Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The 70-200 is an absolutely superb lens. Its contrast, sharpness, and resolution will all beat the 70-300 99% of the time. It has a constant f/4 aperture, great build quality, and no extension when it zooms or focuses. It white in color, which attracts a lot of attention, both from thieves and other shutterbugs.

The 70-300 reaches 100mm further, but gives up some image quality in the process. It's a touch slower, but IS makes up for that if you're capturing a relatively still scene. The 70-300 @ 200mm has a max aperture of f/5.0, which is 2/3 of a stop slower than f/4. It's a more inconspicuous color (black), which may be a plus for you.

It basically boils down to whether or not you need the extra 100mm of reach, need the IS, or want a lens that won't attract a lot of attention.

nismo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Now without the IS, do I have to use a tripod or can I not use a tripod? The only time i'd be using without a tripod would be in the daytime with light.

JNB

macrumors 604
Now without the IS, do I have to use a tripod or can I not use a tripod? The only time i'd be using without a tripod would be in the daytime with light.

You shouldn't require a tripod unless you're at the outer limits of the focal range, using a slow shutter, or some combination that will allow your body motion to be recorded in the shot. Or if you're drunk, in which case it's best not to even pick the thing up. Pretty much anytime you can get a shutter speed above 1/60 or so (which will include 100% of your daytime shots if you let the camera autoselect the appropriate speed), you shouldn't notice much, if any, jitter. Play with it in different settings, find out what your "steady" range is handheld.

One thing to remember about tripods - if you're going to get one, don't cheap out on something that a breeze will knock over. You don't need to spend several hundred dollars, but you should plan on more than twenty. It needs to support the weight of everything withour drooping or shaking on it's own, and provide a stable base.

Another thought. With the 70-200 f/4, one reason it's so affordable (a relative concept, if there ever was one) is they do NOT include a lens collar. Canon's price for one is about $150. You can get one from eBay here for around $40 plus shipping (eBay Store Link Delight. They're really OK. Just search for Canon 70-200 lens collar). I just did recently, and it's great. Compared to the OEM unit, I can't discern any difference.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Spend a little more and either get the 70-200 f4L IS or get the 2.8L

While the 70-200 f4L is a nice piece of glass, I have found it a little slow for anything other than day scenery unless you're on a tripod.

L glass all the way.

JNB

macrumors 604
Spend a little more and either get the 70-200 f4L IS or get the 2.8L

While the 70-200 f4L is a nice piece of glass, I have found it a little slow for anything other than day scenery unless you're on a tripod.

L glass all the way.

A little? 70-200 L glass prices (approximate, but you get the idea)

f/4: $550
f/4 IS: $1000
f/2.8: $1150
f/2.8 IS: $1600

I agree on the desirability of the faster and/or stabilized lenses, but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for it. :D

nismo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
My last question, whats the huge difference in the IS and this one? Why need it?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My last question, whats the huge difference in the IS and this one? Why need it?

The IS one has IS. That's it. If you are shooting a lot of handheld stuff and the targets are not moving (or perhaps if you are panning) then IS can be helpful, otherwise it's just extra weight to carry. If you are shooting off a tripod then you don't need IS.

JNB

macrumors 604
Is this a legit place to order from?

http://www.quest4cameras.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3144735&l=Froogle

Any better deals from a legit place?

WHOIS returns an interesting tidbit on the website:
Updated Date: 01-may-2007
Creation Date: 01-may-2007
Expiration Date: 01-may-2010

Yet they claim 29 years experience bringing the best prices. Too busy to get on the web? Customer Service phone numbers have also been in use for quite a while for Brooklyn storefront operations. Ick. Walk away...

B&H, Cameta, Adorama have all been recommended by other forum members. If you purchase through Amazon that will likely return one or more of those as the merchant. The "best price" is rarely really that. Pay a few bucks more, in the range that most vendors are charging. The guy that undercuts everyone generally is up to no good in this business.

If you get an email from a vendor telling you to contact them about your order, watch out. Just call them and IMMEDIATELY cancel the order.

nismo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Yeah I didn't think the site was very legit, so I went a different way.

I'm getting as a x-mas present and I gave the amazon and B&H link.

JNB

macrumors 604
I own the 70-200 f/2.8L and it came with a tripod collar. I don't know how heavy this particular lens is and whether you need it, but you may consider buying the collar as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478561-REG/Canon_1694B001_Tripod_Mount_Ring_A_2.html

I'm sure someone that has/does own this lens can chime in on this.

From my previous post on this...

Another thought. With the 70-200 f/4, one reason it's so affordable (a relative concept, if there ever was one) is they do NOT include a lens collar. Canon's price for one is about $150. You can get one from eBay here for around $40 plus shipping (eBay Store Link Delight. They're really OK). I just did recently, and it's great. Compared to the OEM unit, I can't discern any difference.

JNB

macrumors 604
If you have a sturdy tripod, this is probably true. I still would be nervous about that much torque on the lens mount, though.

About 1.5 pounds cantilevered well ahead of the mount point without the collar. Plus, with the 1.4x Extender in my case, even more hanging out there. A fair amount of torque against the tripod head too, excessive if you use a $30 Velbon or something like that. The 40 bucks I spent on the ring is good piece of mind.

nismo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I can't find the canon lens mount on ebay, I followed your link but nothing came up.

waveslider

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I'd try it without the mount first,

I don't have one on mine and I've never felt the need for one and I sometimes use it with a 1.4x extender.

You will not be disappointed with this lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.