Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Charging a phone in a case is one thing but using a charger in a case to charge a phone in a case is something else...

2018 iPhone models and newer seem to be okay with 20W charger or higher but wireless charging is highly inefficient due to inherent loss [energy/power]

If you need to charge the iPhone for a short period of time, wired charger with higher capacity is the way to go, at the cost of faster battery life depreciation but if you have enough time and not going to use it for several hours, 10W or lower should be good enough...

Reactions: shadowboi

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I love fast charging and my battery is in great condition after 3 years. Fast charging is great, don’t be like that dumb guy on Reddit. Lucky he didn’t burn down the house. Who puts a case on charger for aesthetics. There is no data or proof to say slow or fast charging is better than the other. iPhone regulates in so many ways, it’s moot point anyways.

nathansz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2017
I think the charger itself is irrelevant here

the fact that you didn't take the packaging off strikes me as the culprit

shadowboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Wow. Glad that discussion generated so many responses:)

I absolutely agree with all points about original Apple chargers and to never use charging case on top (I never THOUGHT there are charging cases before I saw this post lol). I myself use only original ones and I doubt anything will make me change this decision, even if they start selling them at 100€/brick (after all, I have 1500€ smartphone. It is not the best way to save money).

As for the smart algorithms that prevent such nasty stuff as overcharge and also all the smart circuitry I do understand this. Still somehow afraid “what if one day there will be a system bug that will fry battery?”.

5W is WAAY TOO safe on my side I think. I would probably go with 12W if I can find one. I have two Samsung 15W bricks, although those are very HQ and well-priced still afraid to use them with iPhones. I mean I have one at home but it isn’t mine😄 Sorta afraid of Apple’s 20W still. It came with my iPhone but because I purchased it while I was in UK, I have to rely on finicky adapter (that is probably cheap temu stuff) to use it in NL and other places throughout Europe

Reactions: 4sallypat

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I think there is a huge difference between buying a charger off of some shady site and using an Apple charger. I used to charge on the Apple 5w charger overnight. Now with USB-C I use the 20w Apple charger. So I’m not into the fast charging, but I think as long as you use an Apple or Apple approved charger you’re fine. Yes, I get the impact to battery health. You could always use the 5w Apple charger and a USB-A to C cable to charge your iPhone if you’re concerned.

I still charge my iPhone 15 with Apple’s 5W charger overnight and Apple’s 20W only when I really need a fast topup, which is quite rare.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Who says fast charging a Tesla is bad.
New studies are showing it has negligible impact due to advanced BMS (Battery Management Systems).

I fast charge my Ford between 90-100% using Tesla Superchargers - not an issue since I am not planning on keeping her after 3 years when the warranty expires.

View attachment 2413510
Tesla is an interesting observation. I also thought about this example before writing up a post. There is one particular thing Tesla has — cooling fans to cool battery while charging. This is why they couldn’t find any difference – fast charging + cooling is mostly okay

Reactions: 4sallypat

Drosera

macrumors regular
May 9, 2020
Really getting into the weeds here but... is it better to charge your phone screen down or up? Where is the battery located and where does heat dissipate best?

Also wonder if there's a surface that's better - could it be propped up so that most of the body is surrounded by air for example?

Reactions: shadowboi

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
You're conflating things together that you don't understand and drawing conclusions that are not true.

Wireless charging, fast charging, overnight charging, charging while using ...absolutely NONE of these things will affect the battery health in a meaningful way. Emphasis on the word meaningful. All use of the battery, charge and drain, "affects" its health. Doesn't mean that the effects are meaningful, or will translate to any sort of noticeable impact to real world usage any time during the normal lifespan of the phone.
Wireless charging, fast charging, and charging while using, mean the battery is at an elevated temperature. Heat causes acceleration of battery wear, which is a scientific fact. They meaningfully contribute to degradation of the battery whether you want to believe it or not, and are very much noticeable over the life of the phone.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Really getting into the weeds here but... is it better to charge your phone screen down or up? Where is the battery located and where does heat dissipate best?

Also wonder if there's a surface that's better - could it be propped up so that most of the body is surrounded by air for example?
Good to charge it on heat-dissipating surfaces like wood or glass. Another lifehack to lessen heat is to plug charger and then turn off the phone – almost ice cool and even manages to charge faster.

I would not advise to put phone on the screen to prevent any unfortunate episodes such as cracking the display or scratching it

Reactions: Drosera

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2006
I opened my iPhone and put a case directly on the processor to, you know, make sure it was well protected. And I thought it looked cool. Everything was fine, but the next day a little bit of smoke came out of it and then I realized my iPhone was fried, I really don't know why.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Wireless charging, fast charging, and charging while using, mean the battery is at an elevated temperature. Heat causes acceleration of battery wear, which is a scientific fact. They meaningfully contribute to degradation of the battery whether you want to believe it or not, and are very much noticeable over the life of the phone.
I take my phone in to sauna and steam 4-5 teams a week. If heat degrades the battery was a fact, my battery would have been fried by now after 3 years.

