Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I wouldn't get 14 MBP unless you really need that power on the go. The notebook is too expensive and honestly still not that great (compared to 16").
By your description it sounds that you are ok with the MBA so why not just keep it?
Adding Mini is probably sensible here as otherwise you would already have something different if you really needed it.
People often buy stuff out of desire/lust but not actual need which is why the confusion happens about which model to get.
What I often do if I am on the fence is to use Apple's 14 days return policy. I get the bare minimum machine that I think is not enough and I test it with my workflow. (M2 Pro in this case) By doing so I realise that I actually don't need more stuff but the base is just fine (for the purpose of the machine). So if anyone is on the fence, just get the lower spec model and test it in your environment. That is the best way to decide what you actually need.

And for crying out loud, don't worry about bloody future proofing nonsense. :)
I think you hit the nail on the head there and is at the core issue of my indecision/frustration. It is definitely more of a want than a need for me. Took a while for me to admit it. I tried to find weaknesses and deficiencies in the M1 MBA but it really does handle everything that I ask of it, and does so quite well.

I was gonna wait to see what the rumored 15" MBA looks like but I think a near base M2 Pro Mini may be the perfect complement to my much loved M1 MBA.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Freida

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
General statement works in 99% of cases. If you currently need 450gb and you are not planning to delete stuff then you know that you need bigger SSD as with time you accumulate more pics etc.
On the other hand, if you plan to delete stuff and be cautious (or use external) then you don't need bigger.
Planning ahead works in case you know your needs will change. However, the older you get the more you know about your habbits or desires so the more you know what you need and will need.
Unless you pick up new hobby your needs won't change much and you know that info ahead of time. Also, in 3-5 years the tech will advance much further as right now we are on a beginning of a new era. AS will unlock tons of great stuff so future proofing now is borderline stupid :)

As for my needs you mentioned. No, I couldn't have less powerful machine at work as that would mean I would miss deliveries for clients. So there its a no brainer.

For home usage, I can get by with a different product. I know my needs and I know whats needed.
In your case, you just paid $270 to 'comfort' yourself but we both know that it was a want/desire than need. The older I get the more I go by need and not desire as desire gets me nowhere. Its literally just burning money that could be invested elsewhere.

Again, you are making a general statement on future proofing, without thinking beyond what one currently needs.

This is an extreme example, but if I currently need 450GB of storage, should I get the base model, because I will not currently using over 512GB?

Probably not a good idea.

What one needs right now, may not be what they need tomorrow. Nothing wrong with planning ahead.

I get what you are saying, but you are trying to provide a simple solution to a complex problem.

What "need" means to someone is very subjective. Many people don't need a new Mac. They could continue using a 10 year old Mac, as it gets the job done.

You said yourself, you "need" all the power you can get when working 3D, but I bet if your rig was less powerful, you could probably still get the job done. It might take more time with a slightly slower set up, but "need" might be an exaggeration.

The same could be said for many Mac users.

Mardiel8128

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2023
Again, you are making a general statement on future proofing, without thinking beyond what one currently needs.

This is an extreme example, but if I currently need 450GB of storage, should I get the base model, because I will not currently using over 512GB?

Probably not a good idea.

What one needs right now, may not be what they need tomorrow. Nothing wrong with planning ahead.

I get what you are saying, but you are trying to provide a simple solution to a complex problem.

What "need" means to someone is very subjective. Many people don't need a new Mac. They could continue using a 10 year old Mac, as it gets the job done.

You said yourself, you "need" all the power you can get when working 3D, but I bet if your rig was less powerful, you could probably still get the job done. It might take more time with a slightly slower set up, but "need" might be an exaggeration.

The same could be said for many Mac users.
Hello, when you talk about future proof it is because you want to sell it later os last as it can be?

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Paying for something that you won't need is useless.
Same goes for your future proof examples. The only reason to upgrade is when one KNOWS that their needs will change in the near future - otherwise its wasted money.

Living under the umbrella of 'feel good about my upgrade' is not enough to justify that. I've seen tons of people wasting so much money for something they don't need even if its cheap.

In your case, I could argue that even that $270 could be used better and not for some form of 'potential'.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for power and when I do 3D etc. I need every bit of it. (luckily work provides render farm). So, I set my devices for my needs and my needs only. No extra expense is spared as that would cost me more in the long run. $270 today will be worth maybe $400 in those 5 years so in your case I would rather buy almost 2 shares of APPLE and get some dividends with also possible growth (most likely) that would beat inflation and I would protect the money.

Advice is: don't spend more than you need. Simple as that

I l o v e spending money, 8 vs 12 core or 16 vs 32 GB, so be it 😇

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.