Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
Is there any way to know if an iOS app/game will be M1-compatible prior to release? Or do we simply wait until day 1 and look in our app store account page?

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Is there any way to know if an iOS app/game will be M1-compatible prior to release? Or do we simply wait until day 1 and look in our app store account page?
Ask the developer is the only option. It is automatically M1-compatible if the developer does not opt-out.

Reactions: pgharavi

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I wish Netflix or Disney+ was available as an App for the Mac since I would like to download content for offline playing (e. g. on the plane). Even stupid SKY and its horrible user experience did it.

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
Apple really shouldn't have marketed this as a major feature for Apple Silicon. I'm sure they knew that most developers would opt out immediately. I was looking forward to this, but then nearly every app I used opted out.

But why would they opt out?

Here's an example. Blizzard make a game called Diablo Immortal. It is designed for both touch, keyboard and controller. There is no reason whatsoever to not tick the checkbox and enable this game to be playable on the Mac.

It really makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
But why would they opt out?

Here's an example. Blizzard make a game called Diablo Immortal. It is designed for both touch, keyboard and controller. There is no reason whatsoever to bring not tick the checkbox and enable this game to be playable on the Mac.

It really makes no sense.
They don't think the app looks good or functions as well. They don't have time to test their app on yet another device. They don't want people emailing them or giving them bad reviews

Reactions: varezhka

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I am CTO of a small company with products that support hardware across all platforms except Linux.
On our featured product we aim for releases every 2-4 weeks.

Testing and support are huge issues. Expanding an app's target platform range requires people, equipment, and time not just for development, but full regression QA and support. We are finding that, especially with accessory hardware like Bluetooth, things don't "just work" across the range of hardware and Apple's OS releases.

We try to support it, but it often is not in the budget.

Reactions: varezhka

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I use two iOS apps on the MacBook that work okay. They're older and the developers never bothered making them not work. Haven't had updates in years.

I've recently tried side loading a few of the iOS apps I regularly use on my iPhone to the Mac, every single one of them had issues. I can see why developers opted to just make them not available on the Mac. The user base just probably isn't large enough to support the platform.

At least web apps work now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.