Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
The use of in-camera stabilization is not as effective as in-lens stabilization, particularly with longer focal length lenses. This is why Canon and Nikon chose to go with IS in their lenses and not their bodies.

In-lens stabilization is better than in-camera stabilization, but IS (Canon) or VR (Nikon) lenses are very expensive for someone looking at a starter DSLR. I can only speak from my experience...I can take blur-free pictures with a shutter speed of 1/10 sec. when not using a tripod. Since the K100 has the same in-camera mechanism as my K10, I would expect comparable results. That isn't bad for a starter DSLR with a kit lens that costs only a little more than the cheapest IS or VR lens.

huntca

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
Has anyone had experiences with these or recommend the best one?

Definitely Canon, but that's my opinion. The bodies come and go, but the lenses last forever so you have to buy into the system with the best lenses and that's Canon ;) You'll find the same amount of people telling you to get Nikon (just don't listen to them).

Get the best body you can afford and remember it's just temporary anyway. Worse case scenario you can sell it off (with little loss) and buy a better one when you have the money.

The kit lens is fine, but I'd forget about it and just get the 50 f/1.4 and shoot with that until you have the money to expand your lens collection. You can keep the 50 f/1.4 forever, but you'll quickly tire of the kit lens.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Definitely Canon, but that's my opinion. The bodies come and go, but the lenses last forever so you have to buy into the system with the best lenses and that's Canon ;) You'll find the same amount of people telling you to get Nikon (just don't listen to them).

Get the best body you can afford and remember it's just temporary anyway. Worse case scenario you can sell it off (with little loss) and buy a better one when you have the money.

The kit lens is fine, but I'd forget about it and just get the 50 f/1.4 and shoot with that until you have the money to expand your lens collection. You can keep the 50 f/1.4 forever, but you'll quickly tire of the kit lens.

I personally perfer Nikon over canon, I donno wth the guy is talking about not listening to nikon users. you should listen to everyone, then make an opinion based on your own judgment of the facts and opinions presented.

don't listen to them? go back to where you came from mister fud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.