Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Alekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I am already going to purchase the C5's by Bowers & Wilkins I think. Advice anyone?:)

Never mind everybody . . . I'm not going to purchase the C5's or the Beats Pro. I am going to buy the P5's. I would **** on ANY earphones now plus any products from Monster+Dre.

Last edited:

King Alekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I don't get something. It's that B&W brags all about how the P5's have 'natural sound quality' and that they are 'extremely comfortable' but if they are as good as they make them sound then why are they so cheap? They are only $300! They say they have better sound quality then other brands, but I think this probably isn't true. The beats pro headphones are more expensive thus they must have superior sound quality! I don't know maybe my thinking is wrong, maybe the P5's do have better sound quality. I just DEFINITELY do not think that the P5's have better sound quality than the Sennheiser HD 800's for example which cost a crazy $1,800!! Or the Grado PS1000 headphones which cost pretty much the same thing. And I could still think of lots of other manufacturers too like Denon etc. I don't know but I'm getting way off topic here. Would someone who has listened to both headphones (P5 and Beats Pro) tell me which they like better? I listen to rap and I know that the Beats headphones are good for rap music among other genre's too. One of the things I would like to know is: which headphones does rap sound better on?

----------

What type of music do you listen to?
I listen to Rap, Rock and Pop mostly.

----------

There's one for P5.

----------

Does anyone think that Monster and Dr. Dre. will release a Beats Pro HD like they have the Solo HD's?

RadiDoc

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
I don't get something. It's that B&W brags all about how the P5's have 'natural sound quality' and that they are 'extremely comfortable' but if they are as good as they make them sound then why are they so cheap? They are only $300! They say they have better sound quality then other brands, but I think this probably isn't true. The beats pro headphones are more expensive thus they must have superior sound quality! I don't know maybe my thinking is wrong, maybe the P5's do have better sound quality. I just DEFINITELY do not think that the P5's have better sound quality than the Sennheiser HD 800's for example which cost a crazy $1,800!! Or the Grado PS1000 headphones which cost pretty much the same thing. And I could still think of lots of other manufacturers too like Denon etc. I don't know but I'm getting way off topic here. Would someone who has listened to both headphones (P5 and Beats Pro) tell me which they like better? I listen to rap and I know that the Beats headphones are good for rap music among other genre's too. One of the things I would like to know is: which headphones does rap sound better on?

----------

I listen to Rap, Rock and Pop mostly.

----------

There's one for P5.

----------

Does anyone think that Monster and Dr. Dre. will release a Beats Pro HD like they have the Solo HD's?

If you're an audiophile, they won't be your thing. If you value an overall balance of tones, they won't be your thing. If you love rap/hiphop, they are perfect. That's really all there is to it.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Anything but the Beats. Awful headphones from a horrible company.

I'm not a beats fanboy but would you mind backing that up? I hear people saying that beats are horrible headphones and yet when ever I read ratings they seem to get good reviews. Biggest problem shotty build quality and way overpriced but most say the sound isn't so bad especially if you listen to rap/hip-hop.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Anything but the Beats. Awful headphones from a horrible company.

Not true. They are actually pretty decent headphones, especially for hip hop and other bass heavy music. The thing that pulls them down is the price. If they we're about a third of the cost they would actually be recommendable (within the bass heavy genres of course). They also look a lot better than most headphones.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Monster sells $10 HDMI cables for $100, and they sell $30 headphones for $300, but $100 of that is JayZ markup, so they're probably closer to $20...

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
I'm not a beats fanboy but would you mind backing that up? I hear people saying that beats are horrible headphones and yet when ever I read ratings they seem to get good reviews. Biggest problem shotty build quality and way overpriced but most say the sound isn't so bad especially if you listen to rap/hip-hop.

Ok, perhaps I was a bit harsh. They're not terrible, just way overpriced. They sound good for a certain type of music, but are too bass reliant for other genres. I've not heard great things about build quality either, though that's only snippets I've read on the internet. In terms of looks, I actually think they look ok, but where I am, the kind of people that have them are the kind of pretentious hipsters that only wear A&F clothes, post 'vintage' pictures on Facebook from the polaroid app on their iPhones and so on.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
OMG!! NOOOO NOOO DONT GET THE BEATS!!

They are just a piece of crap… Overpriced and the sound quality is even lower than Bose headphones…! It's all about marketing...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
OMG!! NOOOO NOOO DONT GET THE BEATS!!

They are just a piece of crap… Overpriced and the sound quality is even lower than Bose headphones…! It's all about marketing...

They're overpriced but that doesn't mean they are bad.

King Alekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Really?! The sound quality is worse than Bose headphones?! I do not like the sound quality on Bose headphones. If that bit of information is true than I DEFINITELY do NOT want Beats headphones!!

----------

Thanks guys, I think I might get the P5's, I just wish I could try them both out first.

Last edited:

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
OP, save yourself some money and go for the Sennheiser HD25. Unless you are sensitive from high clamping force you will not regret the sound that these can reproduce. It trumps the p5. If sound is paramount to you there is no better option and these sound great even without an amp

...or the beyerdynamic DT1350's, but require amplification to sound their best.

King Alekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Actually, I wish I could own them both :)

----------

Do those have long cables? Because I don't like long cables. Also I have looked into Sennheiser before and I used to want a pair of their noise cancelling cans. But I don't want phones from them anymore. Also, I only want headphones that can plug into an ipod, I don't care how good they sound, if they can't plug into an ipod, I don't want them.

----------

Beyerdynamics have like 10 ft. cables don't they?

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
The HD25's cable length is 1.5 meters - fairly lengthy but the headphones themselves are extremely light and lighter than the P5's. It depends on what you value, but I personally feel the length the cable is a small compromise for hifi sound comparable to that of home cans.

The DT1350's is 1.3 meters or 1.5 can't quite remember.

King Alekay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I have looked at most of the headphone companies (if not all of them) and I just want to choose between B&W and Beats.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Are you only limiting yourself to these 2 headphones because you're more worried about "looks" above sound quality? :confused:

The Beats aren't good at all, whether you get the smaller or bigger version. The bass is deep, but the lows and mids are muffled. It's like listening to music underwater. I don't know the US price of the Beats by Dre, but in my opinion, they shouldn't cost more than $100. If you pay any more than that, you're paying way too much for what you get, even if you add a "I want to be trendy" tax to the price.

I listen to rap, and between the two options you have, I'd get the B&W P5. ;)

If you want something that looks awesome, and has a similar sound signature as the Beats (lots of bass, bad lows and mids), you may want to consider the Klipsch headphones.

klipsch-image-one-headphones.jpg

Oh, I have the Phiaton MS400s. They look AND sound good, and are cheaper . ;) The B&W P5 doesn't sound better or worse than my Phiaton, but definitely different.

109phia.jpg

Last edited:

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I have the Beats by Dre Tour and they sound good IMO. But in terms of quality construction and overall acoustics, I would suggest the P5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.