Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
I visit sxephil's YouTube channel quite freequntly, so I bookmarked it and tried to launch it from Siri but all she could muster up is:

"I don't see an app named 'sexy Phil bookmark'."

Hmm, this was pretty basic- I figured Siri was smarter than that... Never the less, I took it one step further and installed the bookmark to my homescreen, because that would make Siri recognize it as an app, right? WRONG!

IT'S RIGHT #$%*#$% THERE, YOU IDIOT!!!!

The founder would be appalled at this level of impenitence.

steve-jobs-angry.png

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I visit sxephil's YouTube channel quite freequntly, so I bookmarked it and tried to launch it from Siri but all she could muster up is:

Hmm, this was pretty basic- I figured Siri was smarter than that... Never the less, I took it one step further and installed the bookmark to my homescreen, because that would make Siri recognize it as an app, right? WRONG!

Steve Jobs was alive when Siri was being developed. Apparently he didn't think of it either.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
And Jobs was responsible for the last 3 years of development?
No logic. No basis. Just inane commenting.

Huh? Siri was released with the iPhone 4s. Jobs died after that phone was released. He apparently didn't think this feature was necessary then. He also left plans for the next four years. Didn't suggest it there either, apparently.

There are tons of features that would be useful that have not been implemented yet, quick reply being one such feature.

Send feedback to Apple, whining here doesn't do much. If you want any shot of Apple hearing you, you'd be much better off sending this to them.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH

You would think with such an integrated system that Siri could interact with anything on the device. I guess not.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Huh? Siri was released with the iPhone 4s. Jobs died after that phone was released. He apparently didn't think this feature was necessary then. He also left plans for the next four years. Didn't suggest it there either, apparently.

There are tons of features that would be useful that have not been implemented yet, quick reply being one such feature.

Send feedback to Apple, whining here doesn't do much. If you want any shot of Apple hearing you, you'd be much better off sending this to them.

Siri comes in handy if you're hands are busy like when you're driving or when the phone is in your pocket and you have headphones on while running.

What's the point of using Siri to open a bookmark? It's faster to open Safari and click the bookmark than to ask Siri to do it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Siri comes in handy if you're hands are busy like when you're driving or when the phone is in your pocket and you have headphones on while running.

What's the point of using Siri to open a bookmark? It's faster to open Safari and click the bookmark than to ask Siri to do it.
Well, if you are driving or running and you need to look up some information on a page you bookmarked perhaps?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's probably not a good idea to be browsing websites when driving!
A website with some sort of address/invite information or something like that? Not that different than using GPS, and probably less distracting than having Siri read text messages or emails that plenty of people do too.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Well... iOS 8? Every year they add things to Siri and I haven't been able to predict anything just yet.

hepcat72

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010

I have a great answer for this: you're rushing to get ready to get out the door and catch the next bus. You want to know what time it will arrive. You can go to the transit website and lookup the stop number, then go to their form for getting times for buses, enter the code and submit the form. You could just bookmark that page so the next time, you can just open it (the stop code is in the URL string). It would be so much easier if you could get Siri to give you the time of the next bus while you're getting ready by saying something like "Open 'Next Bus'". Using Siri is so much faster & more convenient when you're in a rush than performing a series of swipes and taps - whether it's saved to the home screen or is a bookmark in Safari.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I have a great answer for this: you're rushing to get ready to get out the door and catch the next bus. You want to know what time it will arrive. You can go to the transit website and lookup the stop number, then go to their form for getting times for buses, enter the code and submit the form. You could just bookmark that page so the next time, you can just open it (the stop code is in the URL string). It would be so much easier if you could get Siri to give you the time of the next bus while you're getting ready by saying something like "Open 'Next Bus'". Using Siri is so much faster & more convenient when you're in a rush than performing a series of swipes and taps - whether it's saved to the home screen or is a bookmark in Safari.

I think you're really stretching here..

If you're in THAT much of a rush, then you need to slow your life down a bit.

How about opening up the page in question before hand, and leaving safari open. Next time you need that info in a hurry, just unlock your phone. Safari will probably refresh the page automatically and you'll have your info.

Jeez, people. Do you want Siri to wipe your butt, too?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

How about opening up the page in question before hand, and leaving safari open. Next time you need that info in a hurry, just unlock your phone. Safari will probably refresh the page automatically and you'll have your info.

With an argument like that there shouldn't even be a need for anyone to use Siri at all. Perhaps not even phones either as we can write letters and use carrier pigeons. No need to hurry.

Seriously though, although there are certainly non-complex workarounds for various things, that's not really a rational argument for not reasonably wanting an already existing service that does more complex things to support some other generally less complex or even similarly complex things if the service is already there and is there to simplify things.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Steve? Steve Jobs? Is that you!? STEVE!!!!!

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010

My local mass transit has a location aware app. I use that.

You can save Safari bookmarks to the home screen, if that helps. You can also ask Siri to open Safari and then just select the bookmark, or if it's a frequently visited site, just keep a tab open in Safari with that site.

prett1969

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
I have a similar use case. I've got a couple of shortcuts on my home page to open and close my semi-smart Kevo deadbolt lock. Would love to be able to use Siri to launch them. Doesn't seem like it would be that heavy a lift from a programming perspective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.