Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
UPPERCASE is a very good option. I use it on my work Mac. For my personal Mac I use the Apple leather sleeve. Pricy but nice.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I have the Amazon Basics 13.3" sleeve: it's fine, and an absolute bargain, but a bit bigger than it needs to be for the MacBook Air.
How much bigger? On the edges or do you mean just thickness?

I bought a super simple zipper sleeve a few years ago for like $10 at a local store; but I'd like something closer to the size of the Air. My sleeve has like an inch extra length and also width.

The Amazon Basics looks really nice.

Do you have any problems with scratching? Someone on the Amazon reviews says the zipper pull and zipper itself is scratching their metal Dell.

Mechanism

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
How much bigger? On the edges or do you mean just thickness?

I bought a super simple zipper sleeve a few years ago for like $10 at a local store; but I'd like something closer to the size of the Air. My sleeve has like an inch extra length and also width.

The Amazon Basics looks really nice.

Do you have any problems with scratching? Someone on the Amazon reviews says the zipper pull and zipper itself is scratching their metal Dell.
I would say it could be 25mm less in width and maybe 10mm less in length; thickness is probably about right. When it's closed, you can fold over about an inch (just to mix units) in the width direction. Protection from the zip seems OK to me but someone else might worry more about that kind of thing. If I knew that the Incase Icon sleeve fitted snugly that might be tempting but it is £60 vs £7.

Here are some not-very-useful photos:
_DSF0156_annotated.jpg

_DSF0154.jpg

Reactions: MK500

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I would say it could be 25mm less in width and maybe 10mm less in length; thickness is probably about right. When it's closed, you can fold over about an inch (just to mix units) in the width direction. Protection from the zip seems OK to me but someone else might worry more about that kind of thing. If I knew that the Incase Icon sleeve fitted snugly that might be tempting but it is £60 vs £7.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the details; and I’m sure others will as well.

I also think it’s quite ridiculous these cases cost so much. Around $10 is a sensible prize for a sleeve from my perspective. But like purses, I get that it’s a “brand” and “style” type thing, and respect that people want what they want. I have a thing for those Twelve South BookArc aluminum stands; which are basically a hunk of aluminum and a tiny rubber gasket for $60, so who am I to judge!

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I just got my TomToc from Amazon a day ago. It's great, and was a hair less than $20!
I've been thinking of buying these but I heard that the inner material which has bubbles scratch the MacBook! Is this true? I think Tomtoc seems like it gives really good protection and is cheap!

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I’m going to use my old Nedrelow :)

This looks really good but I don't know how protective this would be?

sky87

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2015
I'm reusing sleeves I already had for my 2018 13" MBP for my M1 MBA.

The one I really like is the Incase sleeve in flight nylon (not sure what the exact name for it is but it's sold in the Apple store), which feels really plush - the downside of this though is the zipper which I'm always a bit worried will cause scratches!

The other one is a cheap Mosiso case from Amazon, which is about OK for bringing around, but doesn't feel anywhere near as nice as the Incase sleeve.

Also ordered a Bodyguardz skin for the M1 MBA!

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I've been thinking of buying these but I heard that the inner material which has bubbles scratch the MacBook! Is this true? I think Tomtoc seems like it gives really good protection and is cheap!
I haven’t used it all that much, but so far so good. The bubbles are there I think to better hold the laptop in place with some additional pressure, but not too much pressure (hence the bubbles).

The inner material, bubbles in all, is a very soft microfiber material, so I wouldn’t think it would be able to scratch unless you happen to get some dirt into it. I am super fastidious (almost to the point of OCD) about keeping my laptop clean, so I don’t think I’ll have any issues with getting any contaminants in the sleeve along with my MBA.

Let us know what you ultimately settle on.

lokka

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2020
I haven’t used it all that much, but so far so good. The bubbles are there I think to better hold the laptop in place with some additional pressure, but not too much pressure (hence the bubbles).

The inner material, bubbles in all, is a very soft microfiber material, so I wouldn’t think it would be able to scratch unless you happen to get some dirt into it. I am super fastidious (almost to the point of OCD) about keeping my laptop clean, so I don’t think I’ll have any issues with getting any contaminants in the sleeve along with my MBA.

Let us know what you ultimately settle on.
Thanks I'm thinking of TomToc to be honest only coz of the protective factor and also the cost. It's a really good bargain I think! It's hard to find mane good covers that offer some good protection for MacBooks :(

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC

For whatever reason they raised the price from what I paid $25.98 (29.98 minus $4.50 coupon). I really like it so far, it's a little snug but not too tight.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My Woolnut leather sleeve should be here on Thursday (10 day wait) It is expensive but a top tier sleeve. And even though I have no real need to go mobile with my M1 right now, I will feel better having it on hand for safe storage around the house, if nothing else.

Reactions: TotalMacMove

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
My Woolnut leather sleeve should be here on Thursday (10 day wait) It is expensive but a top tier sleeve. And even though I have no real need to go mobile with my M1 right now, I will feel better having it on hand for safe storage around the house, if nothing else.

Ordered the same.

Was looking at the nomad sleeve and OEM apple, but $200 is ridiculous.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ordered the same.

Was looking at the nomad sleeve and OEM apple, but $200 is ridiculous.
Heads up on the Woolnut sleeve in case you have never used it before. It is a very snug fit to begin with and slowly loosens up, so that it is easier to remove the MB from the sleeve.

In my opinion, what Apple charges for their sleeve is ridiculous, compared to what Woolnut offers.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Heads up on the Woolnut sleeve in case you have never used it before. It is a very snug fit to begin with and slowly loosens up, so that it is easier to remove the MB from the sleeve.

In my opinion, what Apple charges for their sleeve is ridiculous, compared to what Woolnut offers.

Appreciate the heads up, I read through some reviews before hand!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I had this case for my 12" macbook retina and it served me really well as a firm surface to have the computer rest upon. I liked that convenience for when I am sitting on the couch or bed. There was no floppy sleeve to toss to the side when I use my computer in those situations. The bookbook is firm so it was like a little desk. Add to that the design, it has been a pleasure to use, even though it adds weight and thickness to the form factor.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Woolnut sleeve for my macbook air. It feels good, but not as good as my harber london deep brown sleeve for my iPad. Here is a picture comparing the color to the iPad sleeve and the SB wallet.

Attachments

• 7BE3A193-44C5-4050-8E57-FFD56642FF5A.jpeg
    7BE3A193-44C5-4050-8E57-FFD56642FF5A.jpeg
    831.6 KB · Views: 137
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.