Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Going to wait and not pre-order an iPhone X?

• Yes, it may be great but it's a big purchase.

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • NEED NOW

Votes: 98 79.0%

• Total voters

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
iPhone X has the larger screen at 5.8 inches, not your Plus at 5.5 inches; and yes, the X is OLED.

Your point regarding iOS 11 makes no sense either. Getting or not getting a newer phone won't help iOS 11.
Your assuming 5.8 because Apple told you that. It’s a marketing tactic. I’ve used the X twice now and it’s smaller than the plus 5.5 in useable screen real estate. iOS 11 has more enhancements for X. You’ll see when you play with an X for a bit. But it doesn’t change the fact Apple hasn’t enhanced the system enough for a brand new “revolutionary” future. Needs a ton of work!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
in many ways first gen design wise is the best value

S0 still looks like S3 minus red dot
6 looks like 8 body wise minus refinements
7/8 quite iterative of same 6 shape at least
2016 Macs will probably look the same as 2019 Macbook pros.

Hackett00

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I'm going to try to preorder an X for day one 1. if delivery date is too far out I'll cancel and hold on to my 6S+ or get a google pixel xl. If there are massive improvements with with the second iteration of the X AND in a plus size I'll get that, buy it out right, and give my X (if I get it) to a family member that I know can't afford annual or every two year upgrade prices. My family does enough for me, especially in the last year after I lost my dad to cancer. I have no reservations giving back a little a bit, even it if is a completely meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) item such as a phone. We take care of each other in little ways. I'll mow my grandma's lawn now that she can't do it, my uncles will help with preparing my mom's property for the coming winter, I'll throw someone a barely used newer generation phone completely paid off. It all works out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
They do tons of QA testing on these devices and on the off chance something is wrong you have a warranty to get a new device.

This. This is what makes Apple products so successful, it's not just the hardware quality standards they use, but the fact that their devices are thoroughly tested, even their refurbished line is tested thoroughly as well. Yes, there will be defects That occur, but also its the customer service that stands behind the Product.

Reactions: bnekic

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Man made products always have a defect or a problem, thing is Apple stands by the products 100% so what’s the fear?

Every year wether we wanna believe it or not is a first gen product even if they look the same there’s always underlying changes

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I've never had a major issue with any iPhone and I have owned them all except for the C and SE. I don't think the X will be any different. Not worried at all.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
While the iPhone X has tons of hype, and maybe it's great, who else is holding off on a pre-ordering? I am quite wary of the general issues that surround new designs, and perhaps, rushed production? I personally can't drop tons of money on a product without looking at the reviews and having a hands-on experience with the device. I'm willing to risk having to wait months for a new device since I have a 6S that still functions fine... anyone else in the same boat?

Were you cautious about the iPhone 4, 5, 6, 7? No?

I think you're taking things way overboard. But yes stay cautious and don't pre-order thanks :)

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
It's not like buying a car or something. Apple has the design/production process down pretty good.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
iPhone X has the larger screen at 5.8 inches, not your Plus at 5.5 inches; and yes, the X is OLED.

Your point regarding iOS 11 makes no sense either. Getting or not getting a newer phone won't help iOS 11.
The X has a smaller useable area than the Plus. It is narrower, which means photos and videos in landscape will look smaller. It is taller by a bit, but when you account for the Notch and ears at the top, and the swipe-up bar at the bottom, it’s only a few pixels taller. Everyone who has used it hands on says it has less useable area than the Plus. It also has shorter battery life despite having a larger battery.

Too many compromises for me. I’ll wait for the X Plus.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
The X has a smaller useable area than the Plus. It is narrower, which means photos and videos in landscape will look smaller. It is taller by a bit, but when you account for the Notch and ears at the top, and the swipe-up bar at the bottom, it’s only a few pixels taller. Everyone who has used it hands on says it has less useable area than the Plus. It also has shorter battery life despite having a larger battery.

Yes, well.. you see, the plus size is too large to be a convenient pocket sized phone for me. I'll use the iPad if I require a larger screen. I'm just annoyed that (until iPhone X) the smaller size was diminished in terms of features compared to the plus size. Don't forget, the original iPhone through the 4S was only 3.5 inch screen size. Those of us around for those managed to adapt to that size.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I agree that the first iteration of a new phone is much sought after for obvious reasons, but it's much improved the following year. And it's the little improvements that make the big differences with internal specifications and added features and capabilities for the "S" variant.

