is remarkable though is that they put the M1 in the iPad Air. If you look at the different generations of the iPad Air, the first one had an ordinary A7, the second did have an A8X, the third one went back to the A12, the fourth one had the A14 and now the fifth one has the “A14X” instead of the A15.

A#X was typically just the iPad chips because the much higher resolution display required more processing power than regular A# can deliver.

After the regular A# chip became fast enough, they segregated the product lines and released a dedicated inexpensive entry level iPad model and the A#X (and now M#) was made exclusive to the higher end iPads.

The A7 was an anomaly likely because they ran out of headroom for thermal/power.

A5X : iPad 3rd gen
A6X : iPad 4th gen
A7 : iPad Air
A8X : iPad Air 2
A9X : iPad Pro 1st gen
A10X : iPad Pro 2nd gen
A12X : iPad Pro 3rd gen
A12Z : iPad Pro 4th gen
M1 : iPad Pro 5th gen, iPad Air 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.