Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
I don't really understand why people are saying to skip the 13 and wait for the 14?

I see almost no innovation in it at all...

- notch vs pinhole... eh, guess it's nice?
- improved camera - I feel like these cameras are pretty maxed out already given their limited optics. Lidar on the non-pro models would be nice though.
- 120hz screen - i don't care at all. It's a phone and I plan to get the mini.
- cpu will prob be another +20-25% ipc bump

What I'd really like to hear about is improved GPS using a dual frequency receiver for high accuracy. Current iPhones are far behind android.

See here: https://medium.com/@importanttech/w...nd-found-some-surprising-results-b9ec35873e2e

But ya, I don't get the iPhone 14 hype at all.

• Haha
Reactions: miq

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Probably because the iPhone 13 will be more like an iPhone 12S and the iPhone 14 will be a new generation with a new design

Ya, there's no doubt the 13 is barely any different than the 12. Just a cpu bump and wi-fi 6e mostly.

For me losing the mini size though is what would probably push me to the 13 mini.

Reactions: 5105973

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not everyone is using the latest and greatest devices. So if they are looking at what the 13 is rumored to bring compared to the 12 series, it’s a pretty ho-hum update. Once you start tossing around things like titanium body, flush camera, no notch, the return of Touch ID, and form factor reminiscent of the iPhone 4/4S….that can get that crowd talking.

Reactions: 5105973

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
If real, then the hype is understandable as a redesign is always welcome.

I think it looks great, but I will be amazed if the renders are anything like the real thing. I can't see the camera being flush, but you never know.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
The notch is here to stay.

Apple didn’t spend all that time, money and effort to reduce the size of the notch only to scrap it the very next year.

The notch has become the iPhone’s identity. Apple wouldn’t want to lose that.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
It's a deflection. Since many of those leakers didn't get much information on the 13 they focus on the 14. Since it's a long way away it doesn't really matter if they are right or wrong ( most make things up ). Folks will forget. However their pages and tweets still grow.

Reactions: IJBrekke

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I don't really understand why people are saying to skip the 13 and wait for the 14?

- improved camera - I feel like these cameras are pretty maxed out already given their limited optics. Lidar on the non-pro models would be nice though.

What I'd really like to hear about is improved GPS using a dual frequency receiver for high accuracy. Current iPhones are far behind android.

See here: https://medium.com/@importanttech/w...nd-found-some-surprising-results-b9ec35873e2e

dissociative attachment disorder, compulsive obsession disorder or some other type mental disorder

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
If real, then the hype is understandable as a redesign is always welcome.

I think it looks great, but I will be amazed if the renders are anything like the real thing. I can't see the camera being flush, but you never know.

True, also would be nice to not have a notch. Losing a mini is a dealbreaker for me.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Nothing the iPhone 14 Leaks make ANY sense. Like No Camera Bump, So What ? 99% of people with 2 brains cells are gonna slap a $10 Amazon China case on their $1,200 new iPhone 14 anyways.

iPhone 13 ProMax is full of new Innovations

Like WiFi 6e, 120hz OLED Promotion Display. 5nm die, new LPDDR5 RAM we hope 8GB but likely 6GB the new iPhone 14 will get a new 3nm TSMC CPU likely allowing for an 8 Core CPU unlike the old 5nm 6 Core CPU in the iPHone 12 and iPhone 13.
But hey live your best life and don’t limit yourselves buy the iPhone 13 that you want.

• Haha

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Nothing the iPhone 14 Leaks make ANY sense. Like No Camera Bump, So What ? 99% of people with 2 brains cells are gonna slap a $10 Amazon China case on their $1,200 new iPhone 14 anyways.

iPhone 13 ProMax is full of new Innovations

Like WiFi 6e, 120hz OLED Promotion Display.

• Haha

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009

Apple didn’t spend all that time, money and effort to reduce the size of the notch only to scrap it the very next year.

Remember, Apple spent time, money, and effort to get rid of the home button in the iPhone 7 and replace it with a haptic button only to scrap it the next year when the iPhone X came out.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I’m more confused as to why people are putting so much weight in these rumors/renders. Anyone could make those renders, and we’ve had rumors for iPhones in the days leading up to the keynote that didn’t come true, so why are we trusting random renders from a over year away of release?

Just seems odd. I don’t know if it’s just people hoping the rumors are true, or what, but usually leaks like these don’t gain this much traction.

Seems unlikely that Apple will be doing a refreshed design after we just got the 12 redesign and we’re supposedly getting a notch reduction for the 13 too.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
My guess is it's because the leaked iPhone 13 leaks have been so underwhelming. People are looking to the 14 to scratch that itch.

Reactions: 5105973 and miq

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Ya, there's no doubt the 13 is barely any different than the 12. Just a cpu bump and wi-fi 6e mostly.

For me losing the mini size though is what would probably push me to the 13 mini.

ProMotion is going to be a huge upgrade. People are going to think the iPhone 13 Pro Max is 100x faster than the previous generation model due to the display tech alone. ?

• Haha

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Remember, Apple spent time, money, and effort to get rid of the home button in the iPhone 7 and replace it with a haptic button only to scrap it the next year when the iPhone X came out.
But they didn’t scrap the home button.

Hello iPhone 8 and iPhone SE2? They won’t be scrapping the notch anytime soon.

• Angry
Reactions: miq and pianostar9

tlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2017
Even though your analogy is bad (the amount of engineering that went into the haptic button is a fraction of what must have gone into the notch, and apple had been using haptic button technology in trackpads and nice for years and years beforehand), I agree that the sunk cost fallacy is a bad reason to expect Apple will delay ditching the notch.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
😂😂😂 people say this about every iPhone. If you’re ready to upgrade, do it. If not, don’t. Who cares what next year’s iPhone will be like? Get what you want/need now. There’s always something better coming down the road.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The notch becoming Apple's iPhone identity? LOL that's pretty sad. The notch is ugly and looks ridiculous in 2021, yeah in 2017 it was acceptable for the time, with FaceID being new, but now 4 years later it's outdated and looks horrible.

I'd much prefer a tiny hole punch in the center, and bring back TouchID like on the side of the power button or something.

Thank God for Dark mode, and apps that offer Black AMOLED settings, which help disguise the notch.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021

Yeah I think the reduced notch will make its way to the lower end devices (maybe the standard 14s and SE etc.)

Reactions: Tig Bitties
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.