Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
You know, when the iPhone first came out, I don't think there was a person on this forum who didn't want one (albeit I wasn't following this at the time).

With this Apple Watch, it's a different story. I would hope Apple went into a product category with a really innovative solution. What they have is a tiny screen that they use a wheel on the side to scroll in -- how innovative, like the classroom projectors of the 70s.

And all that 'no content is obstructed' is ruined as soon as you use a swipe to navigate it. Apple have hyped this so much, and ended up creating a Galaxy Gear in nice packaging. They went with the 'watch' idea and were so consumed that they didn't do what Apple should -- create something nobody expected and everyone wanted.

Poor show.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
My main watch is an Omega Aqua Terra, but I'll likely be buying the Apple Watch in 38mm steel. Automatic watches are fun, but they're just male jewelry, and I have no problem supplanting them with something that is functional, and, in my opinion, doesn't look terrible. My big concern was size, and it seems that the 38mm Apple Watch addressed that concern. The case looks a little thick, but the placement of the strap attachment in the middle of the case should keep it from sitting up too tall on the wrist.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
My main watch is an Omega Aqua Terra, but I'll likely be buying the Apple Watch in 38mm steel. Automatic watches are fun, but they're just male jewelry, and I have no problem supplanting them with something that is functional, and, in my opinion, doesn't look terrible. My big concern was size, and it seems that the 38mm Apple Watch addressed that concern. The case looks a little thick, but the placement of the strap attachment in the middle of the case should keep it from sitting up too tall on the wrist.

And do you think you would still wear your Omega to posh dinners? Or the Apple Watch?

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Ha fair enough man!

I guess I should mention that, even though I'm now a business owner, I'm a former musician who still kind of looks like one, so I get away with a lot, especially in Los Angeles, which is very casual.

Ultimately, that's the difficult thing with designing a wearable for so many types of people. For me, I just didn't want the Apple Watch to be grotesque, and I didn't want it to be huge, and I think they at least accomplished that. LOL

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i think the gold ones are gross, but id probably end up getting the sport band, having said i would be able to switch out to all of the other bands.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Black Space with black classic buckle.

If I understand correctly, they're interchangeable so I also plan on getting the Link Bracelet for night stuff and a white band for gym :D

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
Sport too. I'm guessing it will be $50 or $100 more than the other. But I may well buy more than one strap.

Gold? No thanks. Not at any price.

The sport looks like it could be the cheapest, the display is not sapphire according to Apple's website on that version.

I thought sapphire would be more expense than strengthened glass?

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I would think about it however I need a watch for a left handed person. I wear watches on my right hand.

This is something I also noticed, and also need as I'm a lefty. Not a big deal as I'd never give up wearing one of my Rolexes, but I was at least thinking about picking one of these up to play around with. Can't believe apple didn't think of this when designing though.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I'm on the fence about getting a watch that will be obsolete in a couple years. However, I think the rose gold one is pretty:
rose_gold_gray_hero_large_2x.jpg

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The sport looks like it could be the cheapest, the display is not sapphire according to Apple's website on that version.

I thought sapphire would be more expense than strengthened glass?

I'm going on the fact that it's listed between the steel and gold, and that it's a special lighter and stronger version (also the reason for the non-saphire.)

It weighs less and is more rugged, so I'm guessing it costs more.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
This is something I also noticed, and also need as I'm a lefty. Not a big deal as I'd never give up wearing one of my Rolexes, but I was at least thinking about picking one of these up to play around with. Can't believe apple didn't think of this when designing though.

The display flips over, so you can wear it on your right arm with the crown on the left side.

rengb6

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
If I decide to get version 1 I'll order the 38mm rose gold with a navy leather band...as long as it's under 2K. Anything over 2K and I might as well save up for a Cartier or JLC.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
You know, when the iPhone first came out, I don't think there was a person on this forum who didn't want one (albeit I wasn't following this at the time).

With this Apple Watch, it's a different story. I would hope Apple went into a product category with a really innovative solution. What they have is a tiny screen that they use a wheel on the side to scroll in -- how innovative, like the classroom projectors of the 70s.

And all that 'no content is obstructed' is ruined as soon as you use a swipe to navigate it. Apple have hyped this so much, and ended up creating a Galaxy Gear in nice packaging. They went with the 'watch' idea and were so consumed that they didn't do what Apple should -- create something nobody expected and everyone wanted.

Poor show.

I have to tell you,you're wrong in your assumption. Most thought that the iPhone was awful, focusing on its weaknesses. The iPad was even worse anyone who professed to want the iPad was called a fanboy or isheep. Shockingly the same is even true with the iPod. No matter what Apple had released today most will call it lame. I don't expect the :apple: watch to be as successful as any of the above three products. But I do think it will be successful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.