Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Then is My New Music Mix supposed to a combination of Realease Radar and Discover Weekly?
I can't rightly say. My experience using Spotify, was before those playlists. What I can gather is My New Music Mix is new music that Apple algorithms say you'd like. My Favorites Mix is a combo of your favorites and music that is similar to your favorites.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I can't rightly say. My experience using Spotify, was before those playlists. What I can gather is My New Music Mix is new music that Apple algorithms say you'd like. My Favorites Mix is a combo of your favorites and music that is similar to your favorites.

So is that what Apple does with all those "Loves" and "Dislikes" I give to songs in my library?

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
So is that what Apple does with all those "Loves" and "Dislikes" I give to songs in my library?
I'd assume. It's what they promised when the service launched. This is the first time that it is working well. At least for me.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
I knew it'd eventually pay off to mark every song in my library.
I thought the exact same.
To be fair, I also use the radio features a lot. Loving and disliking has definitely improved in the past few months, radio wise.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I thought the exact same.
To be fair, I also use the radio features a lot. Loving and disliking has definitely improved in the past few months, radio wise.

I am finally biting the bullet and going through my library. I never bothered before, but the My New Music Mix was way off base for me. The favorites one was spot on though.

Edited to add that I'm not sure if play count is a factor in any of this, but honestly I wish that's what it all was based off of. My tastes are varied, and I never really know where I'm going to be headed, but it would be nice if it would just take what I've been listening to without input on my part and just show me things, a la Discover Weekly.

Since I primarily listen to music on Apple Music, my Discover Weekly lists on Spotify have gone to the dogs, and Apple Music seems to need a lot of pushing from me to get it right, which I'm just generally not taking the time to do.

Last edited:

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
I am finally biting the bullet and going through my library. I never bothered before, but the My New Music Mix was way off base for me. The favorites one was spot on though.

Edited to add that I'm not sure if play count is a factor in any of this, but honestly I wish that's what it all was based off of. My tastes are varied, and I never really know where I'm going to be headed, but it would be nice if it would just take what I've been listening to without input on my part and just show me things, a la Discover Weekly.

Since I primarily listen to music on Apple Music, my Discover Weekly lists on Spotify have gone to the dogs, and Apple Music seems to need a lot of pushing from me to get it right, which I'm just generally not taking the time to do.
I'm
Thinking it's an algorithm that's using every piece of data. Including play counts. The My Favorites Mix might have well been a playlist I would have had on my iPod a decade ago. All my sic that has high play counts in my library. I'm really impressed. Here's to hoping, that it continues to get better.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Here are the official playlist descriptions:

My Favorites Mix: the songs you love. The more you use Apple Music, the better the mix. Refreshed every Wednesday.

My New Music Mix: Discover new music from artists we think you'll like. Refreshed every Friday.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Very happy with the Favorites Mix after the first refresh. My first one last week was all hip hop, now this week it's all indie. I kinda like that they're changing up the genre each week so that the playlists have a flow to them. So far, both have been incredibly on point with my listening habits, in some cases going back several years in my play history to find stuff that was in heavy rotation for me a long time ago. Love it.

As for the new music mix? I don't think I've given Apple Music enough Love/Dislike feedback to make this one very good. I am now going through and either loving or disliking everything in the hopes that it will improve over time. Will be impressed if there's a major turnaround when it refreshes Friday.

Edited to add: after just one week of Liking/Disliking things in my library, the My New Music mix has improved DRASTICALLY. It's again, pretty indie heavy. But the first dozen songs in a row, I loved all of them instantly, and I had never heard of any of the artists before. Ended up adding over a dozen new albums to my library as a result of today's mix.

And all the music is legitimately new for the most part, with a lot of the records having just come out today. It would appear this is sort of a combination of Discover Weekly and Release Radar, but definitely leaning more towards newer music. It wasn't all stuff I loved, there were a few clunkers in there. And it was the 2nd week in a row I had to tell them "No thanks on this Lil' Yachty fella", but I just disliked and moved on.

I came away really impressed with both of these playlists after seeing them change week over week. This is exactly what I have been waiting for from Apple Music. Also, I know these are done by algorithm (they have to be, right?) but it really does flow like a playlist where the sequence and flow was considered by a human being. Job well done if this is all machine learning or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.