Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I guess what I am looking for is a jacket/trench coat or something similar that can hold my camera and lenses. I find that I miss a lot of good photography opportunities because I do not carry my camera around wherever I go. That is because it is too inconvenient to carry around a backpack, then take the backpack off, unzip it, take the camera out, and then zip everything back up. Whereas if I had a jacket or trench coat that could hold all my camera equipment in inner pockets it'd be a lot easier to whip out the camera and take the picture.

With this it would also look a lot less like I was carrying around a camera and be less likely for my equipment to be stolen. I have heard about such an item being made, however I do not remember a website or product name. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Cheaper is better for a college student)

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Depending on what shots you are missing, have you thought of getting a decent P&S camera that you can easily carry in a pocket? With the jackets costing $130 or so you are halfway there.

So you wont have every possible shooting option covered but if you can cover say 70% with a P&S you are doing well and lets be honest, are you really wanting to carry everything all the time? The easier it is to carry the more likely you are to carry.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
This should do.

You aren't going to be inconspicuous though. In fact you will look like either a National Geographic photog, or just a tool. :D

Thanks, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for! And I wouldn't mind if people mistook me for a National Geographic photographer ;)

Depending on what shots you are missing, have you thought of getting a decent P&S camera that you can easily carry in a pocket? With the jackets costing $130 or so you are halfway there.

So you wont have every possible shooting option covered but if you can cover say 70% with a P&S you are doing well and lets be honest, are you really wanting to carry everything all the time? The easier it is to carry the more likely you are to carry.

I'd rather not get a P&S, as I said in the first post, cheaper is better. With the jacket being $110 and I'm sure a good P&S is hundreds more, I'd rather get the jacket and have my dSLR and good glass come with me. If I was to get a P&S it'd probably be a Canon Powershot G9 because it can shoot RAW. However, that is about $500 if I remember correctly and with that price I could get the jacket and another good prime lens for my 40D.

RickDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
You might want to check this place out too.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_jackets_vests.shtml

It looks like their stuff is a little more under cover than the army jacket/safari style at B & H. However, I don't own any of their coats, so I don't know if the pockets would be big enough for a SLR. I'll bet you could easily fit a couple lenses in there though.

Heck, I could even throw a few lenses into the pockets of my big Wilson's leather jacket.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
You might want to check this place out too.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_jackets_vests.shtml

It looks like their stuff is a little more under cover than the army jacket/safari style at B & H. However, I don't own any of their coats, so I don't know if the pockets would be big enough for a SLR. I'll bet you could easily fit a couple lenses in there though.

Heck, I could even throw a few lenses into the pockets of my big Wilson's leather jacket.

Thanks, I am looking at them as well. I sent them an email asking if the pockets would be big enough for a dSLR and a couple lenses. I should be getting an email back in a couple days. I am leaning towards them because it would blend in more than the aforementioned ones.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have and wear both a Domke vest and a Domke jacket (depending upon weather conditions). They're great, but.....usually when I'm wearing them I still have most of my camera gear in a bag of some sort and for the most part I operate out of the bag. The coat or vest is handy for stashing a lens or two or for batteries and CF cards in a situation where I can then leave the bag in the car or some other safe place, but I have never tried to incorporate my actual DSLR body in it as well. Usually in such situations I'm carrying a tripod or monopod plus a long, heavy lens with other lenses in the bag for quick changes. In situations where I'll only be using one body and a couple of lenses, I usually just carry a Domke shoulder bag of the size I need and that's it, too.

Face it. Unfortunately if someone is to become a really serious photographer, this means lugging a lot of gear around one way or another, and even a photographer's vest or photographer's jacket is limited in what one can carry. These are not replacements for a good camera bag.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have and wear both a Domke vest and a Domke jacket (depending upon weather conditions). They're great, but.....usually when I'm wearing them I still have most of my camera gear in a bag of some sort and for the most part I operate out of the bag. The coat or vest is handy for stashing a lens or two or for batteries and CF cards in a situation where I can then leave the bag in the car or some other safe place, but I have never tried to incorporate my actual DSLR body in it as well. Usually in such situations I'm carrying a tripod or monopod plus a long, heavy lens with other lenses in the bag for quick changes. In situations where I'll only be using one body and a couple of lenses, I usually just carry a Domke shoulder bag of the size I need and that's it, too.

