Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I wish Apple would let us choose M1 when configuring MacBook Air and offer that config for the lower price. For basic usage M1 is still super fast.

thenewperson

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
They don’t make them forever. As someone linked there is still an M1 Air available, but that’s just an old product kept alive for the sake of maintaining a price point. Once it (and any other M1 iPads) are gone the M1 won’t be made anymore.

Reactions: Tagbert

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Unlike Intel which has the capacity to keep making old chips along with new ones, Apple has to have another foundry make its chips, so it needs all the capacity it can get. So once a new architecture is out, it significantly scales back production of older chips.

Apple is still having M1 chips produced as they're still using them in the iPad Air, of course. And they need to keep stocks of replacement parts for M1-based Macs around for a while, but they're likely not being mass-manufactured to where it would be cost-effective for them to offer M1 - M3 choices in all their machine. Not to mention it's almost certain that each requires a different-enough logic board that having so many options for their machines would become a nightmare of parts management.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I wish Apple would let us choose M1 when configuring MacBook Air and offer that config for the lower price. For basic usage M1 is still super fast.
I was under the impression the various Mx chips have a different pin out, so it would not be just a chip swap but would require a whole different motherboard

Reactions: Burnincoco

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Unlike Intel which has the capacity to keep making old chips along with new ones, Apple has to have another foundry make its chips, so it needs all the capacity it can get. So once a new architecture is out, it significantly scales back production of older chips.

Apple is still having M1 chips produced as they're still using them in the iPad Air, of course. And they need to keep stocks of replacement parts for M1-based Macs around for a while, but they're likely not being mass-manufactured to where it would be cost-effective for them to offer M1 - M3 choices in all their machine. Not to mention it's almost certain that each requires a different-enough logic board that having so many options for their machines would become a nightmare of parts management.
This. RN they are making multiple chips for MacBooks. The M1 for the Air and iPad, M2 for the iPad and MacBook Air's and Mac studio/pro, and the various M3 chips. They probably want to stop doing the M1 and M2 ASAP.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This. RN they are making multiple chips for MacBooks. The M1 for the Air and iPad, M2 for the iPad and MacBook Air's and Mac studio/pro, and the various M3 chips. They probably want to stop doing the M1 and M2 ASAP.
Likely the last M1 device (iPad Air) gets updated this month (as early as Monday), but the M2 will still be around in the new base MacBook Air and likely iPad Air, and of course the Apple Vision Pro (though that's a low volume product).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It really doesn't. TSMC has plenty of 5nm capacity to make M1 and M2 chips. And it's not as if a customer choosing a 5nm M1 will also buy a 5nm M2 chip.

Apple needs to ensure the billions sunk NRE costs in developing M1, M2, and M3 each meet the targeted sales numbers.

Reactions: Basic75

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
A laptop isn’t a salad at Chipotle. You can’t swap out beef for chicken. It’s a system that’s designed together. From power requirements, interface speed, periphery controllers, they engineer the entire system to be optimized for the SOC aka the brains of the entire thing.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Only to see it soon being dropped from OS support? No thanks.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Only to see it soon being dropped from OS support? No thanks.
Soon? M1 is like 2 years older than M3. M2 one year older. With your logic all the M1 users are screwed because the support is about to drop…? Then why people are able to use and actually plan to use their machines Mx machines for even 5-7 years?

Also with iPhones I’m able to buy 1-2 year old model with older chip and it will be fine for several years.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Soon? M1 is like 2 years older than M3. M2 one year older. With your logic all the M1 users are screwed because the support is about to drop…? Then why people are able to use and actually plan to use their machines Mx machines for even 5-7 years?

Also with iPhones I’m able to buy 1-2 year old model with older chip and it will be fine for several years.
I keep my devices a very long time. So I want to have as long support as possible. 2 years less would be not acceptable for me. Sure it’s not a topic for people who upgrade every few years.

hgfjhbvytjdnb

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
Then why people are able to use and actually plan to use their machines Mx machines for even 5-7 years?
Based on how they supported their laptops thusfar, you'll get 7-8 years official support for a given model from the moment that SKU was launched. You can actually (lol) plan whatever you want but that doesn't mean anything. So buying an M1 mac today means you have 3-4 years out of it until they stop supporting it. Whereas if you buy an M3 you'll get 7-8. It doesn't mean that hardware won't work longer. Quite contrary. You can thank Apple for that. Microsoft is following their suit.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Whereas if you buy an M3 you'll get 7-8. It doesn't mean that hardware won't work longer. Quite contrary. You can thank Apple for that.
It's weird, Apple is among the best with how many years of OS support they give their phones, but they are the worst when it comes to real computers. There is always Linux.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
If your goal is to save money, then it helps you that Apple has dropped the M1 Air, as that makes the model "outdated", which enables you to pick it up for a lower price either used (left) or from Apple's refurb store (right).

The stuff from the refurb store comes with a full warranty and, physically, is essentially indistiguishable from new. Thus it effectively gives you exactly what you want, assuming the configuration you desire is in stock.

1710342300471.png
1710342124620.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.