Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
You can't rip a CD at 24 bit. CD audio is 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. What you can do, but shouldn't, is convert a CD rip to a 24 bit file, but it's completely useless. The only thing you're digitally adding are zeroes.
Yes I read this after on an audiophile thread 🤦‍♂️

There were lot of sound engineers saying there is no point to 24 but as so hard to tell and it’s mainly used for producing albums.

My only argument is that Apple Music lossless and sounds way better on my macbook m3 pro than my cd lossless rips.

Im guessing that ia spatial audio element?

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
I’m in the same boat and I’m gutted they don’t sell lossless for downloading. I have a fairly large music library which I’ve built over the last 30 + years and it’s all been ripped into iTunes. I abandoned this the other year and went with Apple music which I think is a shame and a waste So I’ve just cancelled Apple Music last week and am going back to my old collection And manually syncing to my phone.

the only problem is I’ve just realised home pods won’t play your itunes and it only works with Apple music 🤷‍♂️

im 40 now so I might just settle on The fact that i Can’t take my music with me so what’s the point of buying it in the first place! I might as well just rent it?
I know its been awhile, but from what I understand HomePods will if you purchase iTunes Match for 25$ a year and play it from your iCloud Music Libary. I remember seeing the specifics on reddit.

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
Due to file system issues, I just had to delete all my downloaded music and now I’m redownloading it all. Interestingly I’m noticing that quite a few of my purchased songs are being downloaded as HLS media. Many more are changing their file kind from Purchased to Protected - no idea what that means for playback or quality. Guess I’ll see when it’s done. Anyway, it does seem like Apple is quietly replacing the content in the store to atmos and lossless.

I’d say 90% of my matched music is being downloaded as HLS.
the matched music yes, but purchases no.

Edit: I could be wrong about this, but this is the first I've ever seen on it

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I know its been awhile, but from what I understand HomePods will if you purchase iTunes Match for 25$ a year and play it from your iCloud Music Libary. I remember seeing the specifics on reddit.

iCloud Music Library is also part of Apple Music, I can stream anything that's not in Apple Music to my HomePods just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.