Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Its likely because the iPad doesn't have any of the cellular modules that the iPhone has. All of those antennae bands and licensing fees etc adds up.
Even when comparing against Ipad with cellular access? It seems like cell phones still have more so, but if somebody can quantify or go into more details, I'd like to know.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Do a Google image search of "ipad tear down" and "iphone tear down". The internals look to be the same size, only difference is the battery and screen sizes.

Did you measure it, what are size different?
I assume you already Google and have actual spec for comparison, other wise, why are you able to tell me they are the same?
Care to shared your google result?
Google is very big, result could be hundreds of pages, unless, that's how you always quote other people's comment and answer their question, always tell them to "Google ......."?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Did you measure it, what are size different?
I assume you already Google and have actual spec for comparison, other wise, why are you able to tell me they are the same?
Care to shared your google result?
Google is very big, result could be hundreds of pages, unless, that's how you always quote other people's comment and answer their question, always tell them to "Google ......."?

I think he meant, look to be the same, as in the price.

The 16 GB iPad air 2 with no wireless cost around 25$ more to make than the 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus at launch. The components with the biggest price delta were the battery and display.

The only reason apple charges more for the iPhone which is cheaper to make, is because they can.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
The only reason apple charges more for the iPhone which is cheaper to make, is because they can.
This. It's because for the longest time people were insulated from the true price through contracts, and now with all the payment plans, people still aren't really feeling the price compared to paying for an iPad in full up front.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has nothing to do with "miniaturization." If that were the case the iPod Touch would be nearly the same price. There is no excuse why it's so much more expensive.
iPod Touch doesn't have any cellular components.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
iPod Touch doesn't have any cellular components.

I know that. However, that still would not make up for the price gap. It's been many years since cellular technology has been miniaturized, and that is not the reason for the price difference. The answer is that there is no reason. Apple charges so much because they can.

Reactions: iZac

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I think he meant, look to be the same, as in the price.

The 16 GB iPad air 2 with no wireless cost around 25$ more to make than the 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus at launch. The components with the biggest price delta were the battery and display.

I understand what he might say, but I also understand how much cost involve in miniaturization of component circuitry, having working in design/testing for years.
Same circuitry design with different significant smaller component and smaller but higher layers count fab requirement will result into higher cost due to smaller component cost more, and higher later fab cost more.
Fab, is normally the highest cost component of circuitry design.
Working in design/testing job for years help me understand cost from experience.
I wish he would just come up with more info based on real life experience, not imagination opinion.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
So the iPad Mini should be more expensive than the iPad Air and Pro? :p

If it has same cpu/chips/memory/display-density/.... and PCB size is smaller, YES.
But mini does not have power of air or pro, so mini is cheaper.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If it has same cpu/chips/memory/display-density/.... and PCB size is smaller, YES.
But mini does not have power of air or pro, so mini is cheaper.

What about the Mini 2 and Air 1? They have the same internals but the Air costs more. For that matter, the Air 1 and Mini 4 are currently priced the same even though the latter is a generation ahead of the former in specs (ie. cpu, RAM, laminated display). Clearly for iPads the smaller the device the less you pay.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about the Mini 2 and Air 1? They have the same internals but the Air costs more. For that matter, the Air 1 and Mini 4 are currently priced the same even though the latter is a generation ahead of the former in specs (ie. cpu, RAM, laminated display). Clearly for iPads the smaller the device the less you pay.
There's also the aspect of more materials being used and perhaps different parts and manufacturers for those different parts (like the body, the screen, etc.).

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

iPad air is more expensive because it was release earlier when material cost is higher. iPad mini 2 is release one year later, when component cost is lower.

I constantly involved with material cost on the product I involved at work. Component cost lower not only year by year, sometime every couple month component cost could be lower.
Apple is no different than any other high tech HW company, always look for cost saving on the component, so COGS could get lower with same sale price, or prepare for lower sale price in short future of life time of product, so revenue could increase.