Solution = IUP

Get X now Xs next year.
[doublepost=1508864402][/doublepost]

Yep it's smaller. But my 7+ always seemed to big. So hopefully it will be perfect size. When I want a bigger picture I grab the iPad.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Your assuming 5.8 because Apple told you that. It’s a marketing tactic. I’ve used the X twice now and it’s smaller than the plus 5.5 in useable screen real estate. iOS 11 has more enhancements for X. You’ll see when you play with an X for a bit. But it doesn’t change the fact Apple hasn’t enhanced the system enough for a brand new “revolutionary” future. Needs a ton of work!

What were some of the enhancements? What part of the OS needs a lot of work? Just more so curious for what to expect.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
There's some validity to the OP's concerns. The 6 Plus (the first 5.7" iPhone) was quite glitchy when it came out. It wasn't the hardware, but the software, which wasn't ready for prime-time on that particular device. It was annoying but manageable.

I think iOS 11 is in better shape, particularly with the delay of the X which gave Apple time to get the OS updated to 11.1. Now the X itself is a much bigger leap in hardware than the 6 Plus was at the time. So we'll see and hope that Apple has dialed it in.

Personally I'm preordering Thursday night with great enthusiasm. I'll take the chance with Apple, knowing how hard they work to get it right, and how terrific their customer support is. I would not risk it with most other manufacturers.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
There's some validity to the OP's concerns. The 6 Plus (the first 5.7" iPhone) was quite glitchy when it came out. It wasn't the hardware, but the software, which wasn't ready for prime-time on that particular device. It was annoying but manageable.

I think iOS 11 is in better shape, particularly with the delay of the X which gave Apple time to get the OS updated to 11.1. Now the X itself is a much bigger leap in hardware than the 6 Plus was at the time. So we'll see and hope that Apple has dialed it in.

Personally I'm preordering Thursday night with great enthusiasm. I'll take the chance with Apple, knowing how hard they work to get it right, and how terrific their customer support is. I would not risk it with most other manufacturers.
There's no risk, you have 14 days to see if you like it. If not, return it for a full refund. Anytime I've ever tried returning anything I've usually been met with some level of resistance. When I returned my 2016 Macbook Pro, the return was done in about 30 seconds and they didn't even bother to look into the box. Apple really has a hassle free return policy. I should qualify my post by stating that this is assuming you purchase the phone from Apple. When I got my iPhone 7+ through Rogers, I could only return the phone within 14 days OR less than 30 minutes of talk time. If you happen to use the phone for one medium length call, you can no longer return the phone (not sure about US carriers)

Reactions: redman042

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Apples support is second to none, probably the only company I have no qualms about ordering anything from, there's always someone who will get it rectified there, even if it takes a try or two.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
While the iPhone X has tons of hype, and maybe it's great, who else is holding off on a pre-ordering? I am quite wary of the general issues that surround new designs, and perhaps, rushed production? I personally can't drop tons of money on a product without looking at the reviews and having a hands-on experience with the device. I'm willing to risk having to wait months for a new device since I have a 6S that still functions fine... anyone else in the same boat?

Yeap, think the same, my 6S will keep me going and I think the X looks fiddly to use, I’m not going to spend a grand or more without trying it out first that’s for sure! Currently think the 7 Plus may be an alternative.

Plus Apple has a pretty poor record with first gen product reliability.

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
There's no risk, you have 14 days to see if you like it. If not, return it for a full refund. Anytime I've ever tried returning anything I've usually been met with some level of resistance. When I returned my 2016 Macbook Pro, the return was done in about 30 seconds and they didn't even bother to look into the box. Apple really has a hassle free return policy. I should qualify my post by stating that this is assuming you purchase the phone from Apple. When I got my iPhone 7+ through Rogers, I could only return the phone within 14 days OR less than 30 minutes of talk time. If you happen to use the phone for one medium length call, you can no longer return the phone (not sure about US carriers)

Apples support is second to none, probably the only company I have no qualms about ordering anything from, there's always someone who will get it rectified there, even if it takes a try or two.

I agree with both of you. I know of no other company who goes out of its way to support a customer like Apple does. I once ordered some extra lightning cables for in-store pickup, back when lightning first came out and those cables were in very short supply. When I got there, they couldn't sell them to me because I preordered it under my wife's name and she wasn't with me. It was a strict policy they couldn't break. So instead they refunded the purchase and found two spares in the back which they gave me for free.

Also I preordered the Apple Watch when it first came out. I liked it so much but regretted choosing aluminum. I wanted stainless. They swapped it no questions asked within the 14 day window.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am not too worried. I had one issue with my iPhone 4 (dust in the camera module) that Apple replaced for me. besides that, I haven't had many issues with any of the new designs. There will be some software issues until apps get updated for the X though.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I'm not worried. It's a phone, if there's a problem, I'll get it resolved or if I really don't like it, I can replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.