Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
First thing I did was check for backlight bleed on mine.

None. Absolutely zero.

There are colorshifts along the corners that goes away when I move further from the screen, but other than that the screen is gorgeous.

Don't be afraid to check yours and definitely return it if it exhibits backlight bleed. The way the panel is fused with the top assembly should mean zero blb, and if it exists it could mean faulty assembly.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
First thing I did was check for backlight bleed on mine.

None. Absolutely zero.

There are colorshifts along the corners that goes away when I move further from the screen, but other than that the screen is gorgeous.

Don't be afraid to check yours and definitely return it if it exhibits backlight bleed. The way the panel is fused with the top assembly should mean zero blb, and if it exists it could mean faulty assembly.

mine is perfect but got like 2 mm backlight bleed but cant b seen at times everywhere else beautifil

do i risk it

Agenesis

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
mine is perfect but got like 2 mm backlight bleed but cant b seen at times everywhere else beautifil

do i risk it
It would bother me for as long as I own the machine. Do whatever you think it makes you happy. You can contact apple via chat for a return label.

Reactions: ruslan120

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
It would bother me for as long as I own the machine. Do whatever you think it makes you happy. You can contact apple via chat for a return label.

yh im keeping this they said they will send a replacement once i get that ill send old one back

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The good thing is that replacement parts aren't available yet, so they'll most likely give you a new one until sometime in September.

sennomulo

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
Just picked up a brand new 15" MBP this morning. Checked for blacklight bleed and I see zero.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2016
The good thing is that replacement parts aren't available yet, so they'll most likely give you a new one until sometime in September.

yes they are

they are going to send a new one while i use this one and then when i recieve new one ill send old one back

fingers crossed new one is ok

oif i posted a pic u guys would laff at me but im over the top i know

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
No bleed here, but oh my why would you want to turn it up to max brightness. Just tried it and I'm not sure if I have a tan now or burnt retina oh my does it go bright. :eek:

sennomulo

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
No bleed here, but oh my why would you want to turn it up to max brightness. Just tried it and I'm not sure if I have a tan now or burnt retina oh my does it go bright. :eek:
It's nice to have a super bright display when you're using the computer outside or exploring a dark cave in Minecraft. But wow, you're right, this thing is absurdly bright at the max setting. At least my retinas are scarred with TrueTone.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Screens looks fine to me on both my windows and Mac laptops. I really don't care what they look like in a dark room with no external lighting, because that is not my working environment.
I agree with this. I don't see any backlight bleed on my MacBook Pro, and even if I did, if I am starting at a black screen with no lights on around me, I am likely possessed... in short, if there is any backlight bleed it isn't enough to stress me out. This comes from a guy who is nit-picky on details in general, so significant light-bleed would bug me. IMO the MacBook Pros have the best screens, even without 4k resolution.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
One could only complain about backlight bleeds by not understanding the technology behind TFT-LCD screens.

I wouldn’t except anything else from the average Joe on MacRumors, yet this topic has been discussed many times on the Forum ;)

Reactions: SDColorado

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
One could only complain about backlight bleeds by not understanding the technology behind TFT-LCD screens.

I wouldn’t except anything else from the average Joe on MacRumors, yet this topic has been discussed many times on the Forum ;)

You don’t need to understand the technology if some panels exhibit backlight bleed and some don’t...you will see it. Simply accepting that backlight bleed is normal with these types of panels is wrong IMHO. But an average Joe will just accept it, unfortunately.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
You don’t need to understand the technology if some panels exhibit backlight bleed and some don’t...you will see it. Simply accepting that backlight bleed is normal with these types of panels is wrong IMHO. But an average Joe will just accept it, unfortunately.
Or the average Joe might realize that life is too short to be worrying about a small amount of light bleed on a computer that will only last 1/20 of the their adult lifetime...

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Or the average Joe might realize that life is too short to be worrying about a small amount of light bleed on a computer that will only last 1/20 of the their adult lifetime...

Life only seems longer when watching a dark scene in a movie and you see a brighter patch of light in the corner or corners of your screen.

For movie buffs like me and a user of Apple laptops, it's not even an excuse.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Life only seems longer when watching a dark scene in a movie and you see a brighter patch of light in the corner or corners of your screen.

For movie buffs like me and a user of Apple laptops, it's not even an excuse.
I’m a user of a MacBook Pro myself, but I bought it for photo-editing and other personal uses, but not really for watching movies. I can see how it’d annoy some movie buffs, but ultimately unless it’s severe it’s something I myself have come to get used to ok LCD and LED monitors in general. It’s too stressful trying to return and setup different machines until you get lucky with a perfect one for it to be worthwhile IMO.

FineFuturity

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
MA, United States
Mine barely has any, but *definitely* exchange yours for another if it has it. I really believe Apple has gotten it right with the 2018s -- it's truly a beautiful display.

Toyoverland

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2018
upload_2018-12-26_2-2-33.jpeg

I bought it from B&H photo, can I take it to apple and they’ll supply a new one?

Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
That’s bad. Have you spoken with B&H to let them know you’re not happy? I thought they accepted exchanges and returns. That is clearly unacceptable.

A faulty device should be replaced at no cost. Ask them to send you a new one and accept this flawed unit back.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.