Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
The notch becoming Apple's iPhone identity? LOL that's pretty sad. The notch is ugly and looks ridiculous in 2021, yeah in 2017 it was acceptable for the time, with FaceID being new, but now 4 years later it's outdated and looks horrible.

I'd much prefer a tiny hole punch in the center, and bring back TouchID like on the side of the power button or something.

Thank God for Dark mode, and apps that offer Black AMOLED settings, which help disguise the notch.
The “smaller notch” is laughable.

It doesn’t bother me but I’d rather wait for a true redesign before getting rid of my xs.

Why go from a notch phone to the same notch phone with a spec bump lol

Reactions: Tig Bitties

miq

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2020
The notch is here to stay.

Apple didn’t spend all that time, money and effort to reduce the size of the notch only to scrap it the very next year.

The notch has become the iPhone’s identity. Apple wouldn’t want to lose that.
Ahahahahha! Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
But they didn’t scrap the home button.

Hello iPhone 8 and iPhone SE2? They won’t be scrapping the notch anytime soon.
On their flagship they did, just because they kept selling cheaper and old phones doesn’t really mean much. They could get rid of it altogether today if they wanted, or next year, on just the pro models, and leave the notch on the non pro phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.