Last edited:

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
You might not need a phone, but for my job, and life I certainly do. While its not at the level of need like food and shelter, it is a requirement for me to earn a living, stay in touch with my wife and kids.

Good thing you weren't trying to make it 50 years ago.
I'm not sure how people ever made it.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
iPad air is more expensive because it was release earlier when material cost is higher. iPad mini 2 is release one year later, when component cost is lower.

I constantly involved with material cost on the product I involved at work. Component cost lower not only year by year, sometime every couple month component cost could be lower.
Apple is no different than any other high tech HW company, always look for cost saving on the component, so COGS could get lower with same sale price, or prepare for lower sale price in short future of life time of product, so revenue could increase.

The iPad mini 2 launched with the Air 1, not after, so there was never a disparity in material costs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPad mini 2 launched with the Air 1, not after, so there was never a disparity in material costs.
Well, even if they were launched at the same time, the material costs can still be different if they are coming from different manufacturers or through a different production line that yields less of one vs. another or something like that. There are many factors that go into costs/pricing.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
It's because the iPhone price is artificially inflated by the subsidies carriers have offered on smartphones. With carrier subsidies going away, and more people being exposed to the full price, I'm thinking iPhone prices will start to come down.

This. Since the introduction of the iPhone most people have seen it as a $200 device, which allowed Apple to price them unreasonably high and hide it from the end user. We might see some movement, but only if the majority of users aren't tricked by an inability to do multiplication when looking at installment plans.

Even when comparing against Ipad with cellular access? It seems like cell phones still have more so, but if somebody can quantify or go into more details, I'd like to know.

I'm sure there are additional R&D costs for getting all those components into such small cases, but in terms of total material costs an iPad is actually more expensive (larger screen and digitizer, more metal).

I'm not going to spend any time verifying the numbers, but I'm seeing $275 for an Air 2 and ~235 for a 6s+

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

iPad Air is improvement form iPhone 5s, but Mini2 is same design as iPhone 5s. iPad Air use Apple APL5698 A7 Processor improvement from 5s, iPad Mini2 use same A7 APL0698 process as 5s.
CPU, heart of product, is different.

Last edited:

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
iPad Air is improvement form iPhone 5s, but Mini2 is same design as iPhone 5s. iPad Air use Apple APL5698 A7 Processor improvement from 5s, iPad Mini2 use same A7 APL0698 process as 5s.
CPU, heart of product, is different.

If the Mini 2 is the same design as the iPhone 5s, why does it cost more to make the Mini 2 yet retails for less?

As for the CPU's of the mini 2 and iPad air having different process, they don't. They do have different part numbers and are slightly different, but the process is the same as the both use the 28nm process. The actual CPU die size and layout are the same for both CPU's, the only difference is one is POP and the other POB.

Can you explain why the 500$ 16 GB wifi iPad air 2 costs more to make than the 950$ iPhone 6 plus 128GB? You said that iPhones cost more because miniaturization costs more, if this is true the iPad should cost less.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If the Mini 2 is the same design as the iPhone 5s, why does it cost more to make the Mini 2 yet retails for less?

As for the CPU's of the mini 2 and iPad air having different process, they don't. They do have different part numbers and are slightly different, but the process is the same as the both use the 28nm process. The actual CPU die size and layout are the same for both CPU's, the only difference is one is POP and the other POB.

Can you explain why the 500$ 16 GB wifi iPad air 2 costs more to make than the 950$ iPhone 6 plus 128GB? You said that iPhones cost more because miniaturization costs more, if this is true the iPad should cost less.

I am tired of same answer, so if you don't understand, so be it.

"Component cost reduced with time. It is most expensive at FCS release"

Last call for repeated answer.

Added: by the way, you are comparing 16G vs 128G, which is like mini with full size SUV, small orange with large melon, 1 bed room condo with 5 bed room top of hill mansion. Does not make sense at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.