Face it. Unfortunately if someone is to become a really serious photographer, this means lugging a lot of gear around one way or another, and even a photographer's vest or photographer's jacket is limited in what one can carry. These are not replacements for a good camera bag.

Anywhere where I expect to go shooting, I'll of coarse bring my camera bag. I have a camera bag that I quite like and it can hold a dSLR or two with up to 6 lenses, including a telephoto. But what I'd us the jacket or vest for is when I don't expect to go shooting but want to have my camera with me just in case. I don't expect to carry all my gear in the jacket, probably only the 40D, a 17-40 ƒ/4L, and a prime.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Sorry, but I think a p&s is the only really practical solution to your problem. You can buy the vest and jackets all you want, but I think the novelty of owning the vest/jacket with the multiple lenses and DSLR inside will wear off quickly.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Isn't it true that you are not limited by what you carry on you through an airport? So you could carry as much on your person as possible and put the least important gear in the hold luggage or ease the burden on the carry on bag? That is one reason why I would buy a jacket.

I was also told that a camera slung around the neck is classed as jewelry as well.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sorry, but I think a p&s is the only really practical solution to your problem. You can buy the vest and jackets all you want, but I think the novelty of owning the vest/jacket with the multiple lenses and DSLR inside will wear off quickly.

I very highly doubt that I will be satisfied with the quality of a P&S though. And with a P&S I will be very limited in depth of field, lens choice because I'm stuck with whatever is tacked on to the camera from the start. I could never own a P&S and like to use it, I'd rather just carry around my dSLR and get the quality I desire.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable lugging all that kit around with me on my physical being. Surely a jacket that carries a DSLR body + 2 lenses and accessories is just going to be too huge to walk around in?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable lugging all that kit around with me on my physical being. Surely a jacket that carries a DSLR body + 2 lenses and accessories is just going to be too huge to walk around in?

This one doesn't look uncomfortable and someone from the website emailed me back and stated that it would work for my purpose. Link

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
I'd like to hear back in a year how much use you end up getting out of this type of product.

It's a problem many of us face. This solution just sounds awkward to me, though. I imagine the weight of a camera, especially with any sort of zoom lens attached, would really pull at you. One side of the jacket would hang low. If it wasn't zipped-up the camera side would bounce around, and possibly off of doorways, chairs, etc. When you sit down you'll have to grip the sides of the jacket to keep your camera/lenses from bouncing off of the chair arm or smacking the person you're sitting next to. Plus, in warm weather it would be intolerable, so you're only getting a six-month (?) solution anyway.

Not that I have a better solution, mind you. What about a bike-messenger style bag? Those can be slid from back to front more easily than a backpack, meaning you could store your camera and retrieve it quickly if desired. And it would be usable year round. Plus, there's always that quasi-hip bike-messenger style working in your favor.

Disclaimer: My D80 and favorite 18-200 lens might be bulkier than your 40D with lens. I'm basing my assumptions mostly on my own gear, of course.

Good luck.

P.S. Southern Cal? How many jacket-wearing days a year do you get? (jealous)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'd like to hear back in a year how much use you end up getting out of this type of product.

It's a problem many of us face. This solution just sounds awkward to me, though. I imagine the weight of a camera, especially with any sort of zoom lens attached, would really pull at you. One side of the jacket would hang low. If it wasn't zipped-up the camera side would bounce around, and possibly off of doorways, chairs, etc. When you sit down you'll have to grip the sides of the jacket to keep your camera/lenses from bouncing off of the chair arm or smacking the person you're sitting next to. Plus, in warm weather it would be intolerable, so you're only getting a six-month (?) solution anyway.

