Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
If you don’t need the the extra bandwidth of the Thunderbolt enclosure then picking up a usb c to display port adapter is far more cost effective or even a hub/dock to go alongside it. I have one of my displays connected via usb c to hdmi and it works perfectly. You can get these cables pretty cheap. The one I’ll link below is only $18. That’ll save you around $500 over going with the OWC, if the DisplayPort was the selling point for you.

You do not need adapters for 2.5” drives. It’s designed in a matter to accommodate either.

I am about to order and tried to double check that the DS-SC4B really takes both 3.5" HDDs as well as 2.5" SSDs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any definitive information on that. In fact the only info I found (in some YouTube comments...) was that it does NOT accept 2.5" drives. So just to confirm, you are sure that 2.5" drives work and don't even need an adapter? Thanks!

Waynebru

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2022
To save yourself a bit of money and space I would recommend a 4 bay usb c 3.2 enclosure. Your HDDs and 1 SSD will not saturate the 10GB bandwidth unless you have high performance drives that deliver over 180ish mb/s,Plus a 2 bay usb c enclosure which will give you enough bandwidth for the last 2. This will save you on the Thunderbolt tax. I’ll link the 4 bay I use. Words of wisdom if you buy it. Use the usb c cable, not the usb c to a cable. The latter is what causes most peoples issues with this enclosure.

I just took delivery of a Sabrent 4 bay dock. Amazon lists it as 3.2, but the box says 3.1 Gen 2. Is that the same thing?

covrc

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
To save yourself a bit of money and space I would recommend a 4 bay usb c 3.2 enclosure. Your HDDs and 1 SSD will not saturate the 10GB bandwidth unless you have high performance drives that deliver over 180ish mb/s,Plus a 2 bay usb c enclosure which will give you enough bandwidth for the last 2. This will save you on the Thunderbolt tax. I’ll link the 4 bay I use. Words of wisdom if you buy it. Use the usb c cable, not the usb c to a cable. The latter is what causes most peoples issues with this enclosure.

Thanks for the reply. what does this mean? " Use the usb c cable, not the usb c to a cable. The latter is what causes most peoples issues with this enclosure."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.