Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
This seems like such a core feature. It should have been added to either control center and/or to Siri's database of functionality. It seems so 'ios6' to have to drill down into the settings to turn this on/off multiple times/day.

I have submitted feedback to Apple in hopes that they will add this feature at least to Siri for a future update.

Do others feel the same?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Probably because the vast majority of people don't change their caller ID settings either ever or beyond some one initial time (let alone multiple times in general and certainly on a daily basis).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That feature would be difficult to add to such a switch method due to how it must query the cellular service provider before it can show the switch state. This delay would cause problems when trying to quickly open the control centre and possibly waste energy querying the cell tower with every opening of the control center.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
This seems like such a core feature. It should have been added to either control center and/or to Siri's database of functionality. It seems so 'ios6' to have to drill down into the settings to turn this on/off multiple times/day.

I have submitted feedback to Apple in hopes that they will add this feature at least to Siri for a future update.

Do others feel the same?

control center has been designed to put in demand features for the vast majority a swipe away.

you, my friend, are in the vast minority. i've never met a single soul that needed to change their caller ID so often (if at all).

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
control center has been designed to put in demand features for the vast majority a swipe away.

you, my friend, are in the vast minority. i've never met a single soul that needed to change their caller ID so often (if at all).

What I am saying, is that with all of the improvements in Ios7, with regards to control center and Siri, that it would have been nice to see the option to toggle this on/off without having to go into the settings every time. It's more about simplicity and the ability to access certain settings quickly.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
What I am saying, is that with all of the improvements in Ios7, with regards to control center and Siri, that it would have been nice to see the option to toggle this on/off without having to go into the settings every time. It's more about simplicity and the ability to access certain settings quickly.

They can't put every setting in control center. What they could do is revamp the Settings app to work in a different way and maybe making settings like that more prominent.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you know how often your average person would use that feature? never. you know how often they use the other items in control center? often. so..........thats why.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

Do others feel the same?

With most providers, you can dial something before the number that will block your number from showing up for that call.

For example, Rogers (in Canada) is #31# then the number. Look up what it is for yours. I believe it will SHOW your number if you have your settings set to block it by default, so it essentially reverses it for that one call.

You can even program contact numbers with it included.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I can't think of a more useless toggle to add to control centre

...but then again I can hardly ever use the right "center", or is it "centre"? I dunno

Last edited:

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Anyone who ever calls me without presenting their number always gets to leave a message. It's usually just junk marketing calls anyway. I would find it more useful to have a setting that blocks calls with no caller ID.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
No, i feel like there is absolutely no need for this. The point of Control Center is for the most important features to be quickly available... not every toggle in Settings.

Riverton

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012

Why didn't Apple put the entire Settings app within Control Center? :confused:

Last edited:

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011

Do others feel the same?

Because not everybody calls their ex off a withheld number heavy breathing down the phone...

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

right, and what I'm saying is that they'll only put options in control center that everyone will want to use all the time. since almost no one uses this feature, it would annoyingly take up space for the 99.999% of people that use iPhones.

Siri on the other hand, I don't see why this functionality can't be implemented there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dial '*67' then the number.

You're welcome.
Possibly only in US with carriers that support that.

That said, can you do that (fairly simply/easily) when trying to call an existing contact?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why would somebody use that unless they were up to no good?

While I don't really need a toggle certain people could find this useful.

Myself for example. I do tech services and call customers all the time. When these businesses have issues at night or on Christmas Day etc guess who they call? The number they saved when I called them days/months/years prior...

A quick toggle would give me a convenient way to prevent this. My solution is to let 30 calls goto voicemail a day.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Screw your problem. I think the most core feature of the entire iPhone missing from control center is the toggle for iBooks auto-hyphenization. I mean so far I use it once every...two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.