Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danick_bmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
I’m stuck with my iPhone 8. It’s the only iPhone I can use right now. (And probably Iphone SE 2 and Iphone SE 3 as well).

I’ve tried using iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 Pro, but I get eye strain using them.

I guess in the case of the iPhone 13 Pro I can blame PWM. But the really weird thing is that my eyes hurt when I use iPhone 11, which has no PWM at all.

I’ve tried using them with Night Shift and True Tone on and off, I’ve also tried turning off Face ID and even taped it. Still didn’t help. This is so weird. Does anyone have the same problem?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
All iPhones have PWM. So either you're sensitive to it or you might be holding the phone too close. Fortunately, iOS 17 will help you if it's the latter. Settings adjustments may also help:

danick_bmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
All iPhones have PWM. So either you're sensitive to it or you might be holding the phone too close. Fortunately, iOS 17 will help you if it's the latter. Settings adjustments may also help:

I mean Iphone 11 has minimum PWM flicker as well as Iphone 8, since they both have IPS displays. I have no issues using Iphone 8. And I never hold my phone too close. That's why I find my situation weird.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
iPhone 11 (like iPhone 8) doesn't have PWM, so it's probably not that.

Maybe time to see an optometrist?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I had the same problem when I got the 11. Turning off True Tone fixed the issue for me. Also, Set Reduce motion to on as well in Accessibility. Enable Reduce Transparency.

I hope that helps, it did for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: danick_bmf

danick_bmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
iPhone 11 (like iPhone 8) doesn't have PWM, so it's probably not that.

Maybe time to see an optometrist?
I've been to several optometrists, they all say I got dry eye syndrome, but nothing serious. They can't tell why I got no problems with iphone 8, but can not use iphone 11.

danick_bmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2023
I had the same problem when I got the 11. Turning off True Tone fixed the issue for me. Also, Set Reduce motion to on as well in Accessibility. Enable Reduce Transparency.

I hope that helps, it did for me.
I've tried these adjustments too, but it did't help, unfortunately :(

Lampekap

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2021
Disable attention awareness and face id. First scans your eyes all the time. Just like their new vision device.

CodeCrusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I’m stuck with my iPhone 8. It’s the only iPhone I can use right now. (And probably Iphone SE 2 and Iphone SE 3 as well).

I’ve tried using iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 Pro, but I get eye strain using them.

I guess in the case of the iPhone 13 Pro I can blame PWM. But the really weird thing is that my eyes hurt when I use iPhone 11, which has no PWM at all.

I’ve tried using them with Night Shift and True Tone on and off, I’ve also tried turning off Face ID and even taped it. Still didn’t help. This is so weird. Does anyone have the same problem?
Look into Temporal Dithering. Lots of new Apple devices utilize this.

Kristoffer71

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
I used to have eye strain with iphone 11 but I don't anymore. It may be due to the fact that I disabled Face ID. I read somewhere that it scans one's face quite regularly with a sensor (infrared?).

I have also gone to Settings, Accessibility, Display and reduced White point to 85% while compensated for the reduced brightness by adding brightness the normal way. This reduces the liveliness of colors.

Reactions: Lampekap

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You must be extremely sensitive to PWM if you can be affected by an IPS panel. I don’t think there is much you can do other than to listen to your body and stick with whatever works best. The iPhone 8 will still be a fully operational phone for at least 2-3 more years even though it’s stuck on iOS 16.

Modern OLED iPhones are definitely not for you so you might want to give the SE3 a go before Apple discontinues them as the SE4 may end up using a different panel.

Reactions: shadowboi

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Since this is old forum post I am more than sure someone already answered but will try to answer anyway. All new iPhones use temporal dithering to emulate 10 bit colors on 8 bit displays. This results in rapid flickering-like pattern and our eyes have hard times with syncing the image in the brain. This results in headache and eye strain.

What may help:
- using matte screen protector, anti-spy screen protector
- using night shift and/or true tone
- using day mode during daytime and night mode when sun goes down
- obviously, diversifying your screen time: do not look at the content only on your smartphone. Shift to external display, laptop, tablet.
- use larger text size
- read less, watch more
- use default iOS font on all websites (available with some adblockers, I guess there is also setting in Safari experimental features)

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
You must be extremely sensitive to PWM if you can be affected by an IPS panel. I don’t think there is much you can do other than to listen to your body and stick with whatever works best. The iPhone 8 will still be a fully operational phone for at least 2-3 more years even though it’s stuck on iOS 16.

Modern OLED iPhones are definitely not for you so you might want to give the SE3 a go before Apple discontinues them as the SE4 may end up using a different panel.
I use SE 3. It uses dithering and it is still uncomfortable. Sure not as uncomfortable as any OLED+dithering iPhone such as 14 or 15, but still not as comfortable as my old 6s or 5

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I am sorry to hear that, shadowboi.

We moved my wife from a 6S to a 13 mini last month, and she is reporting no vision issues so far. I was dreading the possibility that she (or I ) would be the same boat as you.

I still haven't decided what to do when my 8 kicks the bucket or becomes too compromised to use safely on the internet.

• Sad
Reactions: shadowboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.