Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Nice thread!

I'm surprised by the variety of answers. I probably shouldn't be.

I enjoy photography because it allows me to see light in a way that "normal" people don't particularly think about. A nice sunset, I like to think, means something different to me than somebody who isn't familiar with the process of trying to record it.

I guess it's similar to how I like to (try to) surf because it gives me an appreciation for the ocean and for waves that non-surfers will never have.

Again probably similar to how race car drivers feel about cars and driving.

Other than that, I like both the technical and artistic challenge of getting a good photo. I spent a lot of my early time with camers trying to master technique and while I have clearly not achieved that, I like that now I know enough technique to be able to think about the artistic side more. The rest my life and my job (and me) aren't particularly arty, and I enjoy being able to explore this other side of me.

Finally, photography is a bit like golf or food as a hobby, in that wherever you go, you'll have something to do there.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
When I was young, I studied to be a writer. I think I was pretty good at it; others thought I was. However, it was very painful for me to write. Once I started, I couldn't stop, and it felt like my brain was on fire. So I tried to not start; it hurt too much. Eventually I was successful, and I stopped writing. That was not a bad thing. It was what I wanted.

I don't burn to take photographs. But when I take photographs, I burn to make them say something. As I said in the OP, I'm not claiming to be good at it; I'm only saying that the drive to do it well is the same as it was when I was young. If I'm going to add something to the world, I'm going to try to do it for a reason.

I like the indirectness of photography. I like the silence. When I wrote, I heard voices, I saw another world that invented itself in my mind as I worked. (Often I was shocked.) In photography, I get to be quiet and I try to be invisible. I get to be curious. I get to learn; learning how to physically use the tool is a joy for me.

My mind is very literal now. I like that. But still. When I pick up that camera, I am urged to say something with it, even if what I say is very small.

missclareski

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
Florida
I am an extremely sentimental person and therefore try to capture as many moments as I can... even if it is something seemingly minute but can be used to tell a story or emotion or essence of a person. There are so many elements to our everyday lives and usually only the "big moments" get captured. I like to capture the smaller moments. :)

Aside from my sentimental, candid photography, I tend to also love macro photography. Maybe it's a parallel to my sentimental mindset because I try to capture the essence of an object... a new perspective or often overlooked detail.

:)

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
I never had many pictures of myself as a child and I constantly wonder what I was like back then - I don't want my children to ever have that same itch that they can't scratch. I am basically documenting my kid's lives :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.