Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am looking for a screen protector for my new iPhone. I've heard the one Apple sells at their stores is the PIA-01 iPhone Crystal Film Set. I've used the ClearTouch protectors and like them and see they make one for the iPhone now.
My only concern is first, Is it necessary to have a screen protector? Next, do they in any way degrade the performance of the multi-touch screen? Most of all, if I get one what is a good brand to look at?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Apple's take on it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305705

However, there are some posts here from people using screen protectors and not having any problem.

From some of the testing I've seen, the surface is very tough. I'm not sure a protector will have the same feel when dragging your finger across, based on using my Palm T|X with the Palm branded protector. I've used my finger on it, though not much "dragging". Still, it doesn't feel as nice as the iPhone's surface. The Palm uses a pressure sensitive screen, not capacitive, so adding a protector doesn't affect it's sensitivity.

Depending on the material and thickness, it could affect the sensitivity of multi-touch. It might be subtle enough, that many might not notice or find it affects their usage.

I don't think there's much risk in trying one - you can always remove it.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
I am looking for a screen protector for my new iPhone. I've heard the one Apple sells at their stores is the PIA-01 iPhone Crystal Film Set. I've used the ClearTouch protectors and like them and see they make one for the iPhone now.
My only concern is first, Is it necessary to have a screen protector? Next, do they in any way degrade the performance of the multi-touch screen? Most of all, if I get one what is a good brand to look at?

I'm using the screen protecter that came with my case-mate case (from AT&T store). It only covers the viewing portion of th glass face (and has their company logo on it). Will be getting a better (full glass coverage) soon as i get up to the Apple store this week. I feal it is better protected in my pocket this way, with keys in pocket too, etc...

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
Based on PCWorld's test, I don't see the point of putting a protective film on the front. The film itself will be more prone to scratching than the iPhone's glass surface!

I'd be more interested in protecting the back and sides with a clear protective film. I'm hoping the guys at Invisible Shield will start offering their package without the front piece soon. I'm soooo close to ordering the iPhone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.