Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtblueberry

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2007
Pismo Beach, CA
yeah...maybe a smaller quick tavel bag would be better. I can't decide what would look worse. A fanny-pack or a trenchcoat in SoCal. I live in California and hardly ever wear a normal jacket...heck, I wear flip-flops in December.
I agree that you'll be less likely to be robbed with the jacket...you may be more likely mistaken as trenchcoat mafia. I can see people hitting the floors when they see you coming now:D

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I can't help but think of Ladykillers when reading this thread.
"Oh look at this, I got blueberry syrup on my safari jacket. "

Here's another vote against camera coats and for a sling bag. For how you describe your purposes, it sounds pretty close. I bet it takes less than 10 seconds for me to have my camera out and shooting with my Lowepro Slingshot 100AW. I may be really off base, but I can't imagine being much quicker with one of those coats.

I wouldn't be able to wear one of those however, as I already have a backpack on the majority of the time. Thus why I want to get a jacket, which I would be able to wear.

yeah...maybe a smaller quick tavel bag would be better. I can't decide what would look worse. A fanny-pack or a trenchcoat in SoCal. I live in California and hardly ever wear a normal jacket...heck, I wear flip-flops in December.
I agree that you'll be less likely to be robbed with the jacket...you may be more likely mistaken as trenchcoat mafia. I can see people hitting the floors when they see you coming now:D

Heh, the same as I said above, I already have a backpack on the majority of the time, thus I can't wear one of those.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Over the years, I've played around with a couple of systems. I have a traditional 'vest', but wasn't ever really all that thrilled with the various bulges out of the pockets, etc. I've thought about moving up to a full jacket, but have hestitated because they would be even hotter still in the summertime, etc. I did finally wear the vest on my 2006 Tanzania trip because it was cool enought to need a vest...still don't really care for the chunky-clunky bit.

I've pretty much settled on wearing the vest for warmth ... and an occasional 'utility' pocket to throw a lens cap into ... and have been using one of two different SLR configurations, or one P&S config:

The first is a "Batman Utility Belt" from Kinesis . Its a bit intimidating-looking, but the belt's width makes it comfortable to wear for hours. Not good for when you're sitting (riding) or when frequently getting in & out of transportation.

The second is a shoulder bag (that I've had for years) that includes a waist strap (keeps it from bouncing around too bad). The evolution of this system was that I needed something that would also allow me to wear a 20lb daypack. Biggest complaint is that its shoulder strap is too narrow, so it digs in. For carrying an SLR around a city (without a pack), it works out pretty well, as its pretty straightforward to sling/de-sling when getting on & off of trains, cafes, etc.

The third is a generic small fanny pack that I wear to the front -- it holds just a compact umbrella, guidebook and a P&S camera. Its small and inconspicuous and it is what I take on a lot of my business trips.

-hh

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
I wouldn't be able to wear one of those however, as I already have a backpack on the majority of the time. Thus why I want to get a jacket, which I would be able to wear.

I understand that completely. However, I should note that I regularly wear my sling bag either to school with my backpack, or hiking with my CamelBak. I just tighten the strap a couple inches and sling the bag around to the front (as one would when accessing his camera) in doing so. Admittedly it's very slightly less comfortable in the front than in the back, but I've hiked for hours in this arrangement on some fairly advanced trails.

Just food for thought. Good luck with getting what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.