Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wulfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Thank you everyone for your input. As much as I want the new shiny.. I cannot justify it.
So I have downloaded the app to let me know when refurb stock is in and hopefully will find something there. :) Yay for money saving!

Reactions: Toltepeceno

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have an 32 gb Air 1. The screen is pretty cracked (yay to my hubby letting my 2yo jump on it one day when I wasn't home).. and it has issues charging (have to connect the cable 10+ times for it to start charging, and then I pray to the apple gods that it actually completes charging and doesn't stop in the middle of the night).

So, I waited with anticipation for the March announcement.

Anyways, like a lot of people, I groan at the price increase. I'm in Canada, so yeah, it just got a LOT more expensive for me ($999 for 128gb, $799 for 32gb).

So now I'm going back and debating getting an Air2. I know it's still a big upgrade from the 1 - but it's 16 months old now. But it's a lot cheaper ($640 for the 64gb which is still available locally).

Right now, I am crying for space - but I don't need 128 - that's overkill. 64 would have been perfect, for price and on my wallet - if that was available, it wouldn't be quite such a tough decision.

Pencil.. I would never use. Keyboard - I have a bluetooth one when I want.
The good things: speakers & camera... And while 128 is way overkill for what I actually NEED ... I would not lack storage ever again. Also, this will probably be my last ipad for many years, so the pro would be a lot more "future proof" while the Air 2 is already 16 months old.

But.. Air 2: Way cheaper. The additional RAM is still a big improvement on the original Air. 64gb gives me twice the space I have now.

For usage: I watch netflix, I watch tv, I play some games (hearthstone chews up 1gb all by itself..but most of my other games are little fb type games and don't eat up too much ram or anything else). I surf the web (darn those tab refreshes!) and am on IRC through it.

So yes, the Pro is probably overkill for what I use it for. But.. it's new and shiny. But expensive.
Now that it has been revealed that the 9.7 Pro has 2GB RAM, the decision should become easier.

The Air 2 is a great tablet. I have the 128GB model but Apple has discontinued it on their site so if you are interested in that you might need to visit the local Apple store or other iPad retailer.

The 64GB model will be plenty of space. As for being "future proof", the general consensus is that the Air 2 is the next long-term model (similar in expected longevity as the iPad 2). Having owned an Air 2 for 5 months, I agree.

There are plenty of great keyboard cover/case options for the Air 2 that are all much less expensive than the official smart keyboard for the Pro.

I was considering a Pro for the Pencil support, but I have a current solution for my Air 2 that works very well for me.

I'd recommend the Air 2 over the 9.7 Pro.

Reactions: wulfin

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Glad I read this topic, I am glad the Pro 9.7 has 2GB RAM, means my Air 2 64GB LTE will be in action for a very long time :D

I would also suggest the Air 2 64GB, hope you find a nice refurbished one. :)

Psychobueller

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I am in a similar situation. I have a 64gb iPad Air 1 that I'm giving to my son. Was planning on upgrading to an iPad Air 3 128gb. Now I'm totally confused. But thinking the Air 2 64 will have to work. With no ram upgrade I don't see where the Pro is worth it. I was thinking the speakers, but I mostly use earphones when watching shows. Ugh, I am so disappointed that they raised the price. This is the first time I feel like this.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I am in a similar situation. I have a 64gb iPad Air 1 that I'm giving to my son. Was planning on upgrading to an iPad Air 3 128gb. Now I'm totally confused. But thinking the Air 2 64 will have to work. With no ram upgrade I don't see where the Pro is worth it. I was thinking the speakers, but I mostly use earphones when watching shows. Ugh, I am so disappointed that they raised the price. This is the first time I feel like this.
Why? There's been a huge price drop on the Air 2, and it's selling for the same price as the Mini 4.
Now's as good a time as any to buy an Air 2.

Reactions: sracer

wulfin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Calgary, AB
Here's a bizarro question.

With Apple discontinuing the 128 air 2... What happens to any they had in stock at local stores?

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I sold my ipad 3 some weeks ago with the anticipation of getting the new Ipad.. Now is not only the higher price but also still the same ram as the Air 2 that’s changed my mind. I couldn’t care less about the pen support and speakers... I dont think the higher price is justified. I’ll probably get the Air 2

Reactions: wulfin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.