Reactions: Andeddu

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

iPhone regulates itself, if only people could regulate the anxiety over batteries. You don’t have to baby sit to this level.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
iPhone regulates itself, if only people could regulate the anxiety over batteries. You don’t have to baby sit to this level.

There is no battery anxiety, just looking for a more sound and simple way of prolonging its natural lifespan. Just as we can look after our own health. Simple care.

In fact, plugging my iPhone in overnight before going to sleep eliminates any sort of anxiety. 😉

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

There is no battery anxiety, just looking for a more sound and simple way of prolonging its natural lifespan. Just as we can look after our own health. Simple care.

In fact, plugging my iPhone in overnight before going to sleep eliminates any sort of anxiety. 😉

You are both right. For me personally i just like to be efficient with my charging, so charge slow (5 and 12w) when not in a rush and use my plethora of fast chargers (Ideally 20w) when i'm in a rush. The options are there for us to use as we need to.

Reactions: one more

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Agree!
I don't worry about charging fully at high rates.

Battery management systems are way more advanced these days than the old NiCd and NiMh battery days.

Even now I keep seeing people charging all their batteries to 80% or 90% and never fully charging as if 100% means certain death.

This has also translated to EV car owners - undercharging to keep their batteries from overheating, memory, loss of range, etc...

OTOH I charge all my devices including my EV to 100%....

People are strange creatures of habits.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020

I agree that there's nothing wrong with starting healthy charging routines from the get go, as long off course as it doesn't interfere with your daily schedule of actually living.

There's such a plethora of posts asking about this (wish people would use search more often) that it may appear that there's an over the top obsessiveness in this regard.

Anecdotally when I bought my Mini 13, knowing the battery be a weak point, I asked an Apple employee there what the best charging habit to prolong battery life would be. With a straight face he said:

"charge as little as possible" :)

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

There too many variables you can’t control which actually degrade battery. I can control lot about my body, not so much with batteries. One thing I can control about battery and helath is not to stress and lower my own life span. There is an unhealthy obsession over batteries.

Reactions: Neofox

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Agree!
I don't worry about charging fully at high rates.

Battery management systems are way more advanced these days than the old NiCd and NiMh battery days.

Even now I keep seeing people charging all their batteries to 80% or 90% and never fully charging as if 100% means certain death.

This has also translated to EV car owners - undercharging to keep their batteries from overheating, memory, loss of range, etc...

OTOH I charge all my devices including my EV to 100%....

People are strange creatures of habits.
Yep. Most if not all of it are narratives and opinions with no data to back them up. I take my phone to sauna and steam rooms multiple times a week, and yet is supposed to degrade battery life. The devices these days have multiple algorithms unlike in the past. The te h has come along from the days Samsung phones could burn down houses or were banned on the planes.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I opened my iPhone and put a case directly on the processor to, you know, make sure it was well protected. And I thought it looked cool. Everything was fine, but the next day a little bit of smoke came out of it and then I realized my iPhone was fried, I really don't know why.
Was it aesthetically pleasing?

• Haha
Reactions: PsykX

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Nothing wrong with fast charging except you pay for it through reduced battery health.

Many people want speed these days because they're on their phone most of the day.

Some are more willing to pay to play, simple as that.
The negative impact of consistent demand for instant gratification. Even on charging. Despite the physics say no.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
fast charging is better because it charges the phone faster in the same amount of time

no wonder apple doesn’t trust its users with side loading
At the same time such black white approach is just too blunt. So there should be a middle ground.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
At the same time such black white approach is just too blunt. So there should be a middle ground.

we are at the mercy of the phone charging algorithms now because there is no other protection against an apple user who buys the cheapest electrical hardware off temu

now someone else might use a slow charger for overnight/stationary times and otherwise have a properly rated cable for their GaN brick…

but these are people who deliberately do not educate themselves while simultaneously buying the cheapest crap they can find

Reactions: TechnoMonk

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
we are at the mercy of the phone charging algorithms now because there is no other protection against an apple user who buys the cheapest electrical hardware off temu

now someone else might use a slow charger for overnight/stationary times and otherwise have a properly rated cable for their GaN brick…

but these are people who deliberately do not educate themselves while simultaneously buying the cheapest crap they can find
Apple is extremely conservative when it comes to charging algorithms compared to others. Apple doesn’t want law suites and free battery replacements/recall. I had to once charge my iPhone with 140 W mag safe charger on a trip. It didn’t over heat or did anything different than a regular charger. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual regulation happens in iPhone at software and hardware level.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.