Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Going to wait and not pre-order an iPhone X?

• Yes, it may be great but it's a big purchase.

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • NEED NOW

Votes: 98 79.0%

• Total voters

hotdwag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
While the iPhone X has tons of hype, and maybe it's great, who else is holding off on a pre-ordering? I am quite wary of the general issues that surround new designs, and perhaps, rushed production? I personally can't drop tons of money on a product without looking at the reviews and having a hands-on experience with the device. I'm willing to risk having to wait months for a new device since I have a 6S that still functions fine... anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: apolloa

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
with a phone?
i'll buy this thing on day 1

with a computer, that my livelihood is partially reliant upon? i'll wait.. (like- i'm within what i believe to be the target market for an iMac Pro.. but i won't buy that thing on day 1.. or even within a few months of day 1)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yup I’m an “s” year guy myself. Come out with the new design then refine/improve it the following year and I’m on it. That’s why I don’t have any issues with the 8 series. It’s a proven design with improvements. That’s how it see it anyway.

I agree that the first iteration of a new phone is much sought after for obvious reasons, but it's much improved the following year. And it's the little improvements that make the big differences with internal specifications and added features and capabilities for the "S" variant.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I was totally against the thing from the start because of the notch and the price, but after thinking about it since the keynote, I am going to give it a shot because of the horrible luck I've had with the quality of Apple's other screens. I want to see if this is any different, so I will be preordering one. The way I see it is you have a 14 day return window, so what's the issue? Buy it and return it if you don't like it. Seems pretty simple.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Where's the option for NEED LATER?

I won't waste my time trying to pre-order. It's the Xiaomi online flash sales when being milliseconds late will affect your chances. Silly rat race for scalpers.

I will go to the Apple Store after 9pm on Nov 4th. Will have three of my phones, Vita, power bank, folding chair, snacks, and water in my backpack. My keys has the sim tray eject pin and most of my phones are unlocked, so draining battery on each phone is no big deal.

I can socialize with the people there which is easy like sharing laughs with an Uber driver or I can just bring my headphones and watch episodes of my fav shows. None of this Justin Wagoner iPhone 4 camping for a week stuff. I'm not that obsessed with X and don't want to lose money by not working.

X is not high on my priority list and have no urge to scalp it. If I already see like over 20-30+ people outside the Apple Store which is likely, then I will drive off and either go to sleep or catch a midnight showing of Thor Ragnarok.

Usually when you get in line, the #1 question is how many is in stock for pre-orders and then you count what # you are in line if you are a walk-in buyer. If the size is decent enough where I feel I have a chance (less than 10 people in line), I may just line up and socialize with the people there.

If I don't line up that night because like 20-50+ are already there once I arrive, then I will return the following morning where I will see multiple lines. Ones for pre-order, no pre-order which is around the block, and non-X purchases. The line for non-X will be the fastest way to enter. Been wanting an Apple Watch, so there is my reason to go inside.

I think the first week or two will be the worst. But it was similar to the iPhone 7 last year. The following weeks will have plenty in stock. Get to know the people who work at those stores to give you a heads up on the next shipments dates.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I'll wait for the Xs.....

I lean toward the fully baked 7/8 design and leave the 'wide field testing' of the X too....hmmm.... others.

I got a couple 8 Plus' for the wife and I, the Kid will 'suffer' with a 6s.....

Last edited:

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Where's the option for NEED LATER?

I won't waste my time trying to pre-order. It's the Xiaomi online flash sales when being milliseconds late will affect your chances. Silly rat race for scalpers.

I will go to the Apple Store after 9pm on Nov 4th. Will have three of my phones, Vita, power bank, folding chair, snacks, and water in my backpack. My keys has the sim tray eject pin and most of my phones are unlocked, so draining battery on each phone is no big deal.

You’re not willing to try pre-ordering from the comfort of your home but you have no problem standing in line for hours for a slim chance of getting an X? That makes no sense.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Gen 1 design of the X shouldn't be concerning compared to the first iPhone, iPhone 4, and iPhone 6 Plus.

iPhone - Had many flaws like only 128mb RAM, no flash, no front camera, no video recorder, no third party apps that first year, no copy and paste, no MMS, no 3G. Slow by iPhone OS3.

iPhone 4 - A4 that was fairly underpowered and last to offer single-core with a weak GPU that lagged playing Candy Crush and Subway Surfers by 2012-2013. Had Antennagate.

iPhone 6 Plus - A8 was also fairly underpowered and had to push 5.5" / 1080p with only 1gb RAM. Don't forget Bendgate and Touch Disease.

Only 3gb of RAM on the X but Apple barely added 3 last year on the 7 Plus. Think of it like a slightly better version of the 8 Plus in specs but closer to the size of the 8.

The X has 5.8" but is actually shorter than the S8 with same screen size. Don't worry about it aging as fast as some previous tick models. Most hardware and software is pretty mature by now.

X will be the most polished Gen 1 tick design ever for an iPhone.

Reactions: iScone

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
There's no issues in getting a 'gen 1' device from Apple. It's just another reach for people who want to justify not getting the X. It's clearly going to be the best iPhone yet by a country mile.

Reactions: tsturbo

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
The plus model is the one to buy for previous/current plus users. I see zero reason to buy an x this year when the 8 has all the same features except the screen (oled but smaller) and front camera system. It’s an easy decision.. wait a year or two. Software isn’t up to par yet either. The iOS system needs a full blown reboot but iOS 11 on the X isn’t New.. it’s old.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I'm hoping and waiting for an X+ next year. Also, my 7 is still running like new so it'd be really hard for me to justify spending over $500 (assuming I sell the 7) for not much of an improved experience

Reactions: unobtainium

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
The plus model is the one to buy for previous/current plus users. I see zero reason to buy an x this year when the 8 has all the same features except the screen (oled but smaller) and front camera system. It’s an easy decision.. wait a year or two. Software isn’t up to par yet either. The iOS system needs a full blown reboot but iOS 11 on the X isn’t New.. it’s old.

iPhone X has the larger screen at 5.8 inches, not your Plus at 5.5 inches; and yes, the X is OLED.

Your point regarding iOS 11 makes no sense either. Getting or not getting a newer phone won't help iOS 11.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Any time I've had a defect, I've simply taken it back for a no-cost exchange. There's never been a "Gen1" defect that was so extreme, it caused me to not be able to use my phone.

If I want it, I'll buy it. If there's something wrong with it, I'll return/exchange it. No need to make it more complicated than that IMO.

Reactions: fs454

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I don’t understand the “fear” of products like this. When has Apple ever not stood by their product one hundred percent?

Why not just hop on iUP this year and get the revised phone next year as well? It’s just such an oddly negative view of things. Assuming it’s going to be this terrible thing that’ll put you out $1000 with no recourse. The phone will work as advertised, as Apple products always have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.