Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
i think the biggest sign that immersive content isn't prioritized on Apple's roadmap, is because there are two Environments they have been saying "coming soon" since release. Why wouldn't they just tuck those away until a new update. why even mention them since day one.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
i think the biggest sign that immersive content isn't prioritized on Apple's roadmap, is because there are two Environments they have been saying "coming soon" since release. Why wouldn't they just tuck those away until a new update. why even mention them since day one.

My guess would be dangling carrots in order to have buyers keep it beyond the two week return window.

Reactions: deaglecat

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021
Interesting read on what’s known so far about how Apple shoots immersive content:

How Apple shoots immersive content…

0900 - film crew shows up to work.
0905 - crew starts shooting.
0910 - filming ends.
0911 - crew goes on vacation for a month.

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
The new prehistoric immersive is pretty cool with the triceratops.

It has another flying sequence that makes me wish that Disney would release an Apple Vision Pro version of Avatar flight passage from Disney World. 😅

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

It has another flying sequence that makes me wish that Disney would release an Apple Vision Pro version of Avatar flight passage from Disney World. 😅
I’m excited to see an Episode 2 of their immersive content.
It’s really well done for sure!

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2021

I haven’t looked it up yet, but if it turns out to be 5 minutes long again you’re all gonna hear about it! 😂

Reactions: geauxmac

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
This all clearly means one thing: Tim Cook is not a big supporter of the AVP.

If the boss cared about it, things would be happening. So he doesn’t.

Tim was persuaded to release it because the product was pretty much done but personally doesn’t believe. Doom loop.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

This looks interesting
I don't yet know if this particular use case will be something I can enjoy and will be willing to pay for, but it seems interesting to me as a concept (i.e., engaging with characters in an immersive experience).

When this item was posted on the front page the other day, a bunch of the usual suspects weighed in with their AVP derision. In fact one person who's been particularly prolific in this regard commented on your post with a derogatory emoji, as if they're laughing at your expression of interest. In another post, they said their "comments about Vision are not personal swipes." Fair enough. I'm mature enough not to take them that way, and some of their other criticism of the AVP is indeed valid.

However, I still find it odd that some folks feel the need to do this incessantly. I have negative opinions about products from Apple and other vendors, but I don't spend my time contradicting people who like them.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I don't yet know if this particular use case will be something I can enjoy and will be willing to pay for, but it seems interesting to me as a concept (i.e., engaging with characters in an immersive experience).

When this item was posted on the front page the other day, a bunch of the usual suspects weighed in with their AVP derision. In fact one person who's been particularly prolific in this regard commented on your post with a derogatory emoji, as if they're laughing at your expression of interest. In another post, they said their "comments about Vision are not personal swipes." Fair enough. I'm mature enough not to take them that way, and some of their other criticism of the AVP is indeed valid.

However, I still find it odd that some folks feel the need to do this incessantly. I have negative opinions about products from Apple and other vendors, but I don't spend my time contradicting people who like them.
Oh I definitely wish it were Star Wars rather than Marvel, but because it’s all new I’m just excited to see what the studios are able to produce.

Like you said, some of the reasons people have for not liking VP are fair. The other comments are pretty easy to scroll past.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017

It’s not odd. It’s called keeping up with the Joneses. When certain people with an ego see somebody else doing better than they are then they will go out of their way to throw shade at them. In this case it’s those who can’t afford the AVP taking shots at people who can. Are there valid criticisms out there? Sure and you’re free to air them but if all you do is bag on something and those who enjoy it and it otherwise has zero effect on you or your life then there is only one logical explanation. Their ego’s can’t handle that some of us can afford it and they can’t. Laugh it off. It’s so pathetic it’s funny ….

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It’s not odd. It’s called keeping up with the Joneses. When certain people with an ego see somebody else doing better than they are then they will go out of their way to throw shade at them. In this case it’s those who can’t afford the AVP taking shots at people who can. Are there valid criticisms out there? Sure and you’re free to air them but if all you do is bag on something and those who enjoy it and it otherwise has zero effect on you or your life then there is only one logical explanation. Their ego’s can’t handle that some of us can afford it and they can’t. Laugh it off. It’s so pathetic it’s funny ….

This dumb argument again?

No, it isn’t about whether people can afford it or not. That claim may make owners of the device feel better but it doesn’t address any of the valid criticism about the device. It’s just a self elevating deflection.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I think I calculated one time that my TRS-80 I bought initially in 1978 and upgraded over time would cost over $7000 in today’s dollars. I didn’t need it but it was the incentive I needed to go to college to become a software engineer. It’s so pointless to judge others about how they spend their money. So when I see all of the judging about people spending their money on VP it’s frustrating to me. Anyway, you guys have said it all so well that I don’t need to go on. It’s nice to know that it’s not just me who gets frustrated at those types of posts.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Personally I'm not buying anything more VR at the moment until things look a lot more stable. On the Windows side with my Reverb G2 that looks shaky given the future of Windows Mixed Reality portal (it's going going gone). And then the Reverb G2 doesn't do anything under MacOS, even though it is detected:

1715567469378.png

While Apple doesn't sell Vision Pro in my country - so forget that idea. Bah!

On the flip side if Apple decided to try pushing into the PC side of the VR landscape that could be beneficial to Vision Pro by making it available to a much larger market. More sales, better for the long-term future of the headset. People are already trying to get it working with PCs so there is obviously demand.

Last edited by a moderator:

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Personally I'm not buying anything more VR at the moment until things look a lot more stable. On the Windows side with my Reverb G2 that looks shaky given the future of Windows Mixed Reality portal (it's going going gone). And then the Reverb G2 doesn't do anything under MacOS, even though it is detected:

View attachment 2377342

While Apple doesn't sell Vision Pro in my country - so forget that idea. Bah!

On the flip side if Apple decided to try pushing into the PC side of the VR landscape that could be beneficial to Vision Pro by making it available to a much larger market. More sales, better for the long-term future of the headset. People are already trying to get it working with PCs so there is obviously demand.
They will have to open it up to the pc market just like they did with iTunes, iPod and the phone. Otherwise it certainly will die, just like those products I mention.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
This is definitely worth a look:

Reactions: Surf Monkey

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
This is definitely worth a look:

The video quality is pretty low res but very impressive as far as true 360° in every direction without any distortion or fish eye effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.