Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlandrigan

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2002
As far as film EOS models go, grab a used 7 or 7e. The A2/A2e/5 models are great, and what I use, but there is an issue with the command dial(it could break, just a bad design) that would make it a bad used buy unless you get one real cheap. The Elan II/IIe/55 is also a good buy.

That said, if you do get a good deal on an A2, it's a sweetheart of a camera:)

rlandrigan

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2002
Didn't the Elan bodies use IR to find the film sprockets? I seem to recall at least a few Canon film bodies being IR-unfriendly from an IR LED...

Every EOS body, except the 620, 630, and 650 use IR LEDs to sense sprocket position. It'll play merry havoc with HIE, but the other IR films tend to only be fogged on the sprockets themselves, so are usable with caution.

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
You need a 7N.

Mirror lockup.
Wheel on the back.

While I have a 30D, I often take my 35mm into difficult situations and have scans done rather than prints.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
You need a 7N.

Mirror lockup.
Wheel on the back.

While I have a 30D, I often take my 35mm into difficult situations and have scans done rather than prints.

Having shot about 12 rolls with my Rebel 2000 this past week, I've once again been drooling over an Elan 7*. Mostly the 7n(e) this time around, but maybe I can found a cheap 7(e) on eBay for myself... :D

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Every EOS body, except the 620, 630, and 650 use IR LEDs to sense sprocket position. It'll play merry havoc with HIE, but the other IR films tend to only be fogged on the sprockets themselves, so are usable with caution.

Are you sure about the A2...? I seem to remember it did not have IR leds, and was able to be used with IR film no problem... I'll have to check this out, since I used one for years and never shot IR film with it, but I think my memory serves me correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.