Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I don’t like bold text, how can I make it that the font in the notes app is same as it was in iOS 12 and prior iOS versions? Every new note I start has a bold font by default for some reason in iOS 13

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I don’t like bold text, how can I make it that the font in the notes app is same as it was in iOS 12 and prior iOS versions? Every new note I start has a bold font by default for some reason in iOS 13

The app is automatically defaulting the first line to a "title" font format. You will need to manual change the font format to "body".

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
The app is automatically defaulting the first line to a "title" font format. You will need to manual change the font format to "body".
How do i do that? can i make it so thats not BOLD by default every single time?

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
How do i do that? can i make it so thats not BOLD by default every single time?

I haven't looked into how to change the default yet. To do it one time, you will need to look at the bottom of the note you're creating, there should be font options to select (similar to when you want to change fonts in MS Office).

Lucy shoes

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
I have used notes for the last three years to dictate medical notes in the field. As a home nurse. This new default bold feature is quite frankly BS. I shouldn’t have to go through a bunch of extra steps to turn off such a ridiculous setting. The bold should be the option not the default. It really screws up notes in my charting and takes extra time I really would rather be more efficient, And not have to push a bunch of buttons to turn the damn thing off. this is crap simply put. Why do they keep fixing something that’s not even broken!!
[automerge]1573881632[/automerge]
Thank you!
Omg! You saved my life. Thank you so very much!!!
I thought I would have to change each one every single time. Thank you again and again??

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Change this to anything you want.

Attachments

• 9822CE5D-9A06-4DFE-AF02-9FE98F05714F.jpeg
    9822CE5D-9A06-4DFE-AF02-9FE98F05714F.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 300

klatt

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
On all MacOS installs that I have, the "New notes start with:" setting was set to "Title"

The behavior has always been:
  1. Create a new note
  2. Type in note title -> formats as a Title.
  3. Hit enter, begin typing body -> format changes to Body - body text is NOT bold.
However, on one MacOS install that I have, it goes like this:
  1. Create a new note
  2. Type in note title -> formats as a Title.
  3. Hit enter, begin typing body -> format changes to Body - body text is bold.
  4. Select body text and remove bold.
The recommendations here to change the setting for "New notes start with:" to "Body" do technically work in that now your body text isn't bold. However, now, if I want my note to have a title, I have to add in an extra step to change the TITLE formatting, which is almost just as annoying.

I think the proper behavior is to have the title formatted as a TITLE in bold, and then when hitting enter to type the body, it should switch to body text without the bold.

Hitting enter after the title and body text staying bold would seem to be a bug since when I delete every piece of content within a note, then manually format the title as a title, then hit enter it now somehow knows to switch off of bold for the body text.

I was able to get back to the original, correct behavior by switching the setting to "body" as others have suggested, creating a note, deleting it, then going back to preferences and switching it back to "title" - Now when I create a new note, I can type the title formatted properly, hit enter, then start typing my body WITHOUT IT BEING BOLD. Hallelujah!!!

• Love
Reactions: SalisburySam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.