Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
It depends on your photography: UW photography is difficult since `there is always stuff' in your images you don't want to have and the effect gets old really fast. I'd probably get a portrait lens.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I think you could pick up a 17-35 mint for $300-400 less than the 14-24, but that's only if money is a factor. One thing I do like about the 17-35 is it's non-G. I like the aperture ring, and ability to go back and use film bodies, and no built-in AF motor to break (and I've had two lenses that had AF motor failures (one a Canon, one Nikon.)

The 17-35 does have a built-in motor, as despite being a non-G lens, it is still an AF-S lens. Moreover, it is known to develop a squeaking noise that may/may not go away and may contribute to AF motor failure.

re. the 200mm etc suggestion: it was a joke. He seems out to spend €£$ rather than meet a specific photography need.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
re. the 200mm etc suggestion: it was a joke. He seems out to spend €£$ rather than meet a specific photography need.

No, I'm out to meet a niche photography need, I have funds coming in (profits from photography sales) and I'm grappling with which niche I should address first. Thanks for the nice words though :mad:

SLC

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
No, I'm out to meet a niche photography need, I have funds coming in (profits from photography sales) and I'm grappling with which niche I should address first. Thanks for the nice words though :mad:

SLC

I was just joking, man. Don't take it personally. I like spending money on much less useful things.

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I am looking for a 35mm 1.4f - but I do lust after the 14-24mm but would want full frame as well.

zipelius

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I have Sigma 50/1.4, Canon 24-105/4L, Canon 135/2L. My next lens is Canon 15/2.8 FishEye :eek: Just order it!

My next lens... hmmm... maybe i buy Canon 1.4x so then my 135/2 --> 190/2.8 :rolleyes:

Leafminer

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Michigan
You really haven't specified what is most important to you other than filling some niche areas. That above all else should be factoring into anyone's decision above focal length overlaps, etc, etc.

Personally, although the 14-24 has an excellent reputation, I would want it for landscapes. And for landscapes, I consider the ability to use a polarizer essential because it is one filter you cannot duplicate the effects in post. So that makes it a deal killer for me. I already own the 17-35 anyway. ;)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
You really haven't specified what is most important to you other than filling some niche areas. That above all else should be factoring into anyone's decision above focal length overlaps, etc, etc.

Really, there have been more than a few shots lately that I have taken for a project I'm working on that could have benefitted from a wider lens, that project will run through the end of the year. The portrait lens would just provide a nice specialty lens for some other work my wife and I do. I think that I could get some good use (maybe not a ton of use, but good use) out of either lens. It's merely a matter of priority at this point.

Personally, although the 14-24 has an excellent reputation, I would want it for landscapes. And for landscapes, I consider the ability to use a polarizer essential because it is one filter you cannot duplicate the effects in post. So that makes it a deal killer for me. I already own the 17-35 anyway. ;)

That's why I mention the 17-35. I would probably want to retain the ability to use filters as well. Though I have seen some clever work arounds with the 14-24.

SLC

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Really, there have been more than a few shots lately that I have taken for a project I'm working on that could have benefitted from a wider lens, that project will run through the end of the year. The portrait lens would just provide a nice specialty lens for some other work my wife and I do. I think that I could get some good use (maybe not a ton of use, but good use) out of either lens. It's merely a matter of priority at this point.

It's such an odd question, since only you can answer it. How should we know what your priorities are?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It's such an odd question, since only you can answer it. How should we know what your priorities are?

I'm not asking anyone to answer it for me, just asking what other people would do and why so I can factor some of that into my decision.

I'll make the final decision when the time comes, make no mistake about that.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.