Not that I have a better solution, mind you. What about a bike-messenger style bag? Those can be slid from back to front more easily than a backpack, meaning you could store your camera and retrieve it quickly if desired. And it would be usable year round. Plus, there's always that quasi-hip bike-messenger style working in your favor.

Disclaimer: My D80 and favorite 18-200 lens might be bulkier than your 40D with lens. I'm basing my assumptions mostly on my own gear, of course.

Good luck.

P.S. Southern Cal? How many jacket-wearing days a year do you get? (jealous)

I don't think it sounds too awkward, I mean it would be easier than wearing a backpack all day since the weight would be more evenly distributed. With a backpack all the weight is pulling against your shoulders and back, but with this it is evenly distributed upon your body. I am used to carrying heavier stuff around with me everywhere, as I commonly take my 5.5 pound laptop with extra battery, and accessories along with me. It actually feels like I'm missing something if I don't have my laptop with me so that shouldn't be a problem either.

If I got the vest solution I wouldn't think it'd be too hot as it wouldn't have sleeves. The majority of your body heat escapes through your hands, feet, and head, so as long as I don't have my hands in a glove or anything I would think that it'd be cooler. The problem with getting a backpack would be that I go to school and already have to take one so that would not work. The backpack that I have for school is not big enough for my camera and doesn't even have near the amount of protection for a backpack solution. Thus I wouldn't be able to use a backpack like has been suggested. Your D80 and my 40D are probably pretty similar in weight and bulk as I take a 17-40 ƒ/4L around as my walkaround lens.

Here in SoCal it gets decently cool in the winter, although a bit on the hot side in the summer. I'd say that people normally wear their jackets in about 9 of the 12 months, give or take a month.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2007
This one doesn't look uncomfortable and someone from the website emailed me back and stated that it would work for my purpose. Link

But then they would say that to sell their product ;)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
But then they would say that to sell their product ;)

While that is true, they stated that that particular one had larger pockets than some of their other ones in that range. And if it can fit a water bottle, I would guess it could fit a telephoto lens.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I
If I got the vest solution I wouldn't think it'd be too hot as it wouldn't have sleeves. The majority of your body heat escapes through your hands, feet, and head, so as long as I don't have my hands in a glove or anything I would think that it'd be cooler.

Do you know why Canadians like to wear vests? ;)

My image of wearing a vest or jacket "solution" is similar to Eauboy's. If you put the camera into an upper chest pocket, it's going to really bulge out of your vest and look absurd. Also, due to the weight you're carrying, you'll get a lot of "swinging" whenever you turn your body (if your jacket isn't zipped). If you put it in a lower pocket (ie: one near your abs, or to the side near your ribs), it'd be uncomfortable. You'll also bang it a few times. If you keep the vest unzipped, your pockets will also swing.

Another thing: What's the difference between these "gear jackets" and a regular jacket? If those pockets aren't padded, then just buy any jacket with 2 or 3 pockets and jam your camera into those pockets.

Do you plan on keeping the lens attached to the camera while its in your pocket, or do you plan on keeping the camera separate from the body when not in use? I think it would probably be better to keep the camera body separate from the lens, just to save size.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
A jacket for SLR(s) + lenses? And all the other stuff?

Sounds like it's out of a comic strip. (A remarkably photo-centric one, admittedly)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Apologies if someone has already mentioned these people. As Tina Turner once said "Simply the best!" - well, in my experience anyhow ;)

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
I can't help but think of Ladykillers when reading this thread.
"Oh look at this, I got blueberry syrup on my safari jacket. "

Here's another vote against camera coats and for a sling bag. For how you describe your purposes, it sounds pretty close. I bet it takes less than 10 seconds for me to have my camera out and shooting with my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW. I may be really off base, but I can't imagine being much quicker with one of those coats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.